Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: ASM 76 preview

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    Geez. Double post again. My phone acting stupid… maybe I’ll add/edit something important to the conversation here….

Ok, so, personally, I think this would be a perfect time to go ahead and rip the bandaid off of Peter’s Spider-Man identity to Aunt May (again) and also let Ben get his reveal (closure) with Aunt May as well. It’s 20 years over due and doing it all now during the Beyond arch, will have a clean slate for stories for Peter once the book shifts back over to him post 19 issues or issue 900.

Beyond could be used as “clean-up” for both Ben and Peter, cleaning up unresolved Ben plot points from the 90’s with ties to Beyond Corp, Peter and MJ dealing with Harry’s loss, fallout of Kindred, Aunt May dealing with the fact that she has not one, but three nephews (Ben and Kaine) if this could be used as an opportunity to get the ball rolling for that.

I see it as a win. For both Ben and Peter, if this Beyond arch could be used for that. Cleanup and restructure for both of them (and in a sense, both Miles and Kaine as well since Miles is also appearing to go through some upheaval in his own world).
    Peter should reveal it to May or May should find out and talk to Peter about it.That's a heavy moment that needs it's breathing space and I just feel it doesn't make sense to Jam it in w/ all the stuff we get in this like Kraven/Morbius/Obsidian/Miles/Doc/etc. I'd rather they focus on Ben and his stuff and leave the fallout from Spencer to the next writer who can focus on that.Although that's not gonna happen since we have a PeterMJ issue coming up and the writer is Ahmed so it can be hot or miss for me.His take on Peter was pretty mid, not to mention he did nerf Peter in his run(not that it matters much since Peter's is immobile here).Patrick Gleasons issue where he writers and draws it is what I'm looking forward to the most.Really hope that is the return of Peter, and not a one step forward two steps back situation.

Astonishing Member

I don't know why, but I was suspecting May will realize that wasn't Peter talking. Ben might be Peter's clone, but even so, there are somethings that can't fool a mother.

Astonishing Member

Spoilers indicate Ben fans will be happy with how he’s portrayed this issue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Yeah, what irks me a little is that we haven't seen Ben's inner dialogue yet. Are they hiding something?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Yeah, what irks me a little is that we haven't seen Ben's inner dialogue yet. Are they hiding something?
    I don’t think so. Comics seem to have shifted away from inner dialogues in the last few years. In any event, Peter is still the main voice of the book I think. Auxiliary characters rarely have their thoughts depicted on page now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Spiderbros fans will also be happy from what I've seen.

Astonishing Member

I read it. The dynamic between Ben and Peter is as solid as it was in the 90s. Finally. Very good issue for Ben fans.

Extraordinary Member

Read and spoilers:

1.Preview stuff, May and MJ make it to the hospital and Peter says danger is inside.Beyond guy Marcus tells Janine to make sure that Ben follows contract, then Ben comes in and some funny.Ben's costume is monitored so he had to take it off to save Peter w/out revealing his idenitity.So I'm guessing Beyond doesn't know or doesn't want Ben to know they know who Peter is.
    2.Janine knows who Peter is, and Janine states she doesn't like Marcus as well.Fancy stuff is here as well, he has rest periods as well.And Marcus wants him to go because longer U-foes are out they are making beyond look bad.
    3.Peter wakes up, May and MJ are there and they talk.May goes to see the Doc.Cut to Misty and Colleen telling Ben how he takes out U-foes, special gear and all.(How do Misty and Collen know who he is btw?) but Ben says he needs to go.Good to see Ben, Misty and Colleen respecting spidey.Ben says he needs one hour.
    4.Doc tells them what's up.Then Ben comes to Peter, MJ is angry at him.Ben and Peter have a talk, Ben wants his blessing and says he isn't used to all this.Peter gives it to him.MJ and May are written worse than I'd like.Peter and Ben are on point.
    5.As soon as Ben leaves Peter seizes up, I guess he gave his blessing because he knew he was in no shape to Spider-man.A little weird but calling it now we'll get a scene at the end w/ Peter telling him the blessing still stands.Maybe he keeps it or maybe he says he wants to do it his own way aka scarlet Spider style.
    6.Ben goes after U foes, w/ tech and then we get a page of him saying "Hell yes, SPIDER-MAN".
    end of spoilers

Overall it's a good issue, nothing major but good character work.

Astonishing Member

Zeb Wells seems like he has a great handle on both Peter and Ben (Ben is harder, since you really have to dig through the clone saga to understand him and most writers don’t want to bother *cough* PAD *cough*). I’m very impressed so far and I think Beyond is turning out better than most people expected so far. It’s still early, but this is the best the book has been since early in Spencer’s run imo.

nice issue. really like the conversation between Ben and Peter. guess Ben is officially Spider-Man again. Peter still reeling from the attack.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy