Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

never mind. Got confused. Ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Holy ****, Dan Slott writes dialogue like a 14 year old. I know people make fun of fans on forums who claim they could write better than the pros, but in this case it really is true. Probably true for a lot of people who post here. This is just cringe…
    I can at least say I couldn't write better, mostly because I don't really know how to write in a way that doesn't sound like, well, me, and y'all wouldn't want Spidey to sound like me, trust me on that .

Mackie/Byrne is also bad. A different flavor of bad. Not sure which is worse. It’s like comparing the flaws of the Star Wars prequels with the flaws of the sequels. For my own head canon, I’ll pretend Flash is drunk there.
    Either they're bad or boring, 'cause I'm pretty sure I read most of Byrne's run and I don't really remember what happened there lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    That fist page is not really that bad if you look at it as Flash making a joke to maybe get a chuckle out of Pete....Me and a lot of friends are constantly joking around like that with no maliciousness. But that 2nd page is totally What The Holy ****!?!?!?
    If Flash was doing something like that, or what Wolverine did when Peter died in The Other, where he flirted with MJ to piss her off so she has something else to focus on, then it'd be less bad, but no, he's just being a douche because he's a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Slott brings back memories lol.

Is actually sligthly less bad that i remembered, i could swear that Flash laugthed in Peter's face for it.
    Still possible it happened in another issue lol.

I forget which issue, but some Wolfman or Wein ASM issue from the late 70s, he basically says it was wrong but Peter deserved it for acting better than everyone else and he just wanted to bring him down a peg or two.
    Even if Peter was that arrogant, he mostly didn't talk much with other people, so that's ay, questionable excuse, and trying to justify bullying is bad enough as is lol.

I'm pretty sure that he changed his tune about that at some point. I remember him in his Venom solo admitting that he was a bully and the hates how he used to be. Wheter he actually apologized to Peter or not for it is another matter. Then again, i had seen many fans saying that Peter brought some of the abuse on himself so who knows how Marvel thinks of that period anymore.
    I don't think he apologized, I think Flash toned down the ******* over time and Peter and him just became friends lol.

It has been a while and i might have been wrong, i remember him being very eager for having sex with her and being kind of pushy about it, in spite of her just returning and being traumatized by the expirience, that happened in the 2001 annual if i remember correctly, but if i'm wrong i'm willing to be corrected.
    He was eager to have sex yeah, and MJ's face makes it look like she's not really interested:

https://i.imgur.com/Aic7UXA.png

https://i.imgur.com/VUGG7eg.png

https://i.imgur.com/OzFA7Z2.png

https://i.imgur.com/8Zik14T.png

And she got upset at him for leaving:

https://i.imgur.com/hBo6lHe.png

https://i.imgur.com/8vynNzc.png

https://i.imgur.com/iYeIT6J.png

https://i.imgur.com/otqYs35.png

So yeah, his responsibility as a hero got in the way of MJ's recovery when she needed him at the moment, and she also started to think about how Peter and her changed:

https://i.imgur.com/1k4NuAP.png

https://i.imgur.com/fOwtKzK.png

Guess she needed some soul searching.

But uh, yeah, while it's understandable for Peter to want to have sex with her, maybe wait a bit longer, 'cause I don't think MJ talks about what happened to her while she was there, so better be safe than sorry, and try not to have sex with someone so soon after she got away from the kidnapper lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Are you referring to the comment that having multiple supermodels on your arm is a super power? I am honestly missing how that comment is negative. Being able to pull multiple super models regardless of gender is pretty impressive.
    He's talking about another moment, which I posted its scan.

Astonishing Member

Mackie/Byrne run was bad AND boring (sorry it’s hard to just quote that passage since I’m on my phone). There’s very little redeeming about it. Mackie actually gets a bit better once Jenkins takes over PP:SM, so maybe Byrne was somehow influencing Mackie. I doubt Byrne had ever read a single issue of ASM besides maybe AF#15. The relaunch is awful, but it’s mostly due to many cast members acting out of character (as shown above with Flash). The plots themselves were boring and forgettable, but not overly terrible aside from a few like MJ blowing up in a plane and Peter grieving by kissing a 15 year old girl (Mattie Franklin) which was peak cringe even when I read it as a teen myself. But the worst aspect of the relaunch was they tried to make Byrne’s hackneyed reworking of the origin ‘Chapter One’ the actual continuity for a few years. They even weaved elements of it into the relaunch. Now that it has been totally retconned, a couple of those issues no longer make much sense. Oh well… big loss. /s

