Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Miles became Spider-Man in an alternate universe after that universe's Peter died. I would much prefer if they restarted the Ultimate Universe and put all the Ultimate Characters back there. I also think they need to stop trying to re-tell Peter's stories with Miles...like the Clone Saga from earlier this year.
    Well, that's probably not going to happen. And Miles' Clone Saga was very much its own story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Death View Post
    That would make sense if Miles didn't exist, I have to remind you that originally Miles was also the replacement for the Ultimate Spider-Man and currently coexists with the main Spider-Man without too many problems, so why does Ben have to be the exception? Besides Ben is already back as Spider-Man and the only thing left for you to do would be to accept it or avoid it, it's as simple as that.
    1610, diveristy, and Bendis had a lot of pull were the reasons that happened though.
    And it's a 19 issue nostalgia bait, he's back for now.He's probably not staying as Spider-man , maybe Scarlet Spider?

Miles became Spider-Man in an alternate universe after that universe's Peter died. I would much prefer if they restarted the Ultimate Universe and put all the Ultimate Characters back there. I also think they need to stop trying to re-tell Peter's stories with Miles...like the Clone Saga from earlier this year.
    Facts, Miles clone saga wasn't it.Ahmed dropped the ball, no build up and was boring af and no consequences(we were promised it would change him forever).
    Get something original, like it isn't that hard.

Miles in 1610 > Miles in 616

Every Spider gets a clone saga it seems. That being said, Miles' clone saga was VASTLY superior to Peters.

Also, they don't just retell Peter's stories with Miles. Miles is his own character with his own priorities and experiences.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Every Spider gets a clone saga it seems. That being said, Miles' clone saga was VASTLY superior to Peters.

Also, they don't just retell Peter's stories with Miles. Miles is his own character with his own priorities and experiences.

Miles has adapted Clone saga, Sinister Six, OMD(a very cheap copy) and that's just on the top of my head.Most of his villains were Peter's IIRC in 1610.

A lot of Miles stuff just feels like watered down Peter stories.

Miles clone saga was not "VASTLY superior" than Peter's.That's misleading IMO.Clone saga for Peter lasted way too long and hence was bad, Miles's clone saga did nothing of note, it was boring af.If you look at content for the og Saga w/out extensions it has a lot more weight than Miles's.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-06-2021 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    boots, my friend! So great to see you here. I appreciated your thoughts on Ben and Peter's conversation.
    hey mate, good to see you're still bringing your class and intelligence to these threads.

stay classy, cbr.
    troo fan or death

An Incarnation Of Death. The Black Death's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    1610, diveristy, and Bendis had a lot of pull were the reasons that happened though.
    And it's a 19 issue nostalgia bait, he's back for now.He's probably not staying as Spider-man , maybe Scarlet Spider?

Facts, Miles clone saga wasn't it.Ahmed dropped the ball, no build up and was boring af and no consequences(we were promised it would change him forever).
    Get something original, like it isn't that hard.

Miles in 1610 > Miles in 616
    I know the story and actually look how far Miles went for all that, about the 19 issues I could believe you if you passed on the exact source where I confirm that, and if Beyond supposedly ends it doesn't necessarily mean that Ben has to be out of the Spider-Man mantle for various reasons at the end.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Death View Post
    I know the story and actually look how far Miles went for all that, about the 19 issues I could believe you if you passed on the exact source where I confirm that, and if Beyond supposedly ends it doesn't necessarily mean that Ben has to be out of the Spider-Man mantle for various reasons at the end.
    It's in the Editor afterword in issue 75.It states it's a 19 parter.

I know, I mean he probably won't be Spider-man by the end.As in that's what I think Marvel will do, not saying he's can't be Spider-man.Could be cool.

As long as the 60th aniversary thing is Peter only w/ no additional spiders thrown in it's fine(nothing against them but this is their chance to get ASM back on track and it's Peter's aniversary)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Please list all the ways it was supposedly “VAST superior.” I bet a hundred bucks you’ve never even read the 90s clone saga.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Please list all the ways it was supposedly “VAST superior.” I bet a hundred bucks you’ve never even read the 90s clone saga.
    I'd like to know too.90s Saga gets a bad rep because of length but it had a lot of great stuff in it IMO.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I'd like to know too.90s Saga gets a bad rep because of length but it had a lot of great stuff in it IMO.
    Thank you! You’ve improved a lot as a poster since a few months ago. I’m glad you’re coming around on some of this stuff. Did you read JM DeMatteis’ ‘Lost Years’ yet?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    as a minority, i'll identify with what characters speak to me in ways that resonate.

there can be more than one working analogy within a story or character and like society, those can evolve and update. the frankenstein monster theme was leaned into heavily in past stories as well as peter's grievances. the point being, we're at a new stage in the relationship and i like where it's now at.

ben being the silver spoon entitled guy was a good laugh though, jack. cheers for that.
    As another member of a traditionally disadvantaged community:

A blonde white American man gleefully in the embrace of his wealthy corporate sponsor is the last thing I'd identify with as an analogy for a more diverse, equitable, accessible and inclusive world. All I'm seeing is another white guy feeling privileged and entitled to take whatever he wants, even when the territory is already occupied by another human being. Even going so far as to appropriate the original inhabitant's name and superhero culture for himself. But to each their own.

