Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    But why should he have to? You are arguing that Ben is invalid as a person, whether you realize it or not. He is Spider-Man. He always has been, from the moment of his creation. Even Peter recognized this during the Clone Saga, though obviously under conditions that murk the waters a fair bit.

What you are saying is that Ben is lesser and should have to accept being lesser merely by the byproduct of how he was born. Separate but equal. That's simply not the case, at all.
    Whatever you are inferring...I am not implying. I have been arguing that Ben Reilly is his own person and should have his own identity. He is a person with his own life and experiences and that should be reflected in his character.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 10-07-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    But Ben THINKS he has to be Spider-Man to do it, is the thing. I think a big part of this is going to be him realizing he doesn't need to be Spider-Man to help others in need.
    Also, as Ben mentions in the book, if he didn't agree to it, Beyond would've just gotten someone else to be their Spider-Man, and that could easily have disastrous consequences. The Spider-Man mantle is better off with Ben who has Uncle Ben and Aunt May's lessons in the back of his head as well instead of potentially someone else who doesn't, someone who has all the power yet none of the responsibility, no? Either way, Ben is likely going to do things he doesn't fundamentally agree with, and I'm personally very interested to see how he's going to react to it.
    Before we get into this can I just say your posts are on point.Healthy balance of prespectives w/ great opinions.

I agree, Ben thinking he has to be Spider-man but will learn he doesn't is one of the best ways to go about it.

I disagree w/ the second thing a bit.While I see your point Ben isn't really looking into Beyond, he trusts them from what we've seen.If that is his reasoning then he should tell Peter that they should look into Beyond and he's said Yes so that he could get close and no one else takes the spot.Instead it feels like he's saying they were going to do this anyway so I'll take the benefits(the money, facilities, legal team, Janine, etc.).The reasoning isn't bad but as people pointed out it's Naive.

I also want to see how far he will go and how he reacts when they push him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Whatever you are inferring...I am not implying. I have been arguing that Ben Reilly is his own person and should have his own identity. He is a person with his own life and experiences and that should be reflected in his character.
    Agreed.It's about growth, they were the "same" person once but that just doesn't hold up anymore.They are still very similar people because of shared memories but are now distinct because of the ones they do not share.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I disagree w/ the second thing a bit.While I see your point Ben isn't really looking into Beyond, he trusts them from what we've seen.If that is his reasoning then he should tell Peter that they should look into Beyond and he's said Yes so that he could get close and no one else takes the spot.Instead it feels like he's saying they were going to do this anyway so I'll take the benefits(the money, facilities, legal team, Janine, etc.).The reasoning isn't bad but as people pointed out it's Naive.

I also want to see how far he will go and how he reacts when they push him.
    This is just my guess but I think Ben is being so trusting in Beyond because of Dr. Kafka. She already knew Peter plenty and there's a lot of shared territory between the two of them. Since we've already seen she's been assigned as his therapist I think they're going to go with these guys helping Ben focus so much he's kind of taking them having good intentions for granted.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    That radiation could cause Peter to lose his powers
    You know, I didn’t even think of that. Lol. But we have already saw that cover with Peter crawling around outside the hospital walls; but covers are misleading. But I doubt Marvel would go that route, lol

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    This is just my guess but I think Ben is being so trusting in Beyond because of Dr. Kafka. She already knew Peter plenty and there's a lot of shared territory between the two of them. Since we've already seen she's been assigned as his therapist I think they're going to go with these guys helping Ben focus so much he's kind of taking them having good intentions for granted.
    Could be a nice twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    You know, I didn’t even think of that. Lol. But we have already saw that cover with Peter crawling around outside the hospital walls; but covers are misleading. But I doubt Marvel would go that route, lol
    His powers are both scientific and magical, he can't/shouldn't loose powers on the basis of radiation alone.And that would be incredibly dumb even by Marvel standards.

First issue of ASM that I've bought since OMD.

Mostly because of the cool Art Adams cover. I was also a fan of Ben's run as Spider-Man back in the day. Still my fave Spidey suit, btw. I like how the new one is reminiscent of it.

Story was cool. Pete seemed like Pete and it was cool seeing MJ and him together.

Probably gonna buy the next issue.
    Batman - Daredevil

Amazing Member

Didn't have a chance to read it until today.

