Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Excalibur #24 Review/Spoilers

Trial of the Captains Britain.

Probably my favorite issue thus far! Everyone got a little shine and we have some new characters hanging with Excalibur.

We open with the preview of Betsy meeting with the Countexes who are vague with their answers regarding the assassin who came for Excalibur last issue. She leaves, on her way to meet with Death.

Gambit is in the Crooked Market and has started his own little side business of gathering items from Earth and selling/trading them with the locals. With the UK gate unaccessible, there's great demand for Earthly things. He's confronted by Mad Jim Jaspers who warns him not to do business in HIS market. Gambit offers to give him a cut and some English tea. Jaspers uses his powers to turn Gambit into a maid (great look!) who is serving Jaspers tea, saying he can make whatever he wants. Gambit reminds Jim that he too is a mutant and that mutants are targeted right now. Jaspers brushes him saying, "That only matters if you're poor! Which I'm not!" and walks away.

Jubilee and Shogo are in the Floating Kingdom of Romapolis Regina hanging out with Roma. Shogo is flying around enjoying his best life while Roma explains to Jubilee that children have the potential to dream themselves in magic in Otherworld, and that being on Earth ages Shogo and he loses his strength of magical imagination with each passing day. Jubilee admits that among the fae folk is where he might be meant to be but she's not leaving him anytime soon, riding off with him.

Rictor, Shatterstar and Bei are in the former province of Dryador, scouting the desolate, abandoned area to see if anyone has taken residence. Bei notes that nothing has grown on the land, speculating even the land is afraid of Amenth after the place was destroyed. Rictor mentions it has nothing to be afraid of because he will not be opening the door to Amenth out of respect for •-[A]-• and his decision to stay with his wife. Bei and Shatterstar seem to be getting along nicely, as he and Ric are all cute and cuddly.

Betsy is dueling with Death as they discuss the plight of mutants in Otherworld and how war is brewing. Betsy offers to "free" Death if at any time he wants to leave. He says he's fine and says if war comes, he has the mutants' back. Betsy thanks him for the support and mentions that Storm was right about him being a charmer. Then this adorable panel...

Excalibur, including Shatterstar, sit around a campfire just outside the Starlight Citadel. Betsy tells them this might be their last night of peace in the shadow of the Citadel as the Trial of the False Captains Britain is in the morning.

(I'm going to move fast now because a lot happens.)
    The trial is for the Gambit, Rogue, and Rictor Captain Britains. They were accused of taking these titles under their own actions and were sentenced, awaiting execution. Betsy demanded an appeal and starts testifying on their behalf when the other Betsy CB Corps bum-rush and grab Merlyn who snuck in. Turns out Arthur is outside the Citadel with an army which includes the Furies. Long story short, they want mutants out and will overthrow the Citadel if they must.

Excalibur meets them outside, words are exchanged between Betsy and Arthur over who is the rightful ruler of Avalon and they start fighting. The Braddock family joins the fight and so does Bei.

Inside, Merlyn reminds Saturnyne of how she once agreed with him about mutants but that she's been woo'd by them. He says, "Every kingdom will have to decide: Are these witchbreed beloved freaks? Or - and this is what I think - an invading species who are taking over a new and unfamiliar world?! Saturnyne is read to throw down with him but he vanishes from the grip of the Corps, saying as he leaves, "Enjoy your war, witchbreed. You have certainly earned it."

Outside the war rages on.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Spectacular Member sensormellow's Avatar

omg Rictor and Shatterstar <3333333

And Betsy was TURNING LOOKS.

Quote Originally Posted by sensormellow View Post
    omg Rictor and Shatterstar <3333333

And Betsy was TURNING LOOKS.
    Right? She looked amazing when returning to the horse carriage.

She was sure and confident and commanding.

Right on time for war.

She was sure and confident and commanding.

Right on time for war.
    She absolutely was a true leader here. I love when she's with the Corps and fighting alongside her family.

Bring on the war. I can't wait for Death to join the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    She absolutely was a true leader here. I love when she's with the Corps and fighting alongside her family.

Bring on the war. I can't wait for Death to join the fun.

Loving the big hero moments so close to the finale (also the page where she threatened Arthur - with all of Excalibur + her family and Bei and Shatterstar). Also Death is a simp lol.

Loving the big hero moments so close to the finale (also the page where she threatened Arthur - with all of Excalibur + her family and Bei and Shatterstar). Also Death is a simp lol.
    Yeah it seems like this series will go out with a bang.
    Death was shook to hear Storm had anything to say about him. LOL!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I really enjoyed this issue very much. This is what I've been waiting for.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

All wrong with Gambit on this issue ... I like Jim Jasper and have always found him interesting, but the writing doesn't help.
    this book cannot have a restart or cancel fast enough.

Garbage.
    Tini's humilation of Gambit continues.
    To deserves better.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Again no sign of what Mad Jim did with Redroot the Forest :-(
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Garbage.
    Tini's humilation of Gambit continues.
    To deserves better.
    My thoughts exactly. Yeesh. Can't wait for this book to end
    Make Good Art

Fun to see RicStar but this series is so bland to me.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

I kinda wish this would get renamed to Captain Britian and just be about Betsy interacting with Otherworld. I liked the whole aspect of her running around a spooky vampire part of Otherworld but then it gets derailed by having to throw the rest of the team in the book and trying to find something for them to do.

The way Gambit is speaking. The words he uses. His lack of guile. His lack of intelligence. He behaves like a thief from a comedy aimed at children. The outfit isn’t the worst part. It’s that Tini Howard picked a scene for him and this is what she came up with. She could have done whatever she wanted. The only limit is her imagination. Yet she potrays Gambit as dumb and without charm. He is suppose to be a master thief, superbly charming(to the point that it used to be a power) and intelligent enough to pull of those two earlier points. Instead we get the Hamburgler.

If she gets the character she sure goes out of her way to show us the opposite.