Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Ironically that's my fav part of this or any story.Stuff like Hickman's run was so great but we never knew how long it will last and now he's leaving.

I like to have a sense of pace, and we already knew this won't last beyond 25 issues max.

I just feel better knowing how long a story will go on for, that's why I love reading older comics.
    Excellent points and ones I wholeheartedly agree with.

We all know that this story was finite. Peter would have been back by in the webs by Amazing #900 regardless. The fact it is 19 issues means that it won't be drag out any longer than necessary (although that can always change). So hopefully this storyline is plotted accordingly and won't suffer pacing issues.

Replacement stories can be fun, but you can only keep the original/main character on the sidelines for so long before you need to bring them back. It's a delicate juggling act because you what to achieve a number of things -

1. Tell a story that is engaging and doesn't wear out its welcome (hence why the book is triple shipping to lessen the time to 6 months instead of the usual 12 - 24 months vs 18 - 24 issues)

2. Try not to alienate the fans of the main character for so long that they drop the book or, if they are sitting the story out, potentially pass the point where they aren't inclined to pick the title back up when said character does make their return (Marvel are being wise here by keeping Peter around in some capacity to mitigate this situation).

3. Build interest in the replacement so that you have enough fans willing to support a spin off title for them (which is where this is headed).

No, I think 19 issues is a decent length of time. Allows everyone involved to have a arc each (Wells I assume will do 6 - 7 issues with 3 at the start and 3 at the end.).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Again, I doubt Kindred would removed the Sins from Sin Eater until Norman had his' stolen, since the objective was to torment both Peter and Norman, and I doubt Kindred would start Last Remains when Norman still had his sins.
    Yeah, but the point was to see if Peter tosses out Norman which he did.If he didn't then Kindred would just use Spiders to get him since Peter didn't do what he thought he would.That's kinda the point Kindred was making w/ Peter dropping Norman, he knows Peter well anyways so I think he would know.

It happened quick but it happened, and it was nice, but the problem is that the last time she was helpful as Madame Web was all the way back in Spider-Island, 10 years ago, and by the time ASM#54.LR was published, 9 years before.

And keep in mind Spider-Island itself had her screwing up since she told the other characters to activate a tower so she can see that future, and that made Spider-Queen become a giant super powerful monster, which's what made Peter use one of Otto's gear, which I'm pretty sure is why Peter and Otto mind swaped to begin with, and if so, kinda surprising she's indirectly the reason Superior happened lol.

Spider-Island had a scene where Peter, after being trained in that Spider-Fu, is wary of fighting her (was a practice fight) because she has both Spider-Powers and can see the future, and she kept up with him, in that moment, she was basically a mix of herself, and Destiny, who at times was hilariously broken as a precog lol.

https://i.imgur.com/nIs4CK8.jpg

(ASM#666)

It didn't last of course, and in Spider-Island she took a backseat, gave advice here and there then fucked up in ASM#671, which means the same story made her look like a really busted character, also started her incompetence, all by the same writer too lol.

And the problem isn't exactly her jobbing since she hardly fights to begin with, her main role is a precog when she could do more, but she doesn't, so her role is basically the same as Cassandra's, but Julia both looks more powerful with her visions, and is less competent lol.

Of course, one of the problems with Julia is her looking this broken to begin with, so I understand why they play it safe and don't let her do much, but they play it too safe and she doesn't stand out besides sucking at her job in general.

Thinking of it, Spidey with that Spider-Fu was similar, it combined with his Spider-Sense could make him ridiculously strong combat-wise, and he's already really good, but it was mostly forgotten about, only Ends of the Earth and a random page from PI era remembered it lol.

An entire company knowing Peter is Spidey would get messy lol.
    I agree, Slott made Spider-woman(Jessica Drew) his physical equal as well.Guy thought every Spider person no matter where they get their powers from is equal which is dumb af.Peter w/out Spider sense would still own Jessica.Julia I can buy, I feel she should be a pre-cog first but if it's needed she can kick ass.

Also where did he use Spider-fu in PI era?

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Excellent points and ones I wholeheartedly agree with.

We all know that this story was finite. Peter would have been back by in the webs by Amazing #900 regardless. The fact it is 19 issues means that it won't be drag out any longer than necessary (although that can always change). So hopefully this storyline is plotted accordingly and won't suffer pacing issues.

