Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
    Did anyone else think Roma was flirting with Jubilee? Touching her chin and saying "Jubilation. What a beautiful name." was so out of the blue (edit: or am I forgetting some scene where they shared a moment in a previous issue?).
    I read it more as an attempt to manipulate.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    They better not be setting up Jubilee to ‘relieve’ herself of the ‘burden’ of a baseline child

When you put it like that, it sounds so bad (lol), but I do think Shogo is holding Jubilee back as a character. At this point, we should've seen a grown up, confident Jubilee in full control of her powers (AKA not as a vampire) on one of the flagship teams like Cannonball, Magik, Monet, Karma, Husk, Dani, and now Synch have done but we still haven't, which is crazy to me. I partially blame Shogo for that.
    Last edited by davetvs; 10-07-2021 at 08:17 AM.

The Shogo angle is weird because he doesn't have to be attached to Jubilee's hip all the time. I know she's a new mother to an infant, but it's kind of weird. She could just, like, get a babysitter. My hope with the Roma stuff is that Jubes still keeps her kid, but lets the fairies babysit him from time to time. That way, we can get stories with Jubilee on her own and not have to worry about her kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    The Shogo angle is weird because he doesn't have to be attached to Jubilee's hip all the time. I know she's a new mother to an infant, but it's kind of weird. She could just, like, get a babysitter. My hope with the Roma stuff is that Jubes still keeps her kid, but lets the fairies babysit him from time to time. That way, we can get stories with Jubilee on her own and not have to worry about her kid.
    I feel like it’s reflects very poorly on writers ability to creatively write parents. People have entire world changing careers with kids at home, so Jubilee should be able to do her “job” as a superhero without constantly talking about Shogo. Of course, being a parent should give her a different perspective and the occasional storyline centered around Shogo (and maybe co-parenting with Chamber) would provide nice balance.

And yes to your solution! Having magical babysitters is a much better solution than giving up the child she adopted.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm just waiting for Mordred to show up and run his sword through Arthur thereby fulfilling the prophecy then decapitate Merlin for being an awful PoS for imprisoning his father. (I know I know...but that's my dream ending)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

I really really really do hate how Excalibur is the Colonize all the countries book.

I mean, Captain Britain and all that

but it's not even played like the satire it damn well should be.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    I really really really do hate how Excalibur is the Colonize all the countries book.

I mean, Captain Britain and all that

but it's not even played like the satire it damn well should be.
    eh, most X books have some ting of colonization and imperialism in them... its just a part of the new Krakoan era.

I personally love Excalibur for the potential it has. I want it to be Game of Thrones/King Arthur meets Mutankind, but it tends to stray from that. This issue pretty much nailed everything I expected from the series.

I wonder if we'll be getting the Avalon mutants + Apocolypse's kids coming together, are they enough to fight Merlin and Arthur? Whats Mordred's powers, and whose side is he even fighting on? Will the Twilight Blade be popping up?

I really like the Otherworld, so I hope no matter the conclusion that Mutantkind maintains a foothold there.

That was an odd issue. We have two halfs that are totally unrelated to each other.

The first half in Sevelith was quite interesting. Great looks and interesting dialogue regarding Otherworld's politics.

The second half with the trial... meh. Betsy giving the empowering speech (Howard must think she has to do it every issue).

At least we have the war brewing, so we can move on from this Arthur/Merlyn crap.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    When you put it like that, it sounds so bad (lol), but I do think Shogo is holding Jubilee back as a character. At this point, we should've seen a grown up, confident Jubilee in full control of her powers (AKA not as a vampire) on one of the flagship teams like Cannonball, Magik, Monet, Karma, Husk, Dani, and now Synch have done but we still haven't, which is crazy to me. I partially blame Shogo for that.
    Really? Because she wasn't really doing great before Shogo. Sidelined after Generation X ended. Written really badly by Chuck Austen. Reduced to a damsel-in-distress by M-Day. Vampirized. I mean, I guess you could argue that this was all because the generation that grew up with her hadn't moved into creative roles at Marvel yet. But, if anything, they should use her status as a parent to emphasize her newfound maturity and the importance of found family with her. And when necessary, have a babysitter or nanny actually watch Shogo.

