Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

There's nothing wrong with Ben loving being Spider-Man. Especially since Scarlet Spider books don't sell.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    There's nothing wrong with Ben loving being Spider-Man. Especially since Scarlet Spider books don't sell.
    Well he's not staying in ASM permanently or for long, we already know that.

And Scarlet Spider not selling well to what levels?Because if it's at the same level as secondary Spider-man titles then it won't make a difference if he is a Spider-man or not.Secondary's don't sell that well.If it's worse then most people don't care about Ben Reilly.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    And Scarlet Spider not selling well to what levels?Because if it's at the same level as secondary Spider-man titles then it won't make a difference if he is a Spider-man or not.Secondary's don't sell that well.If it's worse then most people don't care about Ben Reilly.
    Both recent Scarlet Spider titles sold enough to stay around for two years.

PAD's run suffered from the direction they wanted to go in after Clone Conspiracy and PAD having to find a middleground to his unhinged Ben and heroic Ben people wanted. I kept tabs on the sales while it was publishing because I wanted to know how long was the mag sticking around, and what do you know, in the issue where Ben starts acting more like his Clone Saga self because people weren't liking the run (PAD's own admission) sales shot up by 2000 units. But after that it was back to "will Ben be good or will he be a psycho?" and numbers kept dipping (which is common for any super hero comic, month after month the numbers go down unless you're Batman or they do crossovers or put in hot commodity artists [Aaron's Avengers numbers are held up by this]).

Ironically enough, more people showed up for these two books than Gage's Superior since that one concluded with just 12 issues instead.

Well he's not staying in ASM permanently or for long, we already know that.
    I wouldn't mind him staying, not as the main focus, but as part of the supporting cast. What I always liked about Ben in the original Clone Saga is that he basically bounced off pretty well from Peter and it seemed like he was a great addition to the lore without the need to become the Spider-Man. Hell, sales perking up just with that support the notion.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    While originals aren't going to go away(hello real world trademarks & copyrights) the intermediaries prove the value of said "replacement".
    Rhodey is still an armored hero as War Machine
    John Walker is still USAgent with a shield.
    Bucky is his own hero as Winter Soldier.

So all that said Ben can be a Spider-man along side Peter and Miles in universe just as those others are.
    There is no reason for a sad ending to this Beyond story. If anything it should serve as the final transition point for Ben to be his own Spider-man.
    Then it leaves it wide open for Kaine to be Scarlet Spider.
    Rhodey isn't Iron man, he's war machine
    John isn't Captain America, he's US agent
    Bucky isn't Captain America, he's winter soldier

Ben should be Scarlet Spider by your own logic.Peter is already enough, Miles on top make it more than full.+ Ben having his own identity >>>
    Not since I'm placing Kaine in the Scarlet Spider suit.

Ben would be more equal to Sam Wilson also being Captain America while Steve is as well. Is three carrying the title of Spider-man too much? Are two Captain Americas too much?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    Both recent Scarlet Spider titles sold enough to stay around for two years.

PAD's run suffered from the direction they wanted to go in after Clone Conspiracy and PAD having to find a middleground to his unhinged Ben and heroic Ben people wanted. I kept tabs on the sales while it was publishing because I wanted to know how long was the mag sticking around, and what do you know, in the issue where Ben starts acting more like his Clone Saga self because people weren't liking the run (PAD's own admission) sales shot up by 2000 units. But after that it was back to "will Ben be good or will he be a psycho?" and numbers kept dipping (which is common for any super hero comic, month after month the numbers go down unless you're Batman or they do crossovers or put in hot commodity artists [Aaron's Avengers numbers are held up by this]).

Ironically enough, more people showed up for these two books than Gage's Superior since that one concluded with just 12 issues instead.

I wouldn't mind him staying, not as the main focus, but as part of the supporting cast. What I always liked about Ben in the original Clone Saga is that he basically bounced off pretty well from Peter and it seemed like he was a great addition to the lore without the need to become the Spider-Man. Hell, sales perking up just with that support the notion.
    Well then great, if the direction is right he can sustain his own solo.I'd read that as well.

I would.ASM is a Peter book, and Spiders being shoved in isn't doing it anymore.We need classic Peter stories now, and he works best alone.Not to say he can't pop in for hanging out or a team up.Maybe to get his help w/ something or help Peter out.But not a supporting character.

Not since I'm placing Kaine in the Scarlet Spider suit.

Ben would be more equal to Sam Wilson also being Captain America while Steve is as well. Is three carrying the title of Spider-man too much? Are two Captain Americas too much?
    Miles is the Sam wilson person.And yes, 3 is too much.Even 2 Sider-man's are a lot and only works because Miles was already Spider-man from an alt. dimension.
    And Captain America is a mantle by design whereas Spider-man isn't.This has been discussed before in legacy thread in great detail.

