Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default New Mutants #22: The never ending cycle

This issue is split into two parts, so I'll cover them both in their own section. One is a lot easier to sum up than the other.

Section 1 (The Kids): This is very straightforward, the young mutants apologize to Gabby for what has happened thus far. This section is less about what's happening and more about character moments and kinda fleshing out the viewpoints. It basically ends with Gabby forgiving the other younger mutants and them deciding to go follow the New Mutants to confront Farouk for what he's done to Gabby

Section 2 (The new Mutants): This is where the majority of the narrative takes place. As shown in the preview, the New Mutants are tossed into an unwinnable scenario and we watch as they fight to the last man, before the events fade away and they're in the presence of the Shadow King. Obviously on edge and disgusted by his actions, they tell him he won't get away with what he intends to do, however farouk has no nefarious scheme, the shadow king parasite isn't there, trying to take bodies or unravel krakoa. In a sit down, we learn that Farouk is not manipulating the mutants fears to try and break them, he's manipulating his own fears to show them what the future may very well have in store.

Farouk has lived a long time, and seen countries and people fall both at the hands of time and at the hands of the Shadow King. With his mind clear and the Shadow King gone, he's come to the realization that krakoa can not and will not last, but Mutantdom can, if they are tempered in fire. he saw how Arrako had managed to last Millenia and seeks to ensure that the Mutants of earth do the same. And unlike Apocalypse, hypocrite that he is, Farouk does not intend to abandon his people.

The new Mutants bite back, stating that Farouk's goal to temper mutantdom and crush all other races and societies underfoot is just further perpetuation of a cycle, war for war's sake. That by separating them into predator and prey, they don't just ideologically justify the fear and hatred of Mutants, they make it a literal fact, as they are no longer a difference, but an active and real threat to the continued existence of others. One could not blame the sheep if they seek to kill the wolf after all. The New mutants just can't accept Farouk's desires, stating that his ideology and methods are harmful and only perpetuate violence that they've all seen far too much of for needless reason.

Farouk laments the new Mutants are far too much the Students of Xavier, a hapless hopeless optimist and decides that if he can not talk them into his side, he will make them bend to his reality. The new mutants are then forced to fight at least 23 iterations of doomsday scenarios until every one of them is dead, only to repeat and the scenarios change. Farouk's intention to make them both stronger and sway them to his way of thinking.

Issue ends with the young mutants discovering the new mutants in the shadow king's thrall

Personal opinions: I gotta say I adore the revelation of what Farouk is doing and why Farouk is doing what he's doing. It's a logical conclusion for a mutant who has seen so much and been the pawn of a nonmutant in the collapse of so much life and so many societies and dimensions. Also really love the back and forth between the new Mutants and Farouk on the future of krakoa

Astonishing Member

Got to say the dialouge was on point here. The convo between Farouk and The New Mutants was gold. That being said I can't wait for this whole Wild Hunt thing to be over.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Ayala's writing always has so much depth, I really hope they are around after the relaunch next year. Reis' art is beautiful, so painterly with a great balance between naturalism and the expressive fanastical. My only minor nitpick is that the Shadow King plot has moved a little slowly, but I've enjoyed the stories overall. Still not sure how much of this being is Shadow King and how much is Amahl Farouk, but I suspect that will be revealed soon.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Ayala's writing always has so much depth, I really hope they are around after the relaunch next year. Reis' art is beautiful, so painterly with a great balance between naturalism and the expressive fanastical. My only minor nitpick is that the Shadow King plot has moved a little slowly, but I've enjoyed the stories overall. Still not sure how much of this being is Shadow King and how much is Amahl Farouk, but I suspect that will be revealed soon.
    Ayala and Reis make a great team, I’d love to see them on Venom at some point.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I think it is quite clear this is Farouks doing, freed of Shadow King. Said it from the start and seems I was right.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I think this will read much better in trade. Good issue, it’s just a long story arc.

