Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dark Ages #2 spoilers

See its issues like this why I like Taylor's writing, because he remembers that he's writing in an entire interconnected universe. Because Taylor utilizes specific aspects of the marvel universe to not only enhance this story but subvert apocalyptic expectations and tell a good story.

So the issue starts off with the power being gone and the world goes mad...but its our heroes that we all know and love who get the world to chill out, especially the X-men. That our heroes showed them the way that it doesn't have to be bands of raiders in leather or scattered gear and create a world that is nothing like say Old Man Logan, because with the help of telepaths like Jean Grey and Professor X even without Power there can still be a way to connect the world. And with the world connected the hidden innovative nation of Wakanda steps up to the plate and with some of the smartest minds of the marvel universe create new ways to expand human kind and help meet everyday needs in a five year time jump. While the geniuses innovate others protect, with heroes establishing systems to detect vampires and werewolves who have only risen in these dark times. It's a true utopia they managed to build for themselves showing only the best of our heroes.

Unfortunately there is always someone trying to destroy the world, and that someone is Apocalypse. In the end times he's managed to take Europe as his own, and only done so much worse. He's aligned with Dracula and his vampiric army and he's used Killgrave to enslave people to his will people such as Magneto, Riri Williams, Reed Richards, and now Tony Stark. And his goal you ask? To gain the power of the unmaker, the very thing that caused the end of the world.

I honestly really like this issue, because Taylor just uses ideas that are just so inherently marvel to tell a story that could have been generic wasteland of the apocalypse and instead showed that a world filled with good heroes can save it even when the world is falling around them. I don't even recommend it if you are a Tom Taylor fan, if you simply like Marvel comics you should read this.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Yeah I'm really liking this too. I wasn't sure if it was going to be in continuity or an AU when it was originally advertised, but since it's AU, it's something that Taylor can really do without restriction. And of course, not being a cross over with a zillion tie in issues that are all over the place quality and importance wise. I recommend it as well.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    See its issues like this why I like Taylor's writing, because he remembers that he's writing in an entire interconnected universe. Because Taylor utilizes specific aspects of the marvel universe to not only enhance this story but subvert apocalyptic expectations and tell a good story.

So the issue starts off with the power being gone and the world goes mad...but its our heroes that we all know and love who get the world to chill out, especially the X-men. That our heroes showed them the way that it doesn't have to be bands of raiders in leather or scattered gear and create a world that is nothing like say Old Man Logan, because with the help of telepaths like Jean Grey and Professor X even without Power there can still be a way to connect the world. And with the world connected the hidden innovative nation of Wakanda steps up to the plate and with some of the smartest minds of the marvel universe create new ways to expand human kind and help meet everyday needs in a five year time jump. While the geniuses innovate others protect, with heroes establishing systems to detect vampires and werewolves who have only risen in these dark times. It's a true utopia they managed to build for themselves showing only the best of our heroes.

Unfortunately there is always someone trying to destroy the world, and that someone is Apocalypse. In the end times he's managed to take Europe as his own, and only done so much worse. He's aligned with Dracula and his vampiric army and he's used Killgrave to enslave people to his will people such as Magneto, Riri Williams, Reed Richards, and now Tony Stark. And his goal you ask? To gain the power of the unmaker, the very thing that caused the end of the world.

I honestly really like this issue, because Taylor just uses ideas that are just so inherently marvel to tell a story that could have been generic wasteland of the apocalypse and instead showed that a world filled with good heroes can save it even when the world is falling around them. I don't even recommend it if you are a Tom Taylor fan, if you simply like Marvel comics you should read this.
    Does he really? Cause I'm betting there's zero use of 75% of the world, the underwater part, after he wiped out Atlantis, a city that didn't run on electricity, so he didn't have to deal with them.

Does Europe or Asia or Australia or South America and their pitifully few superheroes play a role in this universe?

I've given up hope of Marvel actually utilizing the world in these 'world' effecting event, but I really wish they'd quit claiming it will be about the entire Marvel Universe, when they really mean it will be in the US, and mainly in New York City and mainly about the MCU characters.

However, I agree, I'm happy Taylor didn't go for the usual apocalyptic wasteland story.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Seeing Magneto as a human battery was so disrespectful. And I'm kinda loving this I'm curious about the space factions, like Shi'ar, Skree, ect how they're doing with the earth being in this state I imagine the Galaxy is at peace.

Astonishing Member

Yeah I love this series, I love Taylor and Iban is a great artist, I love his mixture of Manga and Western comics. I like how Taylor takes some elements from various other universe. It seems like the modern Marvel universe but certain things didn't happened, like OMD or Hickman X-menverse(explaining that Apocalypse remained a villain and nothing of his development in the Hickman Xverse) I like seeing Dracula being part of this even if I was in the the back in my mind disappointed he's not in his classic Black Hair Facial air look instead of the drastic different look from the 2010s.

baumblume

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Seeing Magneto as a human battery was so disrespectful. And I'm kinda loving this I'm curious about the space factions, like Shi'ar, Skree, ect how they're doing with the earth being in this state I imagine the Galaxy is at peace.
    is that canon

BANNED

Awesome issue. Taylor is definitely rooting for classic Apocalypse and Mystique. Which I like it a lot

Quote Originally Posted by baumblume View Post
    is that canon
    No. It's an alternate reality where an EMP blast has destroyed electricity. This issue skipped to seven years later, which means that Valeria Richards, Gabby Kinney, and Lunella Lafeyette have all grown up.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Does he really? Cause I'm betting there's zero use of 75% of the world, the underwater part, after he wiped out Atlantis, a city that didn't run on electricity, so he didn't have to deal with them.
    IIRC, it was the earthquake caused by the Unmaker waking up that destroyed Atlantis, not the EMP spell casted by Doctor Strange, which came later.
    The earthquake destroyed most of the world. Atlantis got hit badly because it is on the ocean floor and thus closer to the core.
    Wakanda got affected the least, which makes sense because the vibranium bedrock would have absorbed most of the vibrations.
    The EMP spell Doctor Strange casted later shorted out all electronics and made it difficult for society to rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Does Europe or Asia or Australia or South America and their pitifully few superheroes play a role in this universe?
    There seems to be an Australian telepath and a Nepalese telepath in this issue working with Professor X and Jean Grey to keep the supercities interconnected.
    I don't think they are named superheroes though, because I don't recognize them. If someone does, do let me know.

The Nepalese one might be Synapse from Uncanny Avengers, just based on the braided hair. They're not necessarily from the countries they're in - Professor X was in Brazil and Jean Grey was in Wakanda.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The Nepalese one might be Synapse from Uncanny Avengers, just based on the braided hair. They're not necessarily from the countries they're in - Professor X was in Brazil and Jean Grey was in Wakanda.
    Could also be Trinary.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No. It's an alternate reality where an EMP blast has destroyed electricity. This issue skipped to seven years later, which means that Valeria Richards, Gabby Kinney, and Lunella Lafeyette have all grown up.
    I guess that answers my question.... I was going to say 1. Since when did Kilgrave become smarter than Reed. 2. Since when was he even a scientist.

Quote Originally Posted by Husk View Post
    Could also be Trinary.
    Right hairstyle, wrong powers. She's a technopath, not a telepath. In fact, the EMP situation would've effectively depowered her.

Behind on this but do we know how this affects hereoes/villains who generate their own electricity? (Ie Spider-Woman and maybe electro?)
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Mighty Member

vampires have played a role in so many of marvel's recent events and they're obviously trying to set them up for when Blade's movie comes out. There still doesn't seem to be plans for a central book for them yet which is weird.