Kaine and Ben can be scarlet Spiders if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    The issue with trying to make a Spider-Fam is that Peter never really operated with sidekicks to make anything comparable to Batman's family. Last Remains, which awkwardly shoved Jess and Anya back into the "family" with Miles when they hadn't worked together in quite a while didn't seem to gel with how the character usually operate.
    Even in Last Remains they pointed out how little they interact/work together. Even as the "Order of the Web" they barely did anything .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even in Last Remains they pointed out how little they interact/work together. Even as the "Order of the Web" they barely did anything .
    yeah and they didnt even showed up in sinister war where Idk Peter was severely outclass by all his villains. Peter barely team up with Miles doubt he can manage anymore team ups
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

[QUOTE=IamnotJudasTraveller;5765008]Both recent Scarlet Spider titles sold enough to stay around for two years.

I wouldn't mind him staying, not as the main focus, but as part of the supporting cast. What I always liked about Ben in the original Clone Saga is that he basically bounced off pretty well from Peter and it seemed like he was a great addition to the lore without the need to become the Spider-Man. Hell, sales perking up just with that support the notion.[
    One major problem Marvel has is a lack of trust in their characters. They do not trust Ben enough to sell Amazing on his own ( otherwise it would be 15 issues of Ben Reilly after several of Peter ( including the set up to remove him and MJ for about 5 months)). Although I like the idea of the hospital story, I would have liked to see that story first then Ben as a protagonist with no Peter instead of having adverse dealings with MJ, Miles, Otto and probably Felicia.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Madame Webb never even explained the significance of Peter's decision to throw Norman out of the ship. Still not clear what she saw there and what Norman being robbed of his sins was supposed to mean down the line. I assumed his sins were going to remanifest in a major way but the plot point was dropped entirely.

Miles is the Sam wilson person.And yes, 3 is too much.Even 2 Sider-man's are a lot and only works because Miles was already Spider-man from an alt. dimension.
    And Captain America is a mantle by design whereas Spider-man isn't.This has been discussed before in legacy thread in great detail.

Kaine and Ben can be scarlet Spiders if you want.
    I haven't been in the Legacy thread so if no one mentioned that once Marvel made Spider-man 2099 they at that point "BY DESIGN" made Spider-man a 'mantle'.
    A mantle that was then spun off(in 2005) into Indian Spider-man aka Pavitr Prabhakar, last seen by me in Spider-verse. Then your alt uni Spidey Miles Morales in 2011, who is now in-universe along with Miguel aka 2099.

Spider-man is now, frankly has been since mid-1990s, a mantle whether you accept it or not is irrelevant.
    Spider-man is a title, not a name like Thor. Thor should only be the one guy but I digress.

Ergo, if Marvel can have TWO persons being cited as Spider-man...why not 3 I say. One needs to get out NYC though and when they age Miles up he should re-locate.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Madame Webb never even explained the significance of Peter's decision to throw Norman out of the ship. Still not clear what she saw there and what Norman being robbed of his sins was supposed to mean down the line. I assumed his sins were going to remanifest in a major way but the plot point was dropped entirely.
    If Norman isn't thrown then he never looses his Sins, so he never rescues Mj from the bridge destruction(ironic) by possesed Spiders.Also he never makes it to Kingpin and sets up the ambush w/ MJ as bait which frees Peter.

I haven't been in the Legacy thread so if no one mentioned that once Marvel made Spider-man 2099 they at that point "BY DESIGN" made Spider-man a 'mantle'.
    A mantle that was then spun off(in 2005) into Indian Spider-man aka Pavitr Prabhakar, last seen by me in Spider-verse. Then your alt uni Spidey Miles Morales in 2011, who is now in-universe along with Miguel aka 2099.

Spider-man is now, frankly has been since mid-1990s, a mantle whether you accept it or not is irrelevant.
    Spider-man is a title, not a name like Thor. Thor should only be the one guy but I digress.

Ergo, if Marvel can have TWO persons being cited as Spider-man...why not 3 I say. One needs to get out NYC though and when they age Miles up he should re-locate.
    They are in diff. time periods or realities.Even Miles is from a diff. reality.

That's why Miles works, he already got Spidey's blessings and was Spider-man in his reality.And Ben is already way too similar to Peter, a literal clone w/ memories and all.Calling himself Spider-man at the start makes sense but not anymore.It's called growth

Both Ben and Miles need to leave NYC but Miles is still growing up, Ben can leave when Beyond is done.Maybe take Superior Ock's city or join a team.Again read the legacy thread, we have had this topic done 100's of times and I won't bring it here.2 are already more than enough, 3 is a big no-no.And Ben being a perma Spidey is a big no-no for his own character.

