Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ASM 76 preview

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    yeah I never consider that his spider-sense has been going off this whole time would be just as annoying. Well he will pull thru wonder how long it will take him to recover fully
    Depending on the threat level it can either tickle(bullets), hurt(massive explosions), go full migrane splitting his head open(Galactus) and if he takes enough damage he'll just stop feeling his head(Phoenix 5).

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Exactly, it's a loop hole.Either way hopefully if they do it it lands.
    For the foreseeable future, I hope any retcons are done like pulling a band-aid.

Devoting too much time to this kind of thing ends up feeling like digging your way out of a hole.

I've got no problem if a few years down the line they reveal that Norman Osborn never sold Harry's soul to Mephisto but it'd probably work best as a throwaway panel. Mephisto laughing about how he pulled that one off to torment Norman and Harry.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I don't see how they could retcon Aunt May always knowing back into continuity after JMS' run had her discovering his secret identity. Maybe if they just went with she had known for a long time, but couldn't admit it to herself?
    I'll take it. Some sort of absolute denial that she convinced herself it wasn't true. Hey, we literally had to deal with "Osborn and an actress did it", we can only go up from there.

Anyway, I'm totally agreed about ASM 400. Glenn Greenberg said he liked to think of ASM 200 as the moment where Aunt May realized Peter was Spider-Man and I think that fits perfectly.
    I can buy that. I also wouldn't mind seeing Glenn getting back to the fold - I thought his Mendel Stromm story after the end of the Clone Saga was lovely and one of the few stories that didn't try to gloss over the period. Goblins at the Gate was a neat little arc as well.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    I'll take it. Some sort of absolute denial that she convinced herself it wasn't true. Hey, we literally had to deal with "Osborn and an actress did it", we can only go up from there.

I can buy that. I also wouldn't mind seeing Glenn getting back to the fold - I thought his Mendel Stromm story after the end of the Clone Saga was lovely and one of the few stories that didn't try to gloss over the period. Goblins at the Gate was a neat little arc as well.
    His Osborn Journals made sense out of a complicated last minute recton, too.

Maybe he could write "The Kindred Journals."

Fantastic Member

I wouldn't mind May knowing again, and meeting both Ben and Kaine... kinda have an extended family of 'Nephews/Sons'.

As for the MJ thing, just saw that she was too worried to put two and two together. It's likely when she has the time to process, she'll know it was Ben who called.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    For the foreseeable future, I hope any retcons are done like pulling a band-aid.

Devoting too much time to this kind of thing ends up feeling like digging your way out of a hole.

I've got no problem if a few years down the line they reveal that Norman Osborn never sold Harry's soul to Mephisto but it'd probably work best as a throwaway panel. Mephisto laughing about how he pulled that one off to torment Norman and Harry.
    I'd rather they leave all this for the guys writing the next big run.This is a last minute 19 issue placeholder whose idea came from the editor and has like 4 writers.Just make sure Ben fans are happy w/ his stuff while not ruining anything w/ Peter and his cast.Then land Peter's return and then when Ben and Beyond are gone from ASM we can focus on all this stuff.Really hoping we get a solid writer for the next run, we'll find out in like 3 months or something.

Bruh are you telling me MJ could not tell Peter vs Ben after all these years.LMAO no, they aren't doing MJ justice in these issues.
    Atleast May knows, but they way Ben talks MJ would too

And Peter being in massive pain, give the man a break.Man can't catch a break even in his "coma".
    How long would you say 616 Ben been alive and had experiences outside of Peter within 616 rules? Ben being Peter's 'clone' the confusion is acceptable ONLY in the beginning where the two has 1to1 life experiences. However I think by now when Ben has his own personal experiences including different experiences of: culture, events, and accents (Texas and Vegas I believe he moved and made a life in right?) then Ben is no longer a 'Clone' of Peter (outside of the untraditional birth and biology possible factors only) but has become his own man. The moment Ben was born every second + every choice he made while Peter made his own has made each their own man.

That means Ben's accent should be different and he made himself into who he is now by his own choices, new influences, and people in his own life. So speaking on the phone it would make sense for people that know Peter very well for a great deal of time should be able to tell something is off still.

To be honest not only should May be able to tell apart when Ben and Peter when they naturally talk (they might try to 'mask' there voices which might work or might not depending of factors) but I feel so should MJ have a internal alert based on voice/tone/word usage coming out. Possible Ben was mentally unnerved at the time calling May thus was using his natural voice that might have a Texas/Vegas accent weaved in by time which Peter doesn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    How long would you say 616 Ben been alive and had experiences outside of Peter within 616 rules? Ben being Peter's 'clone' the confusion is acceptable ONLY in the beginning where the two has 1to1 life experiences. However I think by now when Ben has his own personal experiences including different experiences of: culture, events, and accents (Texas and Vegas I believe he moved and made a life in right?) then Ben is no longer a 'Clone' of Peter (outside of the untraditional birth and biology possible factors only) but has become his own man. The moment Ben was born every second + every choice he made while Peter made his own has made each their own man.

That means Ben's accent should be different and he made himself into who he is now by his own choices, new influences, and people in his own life. So speaking on the phone it would make sense for people that know Peter very well for a great deal of time should be able to tell something is off still.