I really liked this issue, thought the art was great and the writing/tone was exactly what I've been looking for out of a Spider-Man book. (Well see how consistent that is with the rotating writers)

This is the most excited I've been about the future of Spider-Man comics in a while.

The backup stories were okay, although the art on the daughters of the dragon story kinda sucked.

Although I must say the art preview for Ben Reilly: Spider-Man was awesome. David Baldeón is doing a great job.
    Last edited by PizzaTime2099; 10-07-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Portland Oregon, here the Parkers come!

Well okay probably not. But that scenario would have echoes of THE FINAL ADVENTURE...(a great comic, incidentally)
    Okay, a bit of a tangent… but I swear, this is one of the most underrated Spidey stories ever. I never hear anyone talk about it. The engaging plot, gorgeous art, snappy dialogue, unique setting, genuinely terrifying villain (Tendril)… are all great. Unfortunately just like our recent #74, the last issue was a victim of editorial interference. It was supposed to end with Baby May being born, but by then Marvel had already decided to bring Peter back and mandated Nicieza change it. The compromise was they said Peter could lose his powers, but then they tried to back out of that as well. Nicieza was so unhappy he almost walked off the book halfway through the mini, so Marvel relented as giving Peter back his powers would be relatively easy to fix (easier than “fixing” a baby anyway… ah, what could have been).

Spectacular Member

I really hope by the end we get Peter introducing Aunt May to Ben Reilly and Ben finally getting a hug and relationship with her

Incredible Member

I just got off work and sat in my car to re-read the issue again before I head home. I cannot get enough of this. I pray, that once this Beyond era has passed, they do right by Ben and Janine (and in turn, us long awaited Ben fans). Just reading through it again, it’s felt like a long time coming, waiting for this. And I can’t wait until Janurary for the mini, to see more lore added in for Ben.

Astonishing Member

What do you guys think are the odds we’ll see the Daily Grind crew or any of Ben’s old villains from his time like Armada? I’d say low, but then again I wasn’t expecting Janine to show up. I’d put the odds of a Kaine appearance at 50/50… I’d be surprised if he didn’t show. Maybe towards the end of the 19 issue storyline he’ll take on Ben if he’s gone too corporate.

So we all agree there's more than poisoning to Peter repeating "The danger is inside", right? And it's probably tied to faceless Uncle Ben?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Okay, a bit of a tangent… but I swear, this is one of the most underrated Spidey stories ever. I never hear anyone talk about it. The engaging plot, gorgeous art, snappy dialogue, unique setting, genuinely terrifying villain (Tendril)… are all great. Unfortunately just like our recent #74, the last issue was a victim of editorial interference. It was supposed to end with Baby May being born, but by then Marvel had already decided to bring Peter back and mandated Nicieza change it. The compromise was they said Peter could lose his powers, but then they tried to back out of that as well. Nicieza was so unhappy he almost walked off the book halfway through the mini, so Marvel relented as giving Peter back his powers would be relatively easy to fix (easier than “fixing” a baby anyway… ah, what could have been).
    Wow, that sounds like one hell of a story.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    What do you guys think are the odds we’ll see the Daily Grind crew or any of Ben’s old villains from his time like Armada? I’d say low, but then again I wasn’t expecting Janine to show up. I’d put the odds of a Kaine appearance at 50/50… I’d be surprised if he didn’t show. Maybe towards the end of the 19 issue storyline he’ll take on Ben if he’s gone too corporate.
    I'm very certain Kaine will show up eventually in this run. Speaking of Ben's various enemies, I'd love to see the Great Game come back, especially if Joystick was part of it. For those who don't know or recall, the Great Game was basically an underground club where bored rich people could gamble on and sponsor superpowered fighters that they pitted against each other for s***s and giggles. Hell, maybe that could be where Ben and Kaine run into each other again.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    So we all agree there's more than poisoning to Peter repeating "The danger is inside", right? And it's probably tied to faceless Uncle Ben?
    Probably, if the Beyond Corporation turns out to still be a front for interdimensional horrors like in Al Ewing's Mighty Avengers series.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by scarletspidey View Post
    I really hope by the end we get Peter introducing Aunt May to Ben Reilly and Ben finally getting a hug and relationship with her
    I think that would require a long talk to May about Peter being Spider-Man.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    The power loss could occur when he is facing those street thugs