This SK stuff is dragging. Im gonna need Vita to wrap it up

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Some very good points raised by the New Mutants when confronting Farouk (Shadow King or not) about the ultimate futility and self-destructiveness of trying to ensure your people's own safety and prosperity by trampling on other peoples. Goes both ways, though, as for mutants, humankind has long preyed on and exploited them with the ultimate intent being their destruction, so in that sense, we can see across the history of the X-Men how humanity trying to ensure their own safety and prosperity by repressing and brutalizing mutants has been as futile and self-destructive for them as vice versa. I suppose in the end, both mutants and humans do have to find a better way, or as (I think) Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, it's a choice between coexistence or nonexistence.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Good issue for me. Although it really took too long, it is fun to have the confrontation finally happening with Farouk. They let him loose for too long and now we're seeing his true colors. The dialogues are very well written, but I think Ayala makes the kids talk in a way that sounds too responsible and self aware for how young they are. It sounds a little fake to me. The older mutants not falling for Farouk's intentions is a good thing, they are smart enough for that crap. It is very convenient that Warlock is not here, because SK wouldn't be able to drag him into his mind I think. But I'll allow it haha.

The art for me is the best thing. Reis is beyond excelent. All his pages look wonderful. He is one of the best in Marvel right now and this book has a lot to thank him for. All the characters have a lot of personality in their body and facial expressions, even when they are in the background. I really hope he continues on the X-books for a long time.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    Good issue for me. Although it really took too long, it is fun to have the confrontation finally happening with Farouk. They let him loose for too long and now we're seeing his true colors. The dialogues are very well written, but I think Ayala makes the kids talk in a way that sounds too responsible and self aware for how young they are. It sounds a little fake to me. The older mutants not falling for Farouk's intentions is a good thing, they are smart enough for that crap. It is very convenient that Warlock is not here, because SK wouldn't be able to drag him into his mind I think. But I'll allow it haha.
    Some of those "kids" should be on their 30´s. Some had kids themselves, was Warpath also a "kid" when he was fucking hepzibah?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    Some of those "kids" should be on their 30´s. Some had kids themselves, was Warpath also a "kid" when he was fucking hepzibah?
    Weather isn't talking about the New Mutants, they're talking about Gabby's group.

This was a really really good issue. Once again vita just kills it on characterization. I lowkey feel storm was the little girl mention in the data page at the beginning of it. Farouk is extremely powerful and comes off very menacing in this issue but i have to say, i do see his point but he is going about it wrong, perhaps he should start a school or something for those who want to battle. I do like the idea of the mental simulations he runs though a good way to potentially gain some experience for the teams. The art was really good. i'd give it a 9/10. The story is dragging a tad but this is the kind of dragging on i prefer where you at least get into the characters heads and motivations rather than just throwing other stories in the mix just to fill time until what's next.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This SK stuff is dragging. Im gonna need Vita to wrap it up
    One month, maybe two.
    My flag is bacon.

This will probably read much better in trade when its not as apparent that the build up has been scattered between so many plots, when many of them didn't really matter.

there's a lot you can analyze with that speech. How much are mutants embodying that notion in the current line up? How much have humans? Its tough to say, because how much humanity at large hates mutants has varied so wildly over the years. In some stories they get hatecrimed constantly, in others they're basically treated as good/badly as any other non-white, straight group. Then there's stuff like Grand Design, which makes a majority of the worst mutantkind has suffered the fault of a small club of evil men.

Seriously, Grand Design had the leaders of all the the biggest anti-mutant groups all go to college together and be a part of the same college club. It will never not be baffling/funny to me.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    This will probably read much better in trade when its not as apparent that the build up has been scattered between so many plots, when many of them didn't really matter.

there's a lot you can analyze with that speech. How much are mutants embodying that notion in the current line up? How much have humans? Its tough to say, because how much humanity at large hates mutants has varied so wildly over the years. In some stories they get hatecrimed constantly, in others they're basically treated as good/badly as any other non-white, straight group. Then there's stuff like Grand Design, which makes a majority of the worst mutantkind has suffered the fault of a small club of evil men.

Seriously, Grand Design had the leaders of all the the biggest anti-mutant groups all go to college together and be a part of the same college club. It will never not be baffling/funny to me.
    That reminds me of an inverse of how Heroes Reborn (Marvel's first attempt at an Ultimate-style reboot back in the 90s) depicted many of the super-scientist heroes from the Avengers and Fantastic Four as having been in the same college club together.
    The spider is always on the hunt.