View Poll Results: Should the X-Women be assembled and should men be allowed on the team?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, but only women.

17 35.42%
  • Yes, but with men also on the team.

4 8.33%
  • No.

27 56.25%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

For one side is not bad to have a women/girl power book that is good.

For another side i think that a book when most of the team are women and the men are mostly in a support would work just as well.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post

For another side i think that a book when most of the team are women and the men are mostly in a support would work just as well.
    Yeah, I enjoy more when the dynamic is a little tilted (such as the original New Mutants, with three girls and two boys, and while Xavier seemed to *intend* for the blonde white boy Sam to be the squad leader, it quickly fell to Dani to be 'co-leader,' because the POC girl was getting it done, while Sam was still a little unsure of himself). And then they added Cypher, Warlock, Magik and Amara, two *powerhouse* ladies, a shapeshifting robot and well, Doug.

That felt organic and not quite as contrived as five powerful X-ladies get together and make their own team without boys.

I do like how the X-franchise has so many utter powerhouse ladies. Storm, Jean, Polaris, Rogue, Rachel, occasionally Monet, Magma and Magik. All serious heavy hitters, usually paired up with dudes who are capable, but not nearly as top-tier.

That said, for an X-team of primarily ladies, I'd prefer some less powerful ladies, that don't dominate the action, like Frenzy, Dazzler, Aurora, Firestar, Jubilee, Surge, Wind-Dancer, Dust, Sage, Tempo, etc. or even some totally left-field choices like Unuscione, Dragoness, Scanner, Gargouille, Scaleface, Tommy, Fixx, Tangerine, Cerise, Risque, Wicked, etc.

Mutantkind is *hardly* lacking for interesting X-ladies!

Ultimate Member

Why is it always called contrived when it's all women?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I have seen this before but just noticed for the first time: isn't that really Meggan under the waterfall and not Alison? Alison had short hair during this time frame and not pointed ears. Glad to see editors were doing their jobs then.

But going back to the premise of this thread, yes an all-female team has existed before. The premise and cast was great, until Kitty and Rogue were stolen from the roster 4 issues in. Then it was decent but never had the same feel.
    Pretty sure it is because that's the Gold era - the "short hair" Ali at the time wasn't even a member of a team, she wasn't being used. Thats def Meg anyway because it's just obvious, and notice the pixyish pose.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post

Well, imho, there shouldn't even be a need for an all woman book. People don't want to admit they turned back the clock around 2007. There was a time where women outnumbered males in the X-Men and no one thought anything of it. And were getting tons of focus. "Girl power" isn't really going to do anything in the long run. And I am not a girl, I am an adult.

God that Milo Manara comic was terrible.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Well, imho, there shouldn't even be a need for an all woman book. People don't want to admit they turned back the clock around 2007. There was a time where women outnumbered males in the X-Men and no one thought anything of it. And were getting tons of focus. "Girl power" isn't really going to do anything in the long run. And I am not a girl, I am an adult.
    'Woman power' might be a better term.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    Should the "X-Women" team be made and should men be allowed to join?
    Should men be allowed to join? no. they should not. it is for women only. I dont watch any real housewives shows but I will assume the main leading central characters of the show are women? same should apply here.

Should the "X-Women" team be made and should men be allowed to join?
    My goddess that book was absolutely rubbish in almost every way. Awful writing and characterization from Claremont and even worse artwork from Manara. I’m all for female empowerment and characters dressing sexy and revealing as a form of confidence, but the cheesecake artwork with every single female character in this book was just downright gratuitous and exploitive.
    Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Astonishing Member

Sure, as long as it's under the MAX line.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Should men be allowed to join? no. they should not. it is for women only. I dont watch any real housewives shows but I will assume the main leading central characters of the show are women? same should apply here.
    Well, yes that's a question but no men at all may veer towards separatism. I think a male support cast would be fine. Or the boyfriends. But a bigger question is... should it be written by a man?

And no I don't have to boycott other books.

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    My goddess that book was absolutely rubbish in almost every way. Awful writing and characterization from Claremont and even worse artwork from Manara. I’m all for female empowerment and characters dressing sexy and revealing as a form of confidence, but the cheesecake artwork with every single female character in this book was just downright gratuitous and exploitive.
    You mean exploited? That "humor" about Storm being chased around and nearly raped by some grabby man with the sleezy mustache in the background while others were dancing away was hilar-ious And then there was the fetishization of lesbianism.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

People defend the name "X-Men" because they say the "Men" part is empty and just a generic word, so that's why women can be on the team and they shouldn't change it to X-People.

Do names matter? When Coipel's X-team had all women, why didn't they acknowledge it by changing the name out of respect to the members?

It's interesting that "X-Women" has to be more faithful to the word "women" while "X-Men" is neutral because men are the default. They should be able to change X-Men to X-Women and write the same stories, but I think we know the X-fanbase isn't open minded despite their stories claiming to teach otherwise.

People defend the name "X-Men" because they say the "Men" part is empty and just a generic word, so that's why women can be on the team and they shouldn't change it to X-People.

Do names matter? When Coipel's X-team had all women, why didn't they acknowledge it by changing the name out of respect to the members?

It's interesting that "X-Women" has to be more faithful to the word "women" while "X-Men" is neutral because men are the default. They should be able to change X-Men to X-Women and write the same stories, but I think we know the X-fanbase isn't open minded despite their stories claiming to teach otherwise.
    Introducing: the X-Theys.

Fantastic Member

Remember how excited people were for Wood's female team, I even recall him posting on here arguing with fans who found it contrived/were bothered by the concept.

Pretty ironic considering the guy was a seriel sexual harasser of women.

Also, imagine reading that comic and still refusing to acknowledge that CC was a total perv lol.

Ultimate Member

I thought the metaphor was perfect/s