Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I thought Wonder Woman was supposed to be thousands of years old or something, or at least a few centuries old?
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I thought Wonder Woman was supposed to be thousands of years old or something, or at least a few centuries old?
    In Post Crisis, Diana was stated to be in her 30's. She was the only Amazon, who was a mortal around that time.

BANNED

That's right, but she was written as 23 during the Azzarello New 52 run.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    In Post Crisis, Diana was stated to be in her 30's. She was the only Amazon, who was a mortal around that time.
    Was she in her twenties on Earth One and Earth Two as well?

Wonder Woman is 2527 years old.

Diana’s age can fluctuate wildly. Did she fight in the World Wars? Is she the daughter of Zeus was she sculpted from clay. She could be in her 20s or thousands of years old depending on the writer.

Bruce started as Batman in his mid to early 20s. He’s in his 40s right now and no one can tell me different. You can make Superman around the same age or a little younger. However, I feel like Clark should have really good genes like Kryptonian don’t crack, so even when Bruce gets really old Superman and even Wonder Woman should look like they are in their 30s or early 40s.

John Stewart’s in his 30s right now. Early to mid 30s.

Zara a originally would have been the same age as Bruce now I feel that she’s closer to Nightwing’s age.

Green Arrow should be around the same age as Bruce.

Black Canary feels like she’s in her 30s. Probably mid 30s.

Martian Manhunter feels like he should be the oldest member. You can put whatever number you want. Given the history of Mars the older the better.

Cyborg should be around Nightwing’s age

For Flash it depends if you mean Wally or Barry. Wally is around Dick’s age. Barry is a few years younger than Bruce.

Aquaman is either in his 30s or 40s right now.

Firestorm is either a teen or in his early 20s

Hawkgirl is in her 30s.

Hawkman is in his 30s or 40s

Vixen is in her 30s. Probably early 30s

Black Lighting is probably in his mid to late 30s

Red Tornando is a teenager or in single digits

Hal Jordan is a weird one. Pre-Flashpoint the main is clearly in his 40s. Now he might be in his. 30s
    The J-man

In the DCEU and in the Lyda Carter show she is thousands of years old.

Post Crisis she was in her early 20's when she left the island but she was still immortal. That's still the case in Rebirth.

I'm not sure how it worked in the Golden Age whether she was thousands of years old already or was still growing up when Martson was writing her. Later we learned Diana lost her immortality and was aging normally on that world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Zara a originally would have been the same age as Bruce now I feel that she’s closer to Nightwing’s age.
    Zara?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Denny O'Neil writer established in 1971 that Bruce Wayne was about 20 years old when he first became Batman. Dennis O'Neil editor disagreed with the writer and made him older, but I prefer the 20 year old age as that gives Bruce more time to do all the things. Just because he was Batman that doesn't mean he didn't continue to train and travel to other places in the world to improve his skills and technology.
    Ah. Yes. That adds up. Then BBruce took Dick at 12 when he's 22 making them 28 and 18 in the present day of the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    If I were to make up the present day ages, they'd be:

Superman - 33, started at 26
    Batman - 31/32, started at 25
    Wonder Woman - Physically 30, left Themyscira physically 25
    Green Lantern (John) - 31/32, started at 27/28
    Flash - 27-29, started at 23
    This would make the age during the first Teen Titans era. It's only been 6 years the first gen sidekicks would be only 18 at most.

Depends on continuity but the longer the lifespan the slower someone age in relative, and it's easier for writer to write her if they imagine her in a certain age

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Denny O'Neil writer established in 1971 that Bruce Wayne was about 20 years old when he first became Batman. Dennis O'Neil editor disagreed with the writer and made him older, but I prefer the 20 year old age as that gives Bruce more time to do all the things. Just because he was Batman that doesn't mean he didn't continue to train and travel to other places in the world to improve his skills and technology.
    Agreed, especially since it makes more sense in regard to the Robins. That's why Bruce being confirmed to be in late twenties during the Bronze Age was plausible.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Astonishing Member

Batman, Superman, Green Arrow and Hal should be mid 40s to early 50s.

John and Barry should be mid 30s-early 40s

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Diana’s age can fluctuate wildly. Did she fight in the World Wars? Is she the daughter of Zeus was she sculpted from clay. She could be in her 20s or thousands of years old depending on the writer.

