Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I wouldnt say no writer has. It was explored in X-Force 75

Her illusion was life like enough to make Selene feel as if it was real and touching her

Also in that issue, she used her psychic powers to draw on Warpaths memories of his family to create an illusion of his family home and had him interacting with them as if they were there. Unfortunately most writers dont even go there with her but she has the skill to do some creative things with her illusion powers
    Maybe most writers don't want to use Dani as a Mutant Trek Holodeck like you guys seem to want to....

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Maybe most writers don't want to use Dani as a Mutant Trek Holodeck like you guys seem to want to....
    Clearly which is why we rarely ever see her use her original powers and instead see her primarily shoot arrows from the sidelines

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    Yeah, you're right. The 'solidification of construct' written on the text page and Karma controlling it through synergy isn't quite realistic.

Dani's powers should be like Mastermind, creating illusions and images. No writer has explored this aspect of Dani's powers yet.
    She seems more to be forming (quasi) solid objects out of psychic energy, tapping into people's fears (or desires, or her own wishes) to make stuff, so that's kinda cool. I'd like to lean more into that, and how it relates to various mythological critters, like the genies of Persian lore, able to make stuff (illusions, but also solid things like food and clothing) out of 'smokeless fire,' or the kami or kitsune of Japanese myth who could spin both images and temporary objects out of green 'fox fire' or the faeries of Celtic lore who could sometimes do similar things spinning stuff out of 'faerie glamer.'

She's tapped into a fairly common mythic trope, manifesting fantasy into images or even 'real' things, and I'd like to see that explored (and maybe even explore other culture's differing interpretations of it).

As for Karma, mixing up TK with 'softer' psychic powers is, IMO, a crutch. Not every mutant power 'needs to be effective against robots.' I'd prefer if Karma expanded on the powers she already has, rather than develop new ones (especially one as tired and overused as 'backup TK'). For instance, she trains to control *her own mind,* allowing her to operate well above normal human parameters, fighting at 100%, ignoring pain and distractions and doubts, being totally 'in the zone' and moving like someone far more experienced and capable. Self mind control, dedicating all of her brain's resources to the current fight, so that she moves faster and more decisively than expected. Bang. No new power, just the same old 'mind control' she's always had, but she's found a way to make it more useful in a fight against foes she can't mind control, by instead turning her focus inward and dialing herself up to 11.

If she becomes telekinetic, she's automatically going to be 'less' than buffer telekinetics like Jean, Exodus, Quentin, Nate, Legion, Psylocke, etc. and, IMO, the existence of so many TP/TK hybrids cuts down the chances for characters like Hellion or Shola Inkosa or Link to make a showing, since TK is 'all' they can do. Why join the ranks of telekinetics at #12, when she can continue with mind control and vie for #1 (where her primary competitors for #1 mind controller are foes like Sauron and Mesmero, and her arch-nemesis the Shadow King)?
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-08-2021 at 02:56 PM.

Theres a lot to like about this run of New Mutants. But the one thing that keeps me from diving all the way in is my dilslike of those little piss ant kids. If it was just Warpath and his harem training up Scout and a couple other tiny mutants-- I could vibe with that. But I dont ever wanna see Cosmar, No-Girl and the blue bros again.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reiko View Post
    There's a lot to like about this run of New Mutants. But the one thing that keeps me from diving all the way in is my dislike of those little piss ant kids. If it was just Warpath and his harem training up Scout and a couple other tiny mutants-- I could vibe with that. But I don't ever wanna see Cosmar, No-Girl and the blue bros again.
    Cosimar needs to spend five ****ing minutes with Proteus talking about how to consciously control her reality manipulation enough to alter her own appearance. And then never be seen again. (Proteus could totally use the ego-boo of a young mutant coming to him for guidance on how to control the power they share, since he's one of the big guns in the reality-manipulation game.)

Martha Johanssen needs a body, stat. Forge / Madison Jeffries can build her a humanoid robot. Krakoa / Black Tom can grow her a plant body. Elixir / Triage can just heal her to regenerate her body from the brain and nerve and eyeball cells she's still got. And to pointedly explain that she is not *and never has been* No-Girl. No-Girl was a made-up character to pander to a mutant simpleton that Xorn/Magneto straight-up murdered *for being annoying*, and totally not Martha Johanssen. And then go off to hang out with Fixx, Tangerine, Gamesmaster, Mentat and all the other telepaths we never see.