Replacement stories can be fun, but you can only keep the original/main character on the sidelines for so long before you need to bring them back. It's a delicate juggling act because you what to achieve a number of things -

1. Tell a story that is engaging and doesn't wear out its welcome (hence why the book is triple shipping to lessen the time to 6 months instead of the usual 12 - 24 months vs 18 - 24 issues)

2. Try not to alienate the fans of the main character for so long that they drop the book or, if they are sitting the story out, potentially pass the point where they aren't inclined to pick the title back up when said character does make their return (Marvel are being wise here by keeping Peter around in some capacity to mitigate this situation).

3. Build interest in the replacement so that you have enough fans willing to support a spin off title for them (which is where this is headed).

No, I think 19 issues is a decent length of time. Allows everyone involved to have a arc each (Wells I assume will do 6 - 7 issues with 3 at the start and 3 at the end.).
    Facts, you dissected it perfectly

Incredible Member

[QUOTE=Somecrazyaussie;576735

No, I think 19 issues is a decent length of time. Allows everyone involved to have a arc each (Wells I assume will do 6 - 7 issues with 3 at the start and 3 at the end.).[/QUOTE]

19 issues seems rather oddly numbered for trade collections, unless they plan to have some .1 issues included throughout this 19 issue stint for expanded stories. I would think 25 issues, straight up to issue 900/99 would be better, but that’s just me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    19 issues seems rather oddly numbered for trade collections, unless they plan to have some .1 issues included throughout this 19 issue stint for expanded stories. I would think 25 issues, straight up to issue 900/99 would be better, but that’s just me.
    It's so that the next writer can build his own story as well.Which is great new since having Beyond lead to 60th made no sense, there's setup for that stuff and I'm glad the new writer will get that chance.I think ASM after Beyond might be on the best runs solely based on Spencer's work and the fact that Beyond takes care of the replacing story writers love.

Having it go up to 899 means the 900th issue writer won't have any time to write his story.And Unless last issue is solely/mainly Peter focused in beyond then it shouldn't be a 100 issue special, specially not on the 60 the aniversary as well.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-10-2021 at 07:52 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Well, that was my exact reaction as well. I fully expected this to go 25 issues. But I think we will have enough issues to constitute 3 trades worth (2× 6 issues and 1x 7 issues).

Yeah, but the point was to see if Peter tosses out Norman which he did.If he didn't then Kindred would just use Spiders to get him since Peter didn't do what he thought he would.That's kinda the point Kindred was making w/ Peter dropping Norman, he knows Peter well anyways so I think he would know.
    Well, I still don't think Kindred would do anything to Sin Eater until Norman lost his sins, so we'll agree to disagree here.

I agree, Slott made Spider-woman(Jessica Drew) his physical equal as well.Guy thought every Spider person no matter where they get their powers from is equal which is dumb af.Peter w/out Spider sense would still own Jessica.
    It would be less bad if they were his equals, but there was Free Comic Book 2011, with a Spidey story before Spider-Island where a mind controlled Jessica kicked his ass very brutally:

https://i.imgur.com/ei9rXgY.png

(The comment Spidey makes about Mandrill's power is both disgusting and out of character)

https://i.imgur.com/YGExXgs.png

https://i.imgur.com/c6fj9a9.png

https://i.imgur.com/74K7ILk.png

It was all to setup the whole Spider-Fu shit, so Peter got nerfed badly there, and sure, he did struggle to fight other people with similar powers before, and this time he lacks Spider-Sense, but it wasn't this bad, only the likes of Venom or Black Tarantula fucked him over this badly, even then they were much harder to stop (Against Venom he needed either fire or sonics to actually hurt him, while Black Tarantula is much stronger and can tank a lot of hits), they weren't around his level like Jessica, and Jessica just shrugged off the few hits he threw at her lol.

Even if you say he was holding back to not hurt her, he says on the third page there that he couldn't take her out even if he wanted to, and later on the same issue he says he always gets his ass kicked when fighting other Spider-People:

https://i.imgur.com/gbyjhSj.png

So yeah, this makes it sound like Spidey is just a loser who lucked out when getting awesome super powers, and while this is true to a certain extent (He's no loser, but didn't get proper training to fight), he's not so bad that he's only gonna struggle against other Spider-Powered people this badly.

Julia I can buy, I feel she should be a pre-cog first but if it's needed she can kick ass.
    If she did that, I'd be fine with it lol.