Bruce started as Batman in his mid to early 20s. He’s in his 40s right now and no one can tell me different. You can make Superman around the same age or a little younger. However, I feel like Clark should have really good genes like Kryptonian don’t crack, so even when Bruce gets really old Superman and even Wonder Woman should look like they are in their 30s or early 40s.

John Stewart’s in his 30s right now. Early to mid 30s.

Green Arrow should be around the same age as Bruce.

Black Canary feels like she’s in her 30s. Probably mid 30s.

Martian Manhunter feels like he should be the oldest member. You can put whatever number you want. Given the history of Mars the older the better.

Cyborg should be around Nightwing’s age

For Flash it depends if you mean Wally or Barry. Wally is around Dick’s age. Barry is a few years younger than Bruce.

Aquaman is either in his 30s or 40s right now.

Firestorm is either a teen or in his early 20s

Hawkgirl is in her 30s.

Hawkman is in his 30s or 40s

Vixen is in her 30s. Probably early 30s

Black Lighting is probably in his mid to late 30s

Red Tornando is a teenager or in single digits

Hal Jordan is a weird one. Pre-Flashpoint the main is clearly in his 40s. Now he might be in his. 30s
    Neat ideas. For me, like I said, I tend to look at origin. So John Stewart was already an architect when Wally was no older than junior in high school. Hell, I still like Zatanna quite a bit younger than Clark and Bruce, as she originally was. And I do like Vixen debuting at 25, but then I know that's on me, since it comes from my fondness for the earlier version of Vixen, from her first appearance and cancelled story, rather than from actual canon. GA, Cyborg, and the Flashes seem right to me.

I definitely don't like forever-young/immortal Kryptonians, though. And prefer Diana to age as humans do, when she's not on the island. But those versions seem to have been discarded in favor the immortal ones.

I like him older because of him originally becoming Batman 15 years after his parents' deaths, and he wasn't 5 then. Plus, I do have some issues with the early '70s trying to recast what was (to me) always a father/son dynamic with Bruce and Dick as brotherly in what seems like a concerted attempt to make Bruce younger-seeming. Doesn't help to have the same guy basically erase Roy from Ollie's present, so he doesn't function as dad-of-grown-up either. Forgive me if I'm misremembered who is responsible for what.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-10-2021 at 05:18 AM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Agreed, especially since it makes more sense in regard to the Robins. That's why Bruce being confirmed to be in late twenties during the Bronze Age was plausible.
    Now that I think about it, not only did they establish that Bruce first became Batman when he was about twenty years of age (or "not yet old enough to vote") in BATMAN 232 (June 1971), they had already done the same thing for Clark in "The Day Superboy Became Superman,"ACTION COMICS 393 (October 1970).

That's one of those in-between years stories and Clark is at college when he decides to go by Superman rather than Superboy, so he would have been around twenty years old in that story. Thus Superman appears in Metropolis and Batman appears in Gotham City at about the same time, when they are both under voting age (in the United States at that time in history).

Of course, to the readers in the 1970s and 1980s, youth was very important and they didn't want to read about old men and old women in their thirties still running around playing at super-heroes. This was already important to the Marvel readers in the 1960s, which is why Spider-Man was the most popular character from that publisher. Don't trust anyone over thirty!

National Periodicals saw Marvel eating into their sales, and they wanted readers to know that their heroes were young, too. It was important for Batman, Superman and the rest to be perceived as youthful in the present day. So the tail wagged the dog--whatever age they had to be in the past was only to allow for them to have been active and had all those adventures yet still be under thirty in the current comics.

And given Batman was back to being a solo character again, making him younger served to make him more appealing to the readers.

I still prefer that. I guess the reason they have forced Batman to get a little older is just so they can fit in all these spin-off characters. Batman loses something in the deal, but they have all these other younger Bat-characters that can hold their own titles. So it all evens out in the sales reports.

Superman, unfortunately, has suffered the same fate because they've now decided to put all their faith in a younger Superman to take his place. But I much prefer to read about Clark, Lois, Jimmy when they were all in their twenties. Makes me feel young again.

