Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    ah Flash Thompson I am reminded why I hate him again
    He's written very out of character, as was most of the characters around this time. So much shit has happened since, like OMD, BND, Slott's cringe stories, Parker Industries, the drawn out Kindred arc... that people forget how bad the Mackie/Byrne relaunch was. Like I said above, I choose to believe Flash had relapsed off-panel and was really drunk during this scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Dude, what the fuck lol.

I think I found the moment, it's from Peter Parker: Spider-Man#18, but there's another thing worth highlighting:

This here, he's being a complete asshole who the writer forgot he stopped being this kind of character long ago, but at least he's trying to help, if in a misguided insensitive way.

But this? This is Ultimate Flash levels of asshole, and this was 5 months before the Ultimate line came along lol
    Slott brings back memories lol.

Is actually sligthly less bad that i remembered, i could swear that Flash laugthed in Peter's face for it.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    He's written very out of character, as was most of the characters around this time. So much shit has happened since, like OMD, BND, Slott's cringe stories, Parker Industries, the drawn out Kindred arc... that people forget how bad the Mackie/Byrne relaunch was. Like I said above, I choose to believe Flash had relapsed off-panel and was really drunk during this scene.
    I think my issue with Flash is that he treated Peter horribly in high school. Yet cause he is a fan of spider man Peter could never really tell him off it seems. College happens and they are just friends all of a sudden. Then Flash gets all of his development into being a hero but Idk if he ever apologized for how he treated Peter in the past. Maybe he has, if so give me the issue I will read it. I wouldn't have such an issue of Peter never had with Flash but it's clear that he did. But I'm unsure on how he just moved on
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

The sad part is that Mackie was actually pretty decent before the reboot with Byrne, but by that time he was clearly burn out.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

I think my issue with Flash is that he treated Peter horribly in high school. Yet cause he is a fan of spider man Peter could never really tell him off it seems. College happens and they are just friends all of a sudden. Then Flash gets all of his development into being a hero but Idk if he ever apologized for how he treated Peter in the past. Maybe he has, if so give me the issue I will read it. I wouldn't have such an issue of Peter never had with Flash but it's clear that he did. But I'm unsure on how he just moved on
    I forget which issue, but some Wolfman or Wein ASM issue from the late 70s, he basically says it was wrong but Peter deserved it for acting better than everyone else and he just wanted to bring him down a peg or two.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Dude, what the fuck lol.

I think I found the moment, it's from Peter Parker: Spider-Man#18, but there's another thing worth highlighting:

This here, he's being a complete asshole who the writer forgot he stopped being this kind of character long ago, but at least he's trying to help, if in a misguided insensitive way.

But this? This is Ultimate Flash levels of asshole, and this was 5 months before the Ultimate line came along lol
    It's OOC but still, bruh.

I forget which issue, but some Wolfman or Wein ASM issue from the late 70s, he basically says it was wrong but Peter deserved it for acting better than everyone else and he just wanted to bring him down a peg or two.
    Nah that's not cool.Making excuses for bullying, making constant lines at his girl, etc. isn't cool.He should just apologize to him period.

thats very lame and very petty. I know he was abuse but that isnt an excuse either guess its the classic he an asshole but since he is cool he is forgiven trope
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I'm pretty sure that he changed his tune about that at some point. I remember him in his Venom solo admitting that he was a bully and the hates how he used to be. Wheter he actually apologized to Peter or not for it is another matter. Then again, i had seen many fans saying that Peter brought some of the abuse on himself so who knows how Marvel thinks of that period anymore.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

BANNED

That's victim blaming but no surprise that's how Wolfman interpreted it. Dude had weird takes on the Lee-Ditko era.

It's OOC but still, bruh.
    For the sake of fairness, it wasn't only Flash, Peter's friend were assholes too. His wife just died and they keep pushing to dating again in spite the fact that he was still grieving. Peter also was pretty insensitive to MJ once she came back.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Peter also was pretty insensitive to MJ once she came back.
    Insensitive in what way? I seem to recall one issue ended where he hugs her in disbelief that she is real. The next issue she is traumatized in a closet and then just ups and leaves. I don't recall anything Peter did though.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Insensitive in what way? I seem to recall one issue ended where he hugs her in disbelief that she is real. The next issue she is traumatized in a closet and then just ups and leaves. I don't recall anything Peter did though.
    It has been a while and i might have been wrong, i remember him being very eager for having sex with her and being kind of pushy about it, in spite of her just returning and being traumatized by the expirience, that happened in the 2001 annual if i remember correctly, but if i'm wrong i'm willing to be corrected.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Incredible Member

It has been a while and i might have been wrong, i remember him being very eager for having sex with her and being kind of pushy about it, in spite of her just returning and being traumatized by the expirience, that happened in the 2001 annual if i remember correctly, but if i'm wrong i'm willing to be corrected.
    I'll check it out. It's been ages since I even looked at that issue.

Incredible Member

That comment was "Flash Thompson makes fun of Peter for being a widower" levels of bad lol.
    Are you referring to the comment that having multiple supermodels on your arm is a super power? I am honestly missing how that comment is negative. Being able to pull multiple super models regardless of gender is pretty impressive.

Astonishing Member

This is indeed correct. It was Mackie’s last issue and… well… it was certainly something. Peter was constantly trying to jump her bones throughout the story… he was very forceful, even creepy about it. There was one good scene that depicted MJ’s PTSD from being abducted (she panicked when she locked herself in the attic I think), but overall it was just written to separate them before JMS started (probably on Quesada’s orders as JMS later said he didn’t request that).
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 10-11-2021 at 02:47 PM.