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Mackie/Byrne run was bad AND boring (sorry it’s hard to just quote that passage since I’m on my phone). There’s very little redeeming about it. Mackie actually gets a bit better once Jenkins takes over PP:SM, so maybe Byrne was somehow influencing Mackie. I doubt Byrne had ever read a single issue of ASM besides maybe AF#15. The relaunch is awful, but it’s mostly due to many cast members acting out of character (as shown above with Flash). The plots themselves were boring and forgettable, but not overly terrible aside from a few like MJ blowing up in a plane and Peter grieving by kissing a 15 year old girl (Mattie Franklin) which was peak cringe even when I read it as a teen myself. But the worst aspect of the relaunch was they tried to make Byrne’s hackneyed reworking of the origin ‘Chapter One’ the actual continuity for a few years. They even weaved elements of it into the relaunch. Now that it has been totally retconned, a couple of those issues no longer make much sense. Oh well… big loss. /s
    If I recall right, Mattie kissed Peter and tried to seduce him, but he wasn't having it since he was still grieving for Mary Jane. That said, yeah, still terrible, since she was 15 and he was at least 10 years older than that.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

To be fair, Mattie kissed him, and the story continues in Mattie's comic for some reason and she apologizes:

https://i.imgur.com/IXeEzf4.png

https://i.imgur.com/jcEXE51.png

(ASM#14 vol 2)

https://i.imgur.com/dJq0U1a.png

https://i.imgur.com/DRPSZYb.png

(Spider-Woman#9 vol 3)

So it went nowhere, seems like it was just shock value to make people buy the issue, then buy Spider-Woman (Also written by Byrne), so yeah, slightly less bad lol.

And I'd say being bad and boring can be separated categories, 'cause if it's bad, you can remember because of the badness, if it's boring, you're likely not remembering lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    If I recall right, Mattie kissed Peter and tried to seduce him, but he wasn't having it since he was still grieving for Mary Jane. That said, yeah, still terrible, since she was 15 and he was at least 10 years older than that.
    Wouldn't be the first time that something weird happen with Peter and a teenage girl, i'm still shocked about what Mantlo did with him and Dagger, luckily it was quickly forgotten.
    Last edited by TheCape; 10-11-2021 at 04:21 PM.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Wouldn't be the first time that weird happen with Peter and a teenage girl, i'm still shocked about what Mantlo did with him and Dagger, luckily it was quickly forgotten.
    Yeah, thankfully.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, you’re right, but the fact a middle-aged writer in their 40s at the time (Byrne) actually wrote that scene makes it extra cringey.

The Byrne reboot was the only time I quit comics. Slingers had been cancelled, and I wasn't enjoying the Spidey comics anymore. Spider-Girl almost kept me going, but I was also in high school at the time so I had other priorities.

A few years later, I'm in college and I see Ricochet on the cover of an issue of Runaways. Been back in comics ever since.

-Pav, who wishes JMD could've finished the Mad Jack story on his own...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    The Byrne reboot was the only time I quit comics. Slingers had been cancelled, and I wasn't enjoying the Spidey comics anymore. Spider-Girl almost kept me going, but I was also in high school at the time so I had other priorities.

A few years later, I'm in college and I see Ricochet on the cover of an issue of Runaways. Been back in comics ever since.

-Pav, who wishes JMD could've finished the Mad Jack story on his own...
    I’ve quit a few times (around Sins Past for a while, BND era, Parker Industries era, and the Spencer run I was on and off), but the Mackie/Byrne relaunch was also my first time quitting. I think it was for a lot of fans.

Extraordinary Member

No one is talking about this but in issue 75 the Uncle Ben we see w/ the hollow face is exactly like when Beyond Corp possesed Jason's body(right side since the first pick wasn't showing).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    No one is talking about this but in issue 75 the Uncle Ben we see w/ the hollow face is exactly like when Beyond Corp possesed Jason's body(right side since the first pick wasn't showing).

Good catch!

Good catch!
    Might put a whole new spin on Peter's warning to Ben at the end that the danger he sensed was actually coming from "inside."

Extraordinary Member

Might put a whole new spin on Peter's warning to Ben at the end that the danger he sensed was actually coming from "inside."
    Nice theory, I loved that entire sequence w/ May and Ben in the start.Also means spider-sense being full blown pre-cog which is cool for such big stuff only.

Nice theory, I loved that entire sequence w/ May and Ben in the start.Also means spider-sense being full blown pre-cog which is cool for such big stuff only.
    Sometimes, the spider-sense can work like that in instances of extreme danger, and considering that Beyond Corp is a front for multidimensional horrors that love sadistically toying with other worlds, "extreme danger" might be a massive understatement.