I don't put much stock in what DC says is "official" ages. They ignore their own statements when it suits them and reboot everything too often for it to matter. And I don't think concrete, exact ages work anyway, better if it's a little more loose than that, with an age "range" instead of being specific.

I tend to measure things by Clark as well, since he was the first.

If Clark graduates at 18, spends four years getting a degree and/or doing whatever he does in those traditionally "lost" years, he begins his journalism career around the age of 22, and likely becomes Superman not too awfully long after that.

There needs to be at least a few years of Clark being single, so you can have all the "triangle for two" stories, and I feel like you can condense that into three years so Clark is probably around 25 when he and Lois start dating. You figure they date for at least a couple years before getting married and Clark and Lois are tying the knot when Clark is roughly 27-28. They didn't have Jon immediately and didn't think they'd ever have kids at all, so you gotta add a few years before Jon comes along. So you figure another two-three years for the "married no kids" era, and Clark is probably around 30-32 when Lois gets pregnant. Jon was ten years old when he got lost in space/time so Clark is now somewhere around 41-43 and has been active as Superman for roughly twenty years.

From there you can fit the rest of the League around the timeframe.

Bruce and Ollie and other powerless heroes being in their early-ish 40's is not a problem; Tom Brady is in his 40's and is still winning Super Bowls, so Bruce being an active, effective Batman at the same age isn't out of the question.
    Last edited by Ascended; 10-10-2021 at 10:26 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post

Zara?

Lol the internetÂ’s been down since yesterday morning and IÂ’m posting from my cellphone. Auto correct got me again

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Neat ideas. For me, like I said, I tend to look at origin. So John Stewart was already an architect when Wally was no older than junior in high school. Hell, I still like Zatanna quite a bit younger than Clark and Bruce, as she originally was. And I do like Vixen debuting at 25, but then I know that's on me, since it comes from my fondness for the earlier version of Vixen, from her first appearance and cancelled story, rather than from actual canon. GA, Cyborg, and the Flashes seem right to me.

I definitely don't like forever-young/immortal Kryptonians, though. And prefer Diana to age as humans do, when she's not on the island. But those versions seem to have been discarded in favor the immortal ones.

I like him older because of him originally becoming Batman 15 years after his parents' deaths, and he wasn't 5 then. Plus, I do have some issues with the early '70s trying to recast what was (to me) always a father/son dynamic with Bruce and Dick as brotherly in what seems like a concerted attempt to make Bruce younger-seeming. Doesn't help to have the same guy basically erase Roy from Ollie's present, so he doesn't function as dad-of-grown-up either. Forgive me if I'm misremembered who is responsible for what.
    I hear you. Diana can be inconsistent. At times she is incredibly wise and calm and often the most mature of the League. Than other people have her as a very fiery emotional character who doesnÂ’t seem a day out of her 30s. I guess the latest live action version has me leaning more towards her being very old. It does make any romances she has with say Superman or Batman a little weird tho. You know DC always tries to make those pairings stick every few years.

At this point I prefer Dick and Bruce be more like brothers than father son. Dick grew up with his parents till he was 12 or 13. Bruce would only be around 10 to 14 years older. Alfred can be the father figure. It just ages Bruce further than needed if heÂ’s a father figure to Dick too. I also feel like Dick stands apart from the other RobinÂ’s. They all hold Bruce in reverence but Dick has actually filled in for Bruce successfully for significant length of times. Founding the Titans. Dick is a trailblazer as much as Bruce, being the first sidekick. I think the rest of the Batfamily outside of Barbara and Jason who became Oracle and the anti-hero Redhood respectively.
    The J-man

Incredible Member

In the DCEU and in the Lyda Carter show she is thousands of years old.

Post Crisis she was in her early 20's when she left the island but she was still immortal. That's still the case in Rebirth.

I'm not sure how it worked in the Golden Age whether she was thousands of years old already or was still growing up when Martson was writing her. Later we learned Diana lost her immortality and was aging normally on that world.
    Also, it also tends to be glossed over/forgotten, but Pre-Crisis Earth 1 Diana had to be active for close to two decades going by Donna Troy's Pre-Crisis backstory (Diana Rescued Donna as baby/toddler, and Donna was in college during New Teen Titans).