I liked the issue. Art was gorgeous, the set up is straightforward and has potential to be fun, and while I don't see Clone Saga Ben as having the same "I'll take what what I want, establish my own thing, and screw the people already living their lives" colonizer mentality as Beyond Ben, Beyond Ben has been through several inconsistent stories since the Clone Saga and can use a reset. I'm hoping that's what the next 19 issues will be for him.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 10-06-2021 at 10:20 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Thank you! You’ve improved a lot as a poster since a few months ago. I’m glad you’re coming around on some of this stuff. Did you read JM DeMatteis’ ‘Lost Years’ yet?
    Thanks a lot, the criticism helped more than I would have thought.
    I did, right after 75 to catch up on my Ben and Janine.I got roped up in something and couldn't read the third issue but doing that today after I get off from work.It's been amazing so far.

Wanted to post earlier but couldn't find an appropriate time to, so here we go now.
    I read this issue at least several times in full and have been seeing people mad at it and...I don't get it? Like at all???
    Maybe it's just me, but Ben REALLY doesn't seem that shady or evil here. Beyond is clearly using him and he just can't see it yet. Does he seem a bit dickish while talking to Peter? Maybe. But it's not like Ben was rubbing it all in his face, and he at least had the decency to talk to Peter about what's been going on, and he even looked out for him by trying to make sure the Beyond team didn't know he was around. And he seemed genuinely concerned for Peter at the end. So what's the fuss about? He's going to realize he's being used eventually and will likely redeem himself in the end. I don't get it. He might be making the wrong moves by working with Beyond, but I've seen people saying that he's worse than Clone Conspiracy Ben, and I'm just like "bro what", LOL. At least Ben doesn't try to get Peter murdered here and isn't a genocidal maniac for no apparent reason. That's an absurd take imo. Ben seems the most like Classic Ben Reilly here than he has in a while, there's really nothing inherently wrong here. I think Wells captures his voice fairly well. Of course we still need to wait and see what the rest of the team will bring to the table, but I don't know, I have faith atm.
    Now I just hope they don't kill him off at the end of this again...and if they do I hope it doesn't stick (Heh).

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    As another member of a traditionally disadvantaged community:
    A blonde white American man
    being blonde and white doesn't preclude someone from being in a minority group.

in-universe? clones could make the case as a minority. robots and aliens too. if alex summers can be considered an MU minority, i don't see why ben reilly can't.

analogies aren't 1:1s

gleefully in the embrace of his wealthy corporate sponsor
    depends on the context. the context i'm putting forward is that minorities are now pushing to center themselves in advertising, marketing, business, politics, entertainment etc. in response, many corporations are taking advantage of representation for their own gains.

in that way, ben going from a powerless alien within society to one that has now been embraced by corporate sponsorship for their own gains seems to be somewhat analogous to the way things have gone down.

to be clear: i don't actually see this as a good thing.

is the last thing I'd identify with as an analogy for a more diverse, equitable, accessible and inclusive world.
    hmm, i agree that would be a stretch of the analogy for anyone to make.

All I'm seeing is another white guy feeling privileged and entitled to take whatever he wants, even when the territory is already occupied by another human being. Even going so far as to appropriate the original inhabitant's name and superhero culture for his own. But to each their own.
    but if a blonde white american man can't be a stand-in member of a disadvantaged group, then surely a brunette white american man can't be a stand in for a dispossessed native population?

in the context of the story and backstory, we have a character who has laregly been denied structural or systemic power finally coming into agency (after a few failed attempts). the "territory already occupied" is by a character who already benefits from existing structural privilege now making space (again).

the coloniser/race stuff seems to be a limiting definition of minority group in context of my original point but i get that it's (apparently) your particular reading with a colonialism focus. personally, i'd put otto and superior into the coloniser role, but even that's a stretch for me.

but absolutely, each to their own.
    Last edited by boots; 10-07-2021 at 04:05 AM.
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    Wanted to post earlier but couldn't find an appropriate time to, so here we go now.
    I read this issue at least several times in full and have been seeing people mad at it and...I don't get it? Like at all???
    Maybe it's just me, but Ben REALLY doesn't seem that shady or evil here. Beyond is clearly using him and he just can't see it yet.
    Unfortunately Ben has a history of being taken advantage of by those who use him or deceive him. The same thing happened when he put too much trust in Seward Trainer during the 90s clone saga. I think it's a personality issue distinct to Ben, as he felt abandoned when he hit the road so he looks for anyone who validates him and believes in him, even if that belief is manipulative and hiding ulterior motives.