Also where did he use Spider-fu in PI era?
    https://i.imgur.com/isrpR1m.jpg

(ASM#10 vol 4)

It's really brief, really forgettable, and makes no difference, I only remember because of how hilariously useless it is, compared to whenever it showed up in Spider-Island or when he kicked mind controlled Jessica's ass in Ends of the Earth where he just kicks ass as easily as he breathes when he specifically points out he's using Spider-Fu.

It's so that the next writer can build his own story as well.Which is great new since having Beyond lead to 60th made no sense, there's setup for that stuff and I'm glad the new writer will get that chance.I think ASM after Beyond might be on the best runs solely based on Spencer's work and the fact that Beyond takes care of the replacing story writers love.
    I wouldn't overtrust Marvel, while Spencer did put characters in nice positions, it doesn't mean the next writer will use them well, we could always end up getting BND2 if we're unlucky with the next writer lol.

Well, I still don't think Kindred would do anything to Sin Eater until Norman lost his sins, so we'll agree to disagree here.

It would be less bad if they were his equals, but there was Free Comic Book 2011, with a Spidey story before Spider-Island where a mind controlled Jessica kicked his ass very brutally:

(The comment Spidey makes about Mandrill's power is both disgusting and out of character)

It was all to setup the whole Spider-Fu shit, so Peter got nerfed badly there, and sure, he did struggle to fight other people with similar powers before, and this time he lacks Spider-Sense, but it wasn't this bad, only the likes of Venom or Black Tarantula fucked him over this badly, even then they were much harder to stop (Against Venom he needed either fire or sonics to actually hurt him, while Black Tarantula is much stronger and can tank a lot of hits), they weren't around his level like Jessica, and Jessica just shrugged off the few hits he threw at her lol.

Even if you say he was holding back to not hurt her, he says on the third page there that he couldn't take her out even if he wanted to, and later on the same issue he says he always gets his ass kicked when fighting other Spider-People:

So yeah, this makes it sound like Spidey is just a loser who lucked out when getting awesome super powers, and while this is true to a certain extent (He's no loser, but didn't get proper training to fight), he's not so bad that he's only gonna struggle against other Spider-Powered people this badly.

If she did that, I'd be fine with it lol.

(ASM#10 vol 4)

It's really brief, really forgettable, and makes no difference, I only remember because of how hilariously useless it is, compared to whenever it showed up in Spider-Island or when he kicked mind controlled Jessica's ass in Ends of the Earth where he just kicks ass as easily as he breathes when he specifically points out he's using Spider-Fu.

I wouldn't overtrust Marvel, while Spencer did put characters in nice positions, it doesn't mean the next writer will use them well, we could always end up getting BND2 if we're unlucky with the next writer lol.
    yup character development can go out of the window. Like in Spiderman 2099 last story the year became 2100 but when Spencer did his event he ignore that progression. there should be a rule to respect continuity
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Of course, no problem

Slott at his best(worst)......

Also he has hurt venom multiple times, he isn't stronger than him but he's sent him flying and straight up overpowered him as well(modern venom as well).BT's point was being Spider-man's bane.Jessica is like a toothpick in comparison, I'm not being extra.A no holding back casual punch would put a hole right through her.

And that comment is just..... how did the editors read that and think Slott could write Spider-man, much less for an entire decade.

BS, Spencer did Spidey justice thankfully.A severely mentally and physically broken Peter took on an amped(double physicals + other abilities added) Spider-fam in a confined space underwater and was holding back and trying not to hurt them and confirmed that they were not.Still managed to save their life and dragged the submarine out of the water.

And even Slott showed that while Miles and Cindy got wrecked in 2 moves against Red Goblin Peter held his own for far longer.

(ASM#10 vol 4)

Bruh, guy can't do right by his own creation.Spider-fu could have been something so much better,

Yeah, I just mean the set up is perfect here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    yup character development can go out of the window. Like in Spiderman 2099 last story the year became 2100 but when Spencer did his event he ignore that progression. there should be a rule to respect continuity
    They really do need to make that a rule...

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    That was kind of a thing back in the 80's, when Jim Shooter was Editor-in-Chief, guy was a pain in the ass when it came to continuity, and it was nice for the readers.

One example I like is Juggernaut, after Spidey defeated him in ASM#230, he stopped showing up for two real life years, when he returned in Uncanny X-Men#183, he references the battle he had with Spidey and says he only managed to escape recently:

https://i.imgur.com/kOPIRE1.jpg

Can honestly understand why Marvel would choose to ignore what happened with Miguel though, 2099 is too iconic to change to 2100, I don't agree with it, but I understand lol.