If you don't see the point then let's agree to disagree.

If Norman isn't thrown then he never looses his Sins, so he never rescues Mj from the bridge destruction(ironic) by possesed Spiders.Also he never makes it to Kingpin and sets up the ambush w/ MJ as bait which frees Peter.

They are in diff. time periods or realities.Even Miles is from a diff. reality.

That's why Miles works, he already got Spidey's blessings and was Spider-man in his reality.And Ben is already way too similar to Peter, a literal clone w/ memories and all.Calling himself Spider-man at the start makes sense but not anymore.It's called growth

Both Ben and Miles need to leave NYC but Miles is still growing up, Ben can leave when Beyond is done.Maybe take Superior Ock's city or join a team.Again read the legacy thread, we have had this topic done 100's of times and I won't bring it here.2 are already more than enough, 3 is a big no-no.And Ben being a perma Spidey is a big no-no for his own character.

If you don't see the point then let's agree to disagree.
    I notice you left Miguel out in your rebuttal. Must be because he makes my point stick, same 616 timeline. Spider-man=mantle.

Your point is diff universe/timeline makes other monikered Spider-man characters seemingly ok but more than one(that isn't Miles) is out of the question. Ok, sure go with that.

I disagree with your point on that we agree.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    It's possible Norman's sins are significant in possessing the other Spiders, but uh, that's never cleared up if so, only seems to be vaguely hinted at.

Doesn't help that she changed her opinion around, first in ASM#49/850 she wanted Norman to have his sins stolen:

https://i.imgur.com/ToKgZIg.png

Then after Gwen talks about Spidey's choice, she goes along with it, but then when Peter throws Norman out of the ship, she says it was a bad idea, implying she had a vision off-screen:

https://i.imgur.com/8NiUSWd.png

The most significant thing that happened after Sin Eater stole Norman's sins is that Kindred didn't really need him anymore, so Kindred took the sins from him and forced it into the other Spiders, so it's possible that Norman's sins by themselves weren't anything special, but it was something Kindred wanted to advance the next part of his plan, so much so that Norman is the only one whose sins didn't return, so I guess if Peter didn't kick Norman out of the ship, then the whole possessed Spiders part wouldn't happen (But it makes you wonder what the hell they could do against Sin Eater afterwards lol).

Also, funny this happens in ASM#50:

https://i.imgur.com/9y2LQoz.png

"I'm sorry Peter, I tried" might as well be Julia's catchphrase, she tries, but fails so much lol.

We don't even know if possessed Spiders would happen if Norman didn't have his sins stolen, Kindred only removed the sins from him after Sin Eater did his part.

Forgot this issue was out.

I didn't like this Ben. He is too damaged in a way that just screams that he will either blow up or crack. Now this story is a temporary ebb in the flow that is Peter Parker as Spider-man so that is to a degree to be expected. Yet I find very little to be excited about this in a sense that I'm happy for Ben. It either feels forced. Both from him and the plot or it feels that it's already crumbling. Janine seems to be one perscription away from a breakdown. Ben seems to be fixed in a very shallow way. A obvious flag is that he keeps talking about it as to reinforce that it's true.

MJ and Peter felt off. Not run for safety off, but still off. It also feels odd after Spencers ending. This couple feels very distant from each other.

Overall a medium issue. 2-3/5.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Forgot this issue was out.

I didn't like this Ben. He is too damaged in a way that just screams that he will either blow up or crack. Now this story is a temporary ebb in the flow that is Peter Parker as Spider-man so that is to a degree to be expected. Yet I find very little to be excited about this in a sense that I'm happy for Ben. It either feels forced. Both from him and the plot or it feels that it's already crumbling. Janine seems to be one perscription away from a breakdown. Ben seems to be fixed in a very shallow way. A obvious flag is that he keeps talking about it as to reinforce that it's true.

MJ and Peter felt off. Not run for safety off, but still off. It also feels odd after Spencers ending. This couple feels very distant from each other.

Overall a medium issue. 2-3/5.
    Those are some interesting points. Considering Dr. Ashley Kafka's involvement and perhaps being somewhat shadier than she used to be in the wake of her murder at Massacre's hands and her later "reanimation" in Clone Conspiracy, I could see Ben's current state as a kind of "mask of sanity" that might fall off at any moment once things go truly bad in a way that he or Beyond Corp can't just smooth over.
    The spider is always on the hunt.