Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ASM 76 preview

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    It could be Aunt may wo dies not Peter
    No way they’d do something as big as killing off Aunt May in a filler run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I haven't gotten that impression from Wells' work so far. He seems like a huge fan of the Clone Saga era and it looks as though MJ will be a big part of the books going forward, a co-partner with Peter as they deal with the hospital mystery from the solicits (and undoubtedly the Beyond Corp).
    Well those stories are to be written by Saladin Ahmed. Zen Wells is overall showrunner and his views of the characters are more equal than others. Would be different if it was Ahmed in charge and Wells had the two issues by himself that could be ignored.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Well those stories are to be written by Saladin Ahmed. Zen Wells is overall showrunner and his views of the characters are more equal than others. Would be different if it was Ahmed in charge and Wells had the two issues by himself that could be ignored.
    I'm mostly going by the way Wells writes Clone Saga references. Most fans of the Clone Saga like the way the marriage was written. And Wells has included a lot of nice touches--like the subtle nod to Ben Reilly having talked by phone with Aunt May while he was on the road.

I also think he wrote MJ well in the few scenes she was in for issue 75.

Naturally, it remains to be seen how that plays out. No one who'd read the first 25 issues of Spencer's run could have guessed what the next few years would be like (whether they liked it or not).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    No way they’d do something as big as killing off Aunt May in a filler run.
    I really doubt they would do so in a filler run, I hope they don't as well

I don't know if it's really a 'filler' run. I expect some pretty big dominoes to fall into place for 900 at any rate.

One thing to keep in mind is that BEYOND is roughly the same length the original Clone Saga was intended to be. Ben Reilly was supposed to be revealed as the original Peter Parker and take up the mantle around ASM 400.

So, you know, you can set up something pretty big in that timeframe at 3x monthly!

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    It could be Aunt may wo dies not Peter
    Unless it's an alternative universe or other media she is never going to die
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

I'm mostly going by the way Wells writes Clone Saga references. Most fans of the Clone Saga like the way the marriage was written. And Wells has included a lot of nice touches--like the subtle nod to Ben Reilly having talked by phone with Aunt May while he was on the road.

I also think he wrote MJ well in the few scenes she was in for issue 75.

Naturally, it remains to be seen how that plays out. No one who'd read the first 25 issues of Spencer's run could have guessed what the next few years would be like (whether they liked it or not).
    Well I hope you are right in any case.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

I don't know if it's really a 'filler' run. I expect some pretty big dominoes to fall into place for 900 at any rate.

One thing to keep in mind is that BEYOND is roughly the same length the original Clone Saga was intended to be. Ben Reilly was supposed to be revealed as the original Peter Parker and take up the mantle around ASM 400.

So, you know, you can set up something pretty big in that timeframe at 3x monthly!
    I still doubt that it's going to happen, but if the Aunt May phone call was indeed a setup for her to meet up with Ben for the first time, maybe Beyond's claim to long lasting continuity impact would be her re-learning Peter's identity.

...for like the third time. spoilers:
    Just find a way to re-canonize ASM #400 at least as far as May always knowing and I'll be on my way, never again for human eyes to set sight on me or for human minds by me to bothered be.
    end of spoilers
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    I still doubt that it's going to happen, but if the Aunt May phone call was indeed a setup for her to meet up with Ben for the first time, maybe Beyond's claim to long lasting continuity impact would be her re-learning Peter's identity.

...for like the third time. spoilers:
    Just find a way to re-canonize ASM #400 at least as far as May always knowing and I'll be on my way, never again for human eyes to set sight on me or for human minds by me to bothered be.
    end of spoilers
    Thing is JMS's reveal was spot on as well.Just make ant of those 2 canon and we can work w/ it.Kinda tired of the always knowing thing, MJ and May is a bit much.Not to mention more people reading right now would have read JMS's reveal than 400.

Anyway they do it, hopefully it's as impactful.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    Some good drama in these preview pages! I'm glad Peter isn't comatose and we are still experiencing his thoughts as he's fighting for his life here.
    Yeah it was good but it hurt to read.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Quoted for truth, guy can't catch a break even in his coma.I guess we'll find out what's going on when the whole issue comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Thing is JMS's reveal was spot on as well.Just make ant of those 2 canon and we can work w/ it.Kinda tired of the always knowing thing, MJ and May is a bit much.Not to mention more people reading right now would have read JMS's reveal than 400.

Anyway they do it, hopefully it's as impactful.
    I don't see how they could retcon Aunt May always knowing back into continuity after JMS' run had her discovering his secret identity. Maybe if they just went with she had known for a long time, but couldn't admit it to herself?

Anyway, I'm totally agreed about ASM 400. Glenn Greenberg said he liked to think of ASM 200 as the moment where Aunt May realized Peter was Spider-Man and I think that fits perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    As all good drama should! What a beautifully done moment. Just makes you feel so terrible for Peter.

Extraordinary Member

I don't see how they could retcon Aunt May always knowing back into continuity after JMS' run had her discovering his secret identity. Maybe if they just went with she had known for a long time, but couldn't admit it to herself?

Anyway, I'm totally agreed about ASM 400. Glenn Greenberg said he liked to think of ASM 200 as the moment where Aunt May realized Peter was Spider-Man and I think that fits perfectly.
    Exactly, it's a loop hole.Either way hopefully if they do it it lands.

As all good drama should! What a beautifully done moment. Just makes you feel so terrible for Peter.
    yeah I never consider that his spider-sense has been going off this whole time would be just as annoying. Well he will pull thru wonder how long it will take him to recover fully
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy