Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Congratulations to Rob Allen and thanks to MRP and Zelena for your votes

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Congratulations to Rob Allen, and a thank you to ed2962 for the vote and Nschornhorst for the mention!

When it comes to exploitative (sexist, racist, sensationalist et c) covers, I'm of two minds about them. They are part of our genre's history and should be remembered as such. They are also something that can be triggering, off-putting, or serve to drive people away, both today or when they were published. I think the contest should be about remembering the past, but most of all it should be fun. As such, I think it behooves us participants to to be careful to post more exploitative covers when the contest already has a few.

I should also mention that I myself will be very unlikely to vote for an exploitative cover, and I'm sure there are other posters here who feel the same way. At the same time, I realise that we all have individual limits on what we consider exploitiative or in poor taste.
    Well said. I really think it some cases we should overlook RULE NBR 7 and be allowed to discuss controversial, exploitative covers. I'd rather that we bring that out in a discussion than hitting the report button and involving the mods. I know a lot of mods join the contest so I would welcome any input here. I think it better to have open discussions moving forward so contestants know what may not be appropriate. I think it significant to note a lot of the women posters here voiced their opinion on the matter and that should mean something. The reason why I seldom use my real name on comic book message boards is that they were not always welcoming. I've been posting here in the various iterations since the early 2000s and things have gotten better. Let's hope that people will be aware that some things can be very offensive to women that some men just do not see.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-13-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Well said. I really think it some cases we should overlook RULE NBR 7 and be allowed to discuss controversial, exploitative covers. I'd rather that out in a discussion then hitting the report button and involving the mods. I know a lot of mods join the contest so I would welcome any input here. I think it better to have open discussions moving forward so contestants know what may not be appropriate. I think it significant to note a lot of the women posters here voiced their opinion on the matter and that should mean something.
    Yes. To me there is a very clear difference between "this cover falls outside of the theme" and "this cover is exploitative because X". The first I think can be pointed out more for the benefit of the poster, if they want to change the cover, but it's more for information than anything else. The latter I think is something that should be allowed to be discussed, just as we can discuss the history of comics in most aspects in nearly any thread.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Great Job Rob Allen. Some interesting covers this week.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member

Thanks for all the votes! This was an unexpected win. I'll peruse the list of contest topics and come up with something new later today.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Congratulations Rob!
    Thanks for your vote Kirby!

Unrelated: I guess now we know where the line is.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Congrats Rob Allen, though TBH, it still bothers me that the word Vaccination is in the title and the winning cover is about drug abuse and addiction.

Maybe it wouldn't bother me so much if RL situation was different.

Though I do know that this contest was well intentioned.
    Fear of needles is a thing in culture. Even in the context of a good thing like vaccination, there is an overlay of that fear of needles and maybe of doctors too to an extent. And comics have obviously reflected that same fear over the years.

I was looking around for a cover that involved playing doctor. Maybe with Betty and Veronica. But never found it. And I am sure if I had found one, it would not have involved a needle for the aforementioned reasons.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Congrats Rob Allen, though TBH, it still bothers me that the word Vaccination is in the title and the winning cover is about drug abuse and addiction.
    But the op did say
    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Get your jabs!

Covid is not gone, so please get vaccinated if you have not, and post a cover showing syringes, vaccinations or other kinds of needle jabs.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Time to tally the votes!

1 vote each: CaptCleghorn, ChadH, foxley, K7P5V, kin, MRP, worstblogever, Zelena
    2 votes each: Ajax_X, Iron Maiden, Kirby101, Scott Taylor
    3 votes each: Nschornhorst

and our winner with 5 votes---ROB ALLEN!!

If anyone wants to double check my tally, feel free!
    Congratulations to Rob Allen!

And thank you to whomever gave me that one vote.

Ultimate Member

Congrats to Rob!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Congratulations to Rob Allen!

And thank you to whomever gave me that one vote.
    I think this was counted for you as vote, which I assume was the intent of From the Shadows quoting your entry.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Greg Land before the light boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But the op did say
    The letter was respected but the spirit… For comics, syringes look like weapons…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Rob Allen.
    I think this was counted for you as vote, which I assume was the intent of From the Shadows quoting your entry.
    LOL! I noticed they voted for Rob Allen first, but I won't complain. Thanks for the clarification, Iron Maiden.

And a proper thank you to From The Shadows for mentioning my entry.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 10-19-2021 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.

Congratulations, Rob Allen, and thank you to the folks who kindly voted for me.