Mighty Member

Default "Aaaiiee!": Kick A*S British comics you love?

Growing up in OZ we got both the UK and US stuff.

Some of my British Faves -

Hookjaw - 70s Jaws ripoff recently revived by Simon Spurrier in Titan books. Shark with a meathook stuck in its mouth dismembers every one in its way. It was an Action comics feature. Other characters included :
    Kids Rule OK - Grange Hill meets Escape from New York - nearly all the adults die and youth gangs terrorise London. Look out for Lefty - a more larrikin version of Roy of the rovers. Plus there were others such as a Dirty Harry and Rocky type characters (featuring one of the first black British heroes). Wouldn't mind revivals of these (TV, movie , game)

Charley's war by Pat Mills and Joe Colquoun . Powerfully anti-war but still kicks ***. Long running series about a boy lying about his age to join WWI only to face many horrors ("they said it'd be safe! they liiieeed!!!")

Major Easy (nazi hunter). Art by Ezquerra
    Darkie's Mob . Rough British officer and his troops vs. Japanese in Burma. Darkie is later revealed to be a half Japanese Buddhist!

Many of these are in nice Titan books HCs. Along with Johnny Red and Garth Ennis presents Battle!

and YOUR faves?

Invincible Member

Do Tank Girl reprints count?

Mighty Member

I suppose.

Also, it's amazing that the "Commando" digests are still being made! ('Gotten Himmel! Zese Englishmen fight like mad men! " Take THAT Jerry! RATATATAT!!!")

Marshall Law. Lotsa 2000AD : Slaine, Missionary man, Button man, Dredd and all the foreign Judges.

Honorable mention to a strip in "oink" ( a late 80's junior Version of VIZ featuring gross-out characters) it had this psycho human butcher character running around killing cartoon pig people. Very dark for a humour comic. Charlie Brooker, writer of Black Mirror, used to work for Oink. Was the butcher his creation?

Hopefully this counts, but these would be my choices...

Death's Head

MarvelMan/MiracleMan

Captain Britain

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Do Tank Girl reprints count?
    I know, right?! Does V for Vendetta count, as well?

Some of the 2000AD series. Not the “obvious” Judge Dredd (which I do quite like, but not really love), but Time Twisters and Future Shocks which I think are some of the best ever light hearted fun comics.

Think some of the newspaper comic strips of late 60’s on…stuff like Garth, The Perishers, The Fosdyke Saga, Fred Basset…were top notch.

And guess most Brits of my “vintage” have read and enjoyed the Dandy and Beano at some point. I know I did.

Mighty Member

The general dies at dawn. Honourable German WW2 officer is to be shot for refusing to kill civilians. Obvious influence on Ennis here.

Best,worst Viz characters?

Faves. Postman Pat, Billy no mates, suicidal Sid, Terry F.wit
    Not so fave. Billy the fish, tinribs, drunken bakers and fat slags. And you?
    Last edited by AnthonyO'Brien; 10-08-2021 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    The general dies at dawn. Honourable German WW2 officer is to be shot for refusing to kill civilians. Obvious influence on Ennis here.

Best,worst Viz characters?

Faves. Postman Pat, Billy no mates, suicidal Sid, Terry F.wit
    Not so fave. Billy the fish, tinribs, drunken bakers and fat slags. And you?
    Sadly, not read much Viz…but do have a liking for the Fish, Fulchester’s finest netminder.

Mighty Member

Remember the Dredd newspaper comic? It was short lived but impressed me as a kid with its dark humour. One strip had an anti smoking message where an offender is sent to a noxious smoking room.
    Ever find old UK comics in op shops? I saw a bunch of 70s TV fun comics featuring magic roundabout on the covers and a Rolf Harris comic strip (ewww).
    The goodies had a TV comic as well drawn by Joe Colquhoun. They should have printed it in Oz it would have given the Phantom some competition!