The others, eh, I'm even *less* interested in.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I wouldnt say no writer has. It was explored in X-Force 75

Also in that issue, she used her psychic powers to draw on Warpaths memories of his family to create an illusion of his family home and had him interacting with them as if they were there. Unfortunately most writers dont even go there with her but she has the skill to do some creative things with her illusion powers
    These are two great examples. Unfortunately, most new writers don't read Dani's issues beyond Chris Claremont's original run.

It would be good to turn her into Lady Mastermind of New Mutants.

Newer writers only focus on the psychic arrow of her powers recently because you don't need creativity for that.
    Last edited by ericng; 10-10-2021 at 08:22 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post

For instance, she trains to control *her own mind,* allowing her to operate well above normal human parameters, fighting at 100%, ignoring pain and distractions and doubts, being totally 'in the zone' and moving like someone far more experienced and capable. Self mind control, dedicating all of her brain's resources to the current fight, so that she moves faster and more decisively than expected. Bang. No new power, just the same old 'mind control' she's always had, but she's found a way to make it more useful in a fight against foes she can't mind control, by instead turning her focus inward and dialing herself up to 11.

If she becomes telekinetic, she's automatically going to be 'less' than buffer telekinetics like Jean, Exodus, Quentin, Nate, Legion, Psylocke, etc. and, IMO, the existence of so many TP/TK hybrids cuts down the chances for characters like Hellion or Shola Inkosa or Link to make a showing, since TK is 'all' they can do. Why join the ranks of telekinetics at #12, when she can continue with mind control and vie for #1 (where her primary competitors for #1 mind controller are foes like Sauron and Mesmero, and her arch-nemesis the Shadow King)?
    She already can control almost everyone except for robots and strong telepaths.

She already has some psi/telepath ability which was not explored in current writers except in Zeb Well's run.

Last edited by ericng; 10-10-2021 at 08:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel ignores literally everything from Truth or Death, it contradicts current canon in many ways, and it's a terrible story, so best to take it as non-canon.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 10-10-2021 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Why on earth would Rahne work on keeping her accent after being away from Scotland for so long? Seems like she would subconsously pronounce words the way the people around her would.
    I know people who have been away from Hungary for decades and they never lost their accents… Rahne or Sean or Black Tom or Moira shouldn’t lose theirs overnight.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I know people who have been away from Hungary for decades and they never lost their accents… Rahne or Sean or Black Tom or Moira shouldn’t lose theirs overnight.
    Is the accent as heavy as it was when you first met them?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    She seems more to be forming (quasi) solid objects out of psychic energy, tapping into people's fears (or desires, or her own wishes) to make stuff, so that's kinda cool.
    This is exactly her very same power in "The New Mutants" (2020). So, like Illyana/Magik, she's one of the most powerful mutants in the mainstream X-Men universe of the XCM (X-Men Cinematic Multiverse).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Marvel ignores literally everything from Truth or Death, it contradicts current canon in many ways, and it's a terrible story, so best to take it as non-canon.
    People haven't forgotten Zeb Wells run, right? Karma was also a telepath there. When can the team get together like this again?

Last edited by ericng; 10-11-2021 at 04:34 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    People haven't forgotten Zeb Wells run, right? Karma was also a telepath there. When can the team get together like this again?
    The scene you posted contains 0 telepathy. That's Doug with magical and techno-organic virus enhancements interpreting body language and the scene ends with Karma using her regular possession. Karma talking to Face in Fall of the New Mutants is the example which would demonstrate telepathy.

There's also Karma recognizing that Joseph isn't Magneto in the Rosenberg Uncanny run. That suggests a level of telepathy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    It really depends on the person tbh. My parents moved to the states at the same time and my dad lost has accent, but my mom still has hers. There's no hard and fast rule especially when someone moved as young as Rahne did.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The scene you posted contains 0 telepathy. That's Doug with magical and techno-organic virus enhancements interpreting body language and the scene ends with Karma using her regular possession. Karma talking to Face in Fall of the New Mutants is the example which would demonstrate telepathy.

There's also Karma recognizing that Joseph isn't Magneto in the Rosenberg Uncanny run. That suggests a level of telepathy as well.

I couldn't find any pictures of Karma using telepathy during Zeb Wells run on internet so I used a page from that run instead.