Also he has hurt venom multiple times, he isn't stronger than him but he's sent him flying and straight up overpowered him as well(modern venom as well).
    Well the whole point of Venom is how difficult it was to hurt him without either of those options, which Spidey struggled with.

BT's point was being Spider-man's bane.Jessica is like a toothpick in comparison, I'm not being extra.A no holding back casual punch would put a hole right through her.
    Don't think it'd go that far since she's around his strength level (In theory at least, in practice Spidey lifts shit that is way heavier than 10 tons at times, like a tank), but, definitely wouldn't be like what Slott showed there where she's not hurt by the punch lol.

And that comment is just..... how did the editors read that and think Slott could write Spider-man, much less for an entire decade.
    Yeah it's just, bizarre, even teenager Spidey making a comment like that could look weird lol.

It's probably a BND leftover with this "Spidey has to sound young" shit, ASM#546 for example, has him narrating and he sounds like he's a teenager, or trying really hard to sound like one:

And this is most likely made to let the reader know that mature Spidey is gone lol.

BS, Spencer did Spidey justice thankfully.A severely mentally and physically broken Peter took on an amped(double physicals + other abilities added) Spider-fam in a confined space underwater and was holding back and trying not to hurt them and confirmed that they were not.Still managed to save their life and dragged the submarine out of the water.
    And even when getting beaten up in Last Remains, it still didn't look as bad as what happened in this random battle with Jessica lol.

And even Slott showed that while Miles and Cindy got wrecked in 2 moves against Red Goblin Peter held his own for far longer.
    Yeah, Slott's big problem is how he makes stuff happen for the sake of the plot, which's why Spidey's level of competence can look so different from story arc to story arc, or even his personality.

Bruh, guy can't do right by his own creation.Spider-fu could have been something so much better,
    The whole problem is how potentially busted it is, Spidey specifically learned Spider-Fu because he lost the Spider-Sense, then when he gets it back in Spider-Island, the story specifically mentions more than once that he can use Spider-Fu combined with Spider-Sense:

https://i.imgur.com/CfX3tcT.png

(ASM#671)

Also, huh, looks like Julia wasn't that bad in Spider-Island, 'cause the jammer being gone made the Queen become a giant monster yes, but it also gave Spider-Sense back at a crucial moment that prevented Spidey from being depowered to begin with, so her screw up was also helpful lol.

Anyways, after this, Spider-Fu is mostly gone, and Spidey still needs random team ups for his ass to be saved, makes you wonder why Slott bothered to come up with Spider-Fu when Spider-Island's main point is that it's not even the power that makes Peter special, but who he is, certainly would make all the random times Spidey gets beaten look less ridiculous, and they look really ridiculous as is lol.

That comment was "Flash Thompson makes fun of Peter for being a widower" levels of bad lol.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    That comment was "Flash Thompson makes fun of Peter for being a widower" levels of bad lol.
    wait he did?

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Dude, what the fuck lol.

I think I found the moment, it's from Peter Parker: Spider-Man#18, but there's another thing worth highlighting:

This here, he's being a complete asshole who the writer forgot he stopped being this kind of character long ago, but at least he's trying to help, if in a misguided insensitive way.

But this? This is Ultimate Flash levels of asshole, and this was 5 months before the Ultimate line came along lol

Astonishing Member

Holy shit, Dan Slott writes dialogue like a 14 year old. I know people make fun of fans on forums who claim they could write better than the pros, but in this case it really is true. Probably true for a lot of people who post here. This is just cringe…

Mackie/Byrne is also bad. A different flavor of bad. Not sure which is worse. It’s like comparing the flaws of the Star Wars prequels with the flaws of the sequels. For my own head canon, I’ll pretend Flash is drunk there.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 10-11-2021 at 02:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Dude, what the fuck lol.

I think I found the moment, it's from Peter Parker: Spider-Man#18, but there's another thing worth highlighting:

This here, he's being a complete asshole who the writer forgot he stopped being this kind of character long ago, but at least he's trying to help, if in a misguided insensitive way.

But this? This is Ultimate Flash levels of asshole, and this was 5 months before the Ultimate line came along lol
    That fist page is not really that bad if you look at it as Flash making a joke to maybe get a chuckle out of Pete....Me and a lot of friends are constantly joking around like that with no maliciousness. But that 2nd page is totally What The Holy Fuck!?!?!?

ah Flash Thompson I am reminded why I hate him again