The idea of "Do children sideline characters" has a weird chicken-and-the-egg factor to it. Fans are convinced that having a child will sideline a character. However, with a few exceptions (notably Invisible Woman and Spider-Woman), it's usually the other way around. The characters who get to have children are usually the ones that don't hold solo titles or keep consistent places in teams, so editorial feels more confident in taking that risk. There's a reason it's characters like Jubilee, Tigra and Meggan and not characters like Storm or Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiko View Post
    I personally love Excalibur for the potential it has. I want it to be Game of Thrones/King Arthur meets Mutankind, but it tends to stray from that. This issue pretty much nailed everything I expected from the series.

I wonder if we'll be getting the Avalon mutants + Apocolypse's kids coming together, are they enough to fight Merlin and Arthur? Whats Mordred's powers, and whose side is he even fighting on? Will the Twilight Blade be popping up?

I really like the Otherworld, so I hope no matter the conclusion that Mutantkind maintains a foothold there.
    I'm hoping we'll see the Avalon mutants and A's kids come together but I'm not sure they'll be enough to take down Merlyn, especially if Morgan shows up to assist him. Jamie is of course super powerful but against magic, I dunno. I don't know much about Mordred so it's probably a crapshoot as to which side he'll be on.
    I also feel a double cross is coming, though I'm not sure where yet.

I think it was teased in a future solicitation that the Citadel falls so that's not a great sign for the mutants and Saturnyne.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I'm hoping we'll see the Avalon mutants and A's kids come together but I'm not sure they'll be enough to take down Merlyn, especially if Morgan shows up to assist him. Jamie is of course super powerful but against magic, I dunno. I don't know much about Mordred so it's probably a crapshoot as to which side he'll be on.
    I also feel a double cross is coming, though I'm not sure where yet.

I think it was teased in a future solicitation that the Citadel falls so that's not a great sign for the mutants and Saturnyne.
    Yeah, the Mutans have some heavy hitters on their side, but the Magic and numbers of the opposition seems unfuckwithable. Avalon will need some kinda outside force to shift the battle-- maybe Mercator and Jim Jaspers?.

Somebody has to guard Dryador and the Great Rift so Amenth is kept at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiko View Post
    Yeah, the Mutans have some heavy hitters on their side, but the Magic and numbers of the opposition seems unfuckwithable. Avalon will need some kinda outside force to shift the battle-- maybe Mercator and Jim Jaspers?.

Somebody has to guard Dryador and the Great Rift so Amenth is kept at bay.
    I'm hoping Jaspers will change his tune cause as of right now he seems completely disinterested. But if the war hits his wallet that may change, haha. Mercator could be a complete wild card that appears out of nowhere.

Good point about the Great Rift. Maybe it will accidentally be opened and •-[A]-• will return to stomp everyone for ruining his honeymoon.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

For me, Jubilee having Shogo just made her even more relatable than ever. Her considering dumping him off in fairy land was so horrible it took me out of the issue. She was great with him with better writers, like in Patsy Walker aka HELLCAT!. But seriously, how many stories are there of fairies stealing/luring away babies for evil ends? Its almost a horror trope in and of itself!

Out of curiosity, I went back and re-read the very first issue of Excalibur. The entire plot starts like this:
    1) Morgan finds Krakoan flowers tainting her powers in her scrying pool when she's trying to fight off an invasion. Says the royal family is gone and no one knows where they are. Can tell they're from Earth
    2) Morgan threatens some magic users about what the flowers are. They say they're a mutant thing and they're new. She storms off and calls an emergency meeting in Otherworld with Captain Britain.
    3) Apocalypse knows the gate that appeared connects to Otherworld before anyone else does, and clearly manipulates Rogue and Jubillee to get involved, YMMV but he feels like he's lying through his teeth.
    4) Brian and Betsy teleport into Morgan's throne room to see what's going on, and Morgan is like "Oh, my champion brought me a mutant to kill for invading my realm", and they respond with their wonder twins schtick.

So to go from that to Betsy doubting Brian for being human is just wild. And they're literally colonizing the Otherworld and treating it like their fantasy playground. Its like those stories of British people treating India like a Disneyland vacation

Art was great etc but i been combing this thread trying to figure out if anyone was as confused as me by bei seemingly talking when cypher can't even speak to her. that took me all the way out the book and now i'm wondering if i missed something.

edit: should have googled it first her voice is translated psionically to others except doug can't understand it. that was the piece i was missing.

edit 2: the leaving shogo thing also took me out for a second too pkingdom. i was like "someone really just asked a person to leave their baby somewhere. and jubilee is the selfish one?? really. ok." glad she was "selfish"
    Last edited by jwatson; 10-07-2021 at 06:52 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/