Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Congratulations to Rob Allen and thanks to MRP and Zelena for your votes

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Congratulations to Rob Allen, and a thank you to ed2962 for the vote and Nschornhorst for the mention!

When it comes to exploitative (sexist, racist, sensationalist et c) covers, I'm of two minds about them. They are part of our genre's history and should be remembered as such. They are also something that can be triggering, off-putting, or serve to drive people away, both today or when they were published. I think the contest should be about remembering the past, but most of all it should be fun. As such, I think it behooves us participants to to be careful to post more exploitative covers when the contest already has a few.

I should also mention that I myself will be very unlikely to vote for an exploitative cover, and I'm sure there are other posters here who feel the same way. At the same time, I realise that we all have individual limits on what we consider exploitiative or in poor taste.
    Well said. I really think it some cases we should overlook RULE NBR 7 and be allowed to discuss controversial, exploitative covers. I'd rather that we bring that out in a discussion than hitting the report button and involving the mods. I know a lot of mods join the contest so I would welcome any input here. I think it better to have open discussions moving forward so contestants know what may not be appropriate. I think it significant to note a lot of the women posters here voiced their opinion on the matter and that should mean something. The reason why I seldom use my real name on comic book message boards is that they were not always welcoming. I've been posting here in the various iterations since the early 2000s and things have gotten better. Let's hope that people will be aware that some things can be very offensive to women that some men just do not see.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 10-13-2021 at 02:46 PM.