To be honest not only should May be able to tell apart when Ben and Peter when they naturally talk (they might try to 'mask' there voices which might work or might not depending of factors) but I feel so should MJ have a internal alert based on voice/tone/word usage coming out. Possible Ben was mentally unnerved at the time calling May thus was using his natural voice that might have a Texas/Vegas accent weaved in by time which Peter doesn't have.
    that's possible, there's other possibilities too.

a lot of people i know have moved to the states for work, and how much they adopt the US accent varies. some of them totally drop their aussie speech patterns (to the point where they had to get vocal coaching to restore their original ones), some have a mixed accent and a few have retained their original patterns (or any change is not easily picked up on).

but it doesn't seem like the story implies one way or the other with ben, so it's take your pick really.

it also depends on how on alert you are to possible imposters. generally, if someone receives a call from a loved one...even if that loved one sounds a bit "off", i don't think we tend to question their identity unless they're asking us to send large sums of money (even then, google "grandparent phone scam").

you could argue MJ should be on higher alert than the average person, but that would be exhausting day in and day out. if she got a call from a man who sounded 99% like peter on peter's phone telling her he's been injured (something she knows is highly probable as a superhero), it's worth her investigating without challenging it. i wouldn't blame her for prioritising peter getting hurt over doubting the caller's identity.

one reason i can see for may picking it up where mj didn't, would be that ben simply did a poor af job on that call. or maybe she's been grandparent phone scammed before.
    Last edited by boots; 10-08-2021 at 07:20 PM.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    I wouldn't mind May knowing again, and meeting both Ben and Kaine... kinda have an extended family of 'Nephews/Sons'.
    Seconded. She knows his identity in both the MCU films and "Into the Spiderverse" and the character isn't any worse for it. (Heck, I thought Aunt May was at her most relevant to the comic series during the JMS run.) Marvel comics loves their "movie synergy" (even if they have to fit a square peg into a round hole to do it.) So why not?
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post

Spitting, and both have shown to do a great job at telling if Peter is who he is or if he's hiding something before.

Yeah, it's a small instance w/ MJ but it's a BND writer and everything from the Ben reilly comment to this hasn't been good.And I'm paranoid af

Incredible Member

I’d like to think that Ben and Kaine are both physically younger than Peter, due to the periods of both of them being dead (Kaine from being dead in that pod from the 90’s era and then from Grim Hunt), and depending on the period that it took for Miles Warren to revive and then proceed to kill Ben those 26 other times, I’d like to think that maybe a physical year difference between them all, may help with overall body distinctions.

Kaine was a muscular powerhouse, having to deal with his degeneration all the time, it made him much more physically bigger and stronger than Peter and Ben. I’d like to think that maybe, even though they are all the same height (clones and all) that the artists would try to draw Kaine physically taller.

Voices? Well, both Ben and Kaine both lived on the run, dejected lives. Their voices would naturally not sound exactly like Peter anymore, no matter how “upbeat” they might be at the moment. Similar, but not really. But I guess it doesn’t really matter, since we are “reading” a comic, and not “watching” a comic. We are just speculating on how in-universe these characters would respond/react to each other.

I’m gonna have to sit down and re-read this issue again today, after reading 875 that I bought yesterday. I wonder if Ben knows yet about Harry’s second “death” yet. Even in that mini-series, before Ben’s death and Janine turning herself over to the police, Ben was still haunted over Harry’s death.

Next Wednesday can’t get here fast enough. I need more Ben Reilly. This whole, three issues a month isn’t gonna cut it. I need me a Amazing, Sensational, Web of, whatever! I just need some more adventures if Ben Reilly, stat!

You guys are really trying to say people who have the exact same body down to the genetic level should have different voices?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    You guys are really trying to say people who have the exact same body down to the genetic level should have different voices?
    Different accents my guy.If you lived 2 different lives for years in different areas of the big city/world you would sound different.Speaking from experience here.It depends from one person to another quite a bit as well but most pick up atleast some accent under a year or 2 from what I've seen.But considering how well we've seen MJ and May knowing Peter they would pick up on it.Close family notices even slight changes in accents and MJ/May are as close as you get w/Peter.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-09-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Astonishing Member

Different accents my guy.If you lived 2 different lives for years in different areas of the big city/world you would sound different.Speaking from experience here.It depends from one person to another quite a bit as well but most pick up atleast some accent under a year or 2 from what I've seen.But considering how well we've seen MJ and May knowing Peter they would pick up on it.Close family notices even slight changes in accents and MJ/May are as close as you get w/Peter.
    Not necessarily true. I had a new boss who came to the company. I said what part of Canada are you from? He said how do you know, I was in Spain for seven years. I said your accent. He said I do not have an accent. I said eh. He laughed because he knew what I was talking about. As for me, I have been gone from New York for 8 years and I sound “Straight out of Brooklyn” even today. Taking this to ASM: May knowing it was not Peter but MJ not knowing is simply bad writing on Wells part, but in all fairness compared to the errors we saw in 874, that error was marginal at best.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 10-09-2021 at 08:42 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Not necessarily true. I had a new boss who came to the company. I said what part of Canada are you from? He said how do you know, I was in Spain for seven years. I said your accent. He said I do not have an accent. I said eh. He laughed because he knew what I was talking about. As for me, I have been gone from New York for 8 years and I sound “Straight out of Brooklyn” even today. Taking this to ASM: May knowing it was not Peter but MJ not knowing is simply bad writing on Wells part, but in all fairness compared to the errors we saw in 874, that error was marginal at best.
    On the whole voice issue… me personally….

Meh. I’ve lived in the South (North Carolina) my whole life, and people I run into everyday swear I’m from New York. I’m so southern, my sweet tea has diabetes. They swear I have an New York accent (that doesn’t exist. I’ve only visited the state New York twice my whole life). And this comes from a lot of Northern folk that have moved to the area, a lot that I work with too.

My brother and I are 7 years apart in age. If you close your eyes, or talk to us on the phone, you would never know who you are taking to. To this day, our own mother can’t tell us apart if she’s talking to us, but not looking at us, by being in another room or whatnot.
    Last edited by Blanks; 10-09-2021 at 09:57 AM.