View Poll Results: Are Jean Grey and Dark Phoenix two different characters?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 40.00%
  • No

51 46.36%
  • We will never know

15 13.64%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Are Jean Grey and Dark Phoenix two different characters?

The discussion comes from the top 5 Female Villains thread. I am of the opinion Dark Phoenix is not a different character. It is Phoenix (JG thus) doing Dark deeds. But it is better we have a different discussion about the matter on its own.
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Jean was in a cocoon during the whole Dark Phoenix storyline. Now with that being said. The psychic of the Phoenix was based on Jean, so a case could be made that Jean was the reason the Dark Phoenix turned evil.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I mean, canonically, yes. They're separate people. But Phoenix as Jean Grey had all of Jean Grey's memories and personality when she formed and, after she died, Jean Grey got all of Phoenix's memories from when she was in her shoes. So it's OK to discuss them as the same person in that sense, but the evidence can't be argued with. It's clearly stated in Fantastic Four #286.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

BANNED

The retcon in Fantastic Four # 286 was undone in AvX. Jean and the Phoenix were the same.

RCO022_1475730400.jpg

RCO024_1475730400.jpg

RCO016_1466080390.jpg

Astonishing Member

I prefer to think of Phoenix and Jean as different characters. At best, Phoenix took the psychological properties of Jean-was imprinted on by Jean.

I see the Phoenix as something like a Symbiote who is as strong as Galactus

BANNED

Ultimately it depends on which retcon we're on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Yeah, basically. I doubt even Marvel themselves could adequately answer this question right now.

BANNED

I don't think so. Dark Phoenix is something that happens when you have Jean + The Phoenix Force, it's not just Jean's darker side suddenly coming to life.

This, however, is something important to consider.

Well, i say no, because is still Jean after all, she acepted all what the she did in that moment, when she lose the control. And i really glad that she did that though, because quite patetic say that is her, when is good but when you do something bad is the fault of the phoenix... like cyclops he kill charles but some of his fans say that "it was the phoenix not him".

Edit: and don't forget that emma and mastermind have part of the fault too.
    Last edited by jorge17881; 12-10-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Quoted for truth! Very little is a constant with the Retcon Force. It manifests as a flaming bird, it's power is off the charts, it's tied to Jean Grey (or people who look like her), people with it don't act the same, and before it's over someone is either gonna die or return from the dead. All else seems negotiable.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CuteClops View Post
    The retcon in Fantastic Four # 286 was undone in AvX. Jean and the Phoenix were the same.

RCO022_1475730400.jpg

RCO024_1475730400.jpg

RCO016_1466080390.jpg
    And that from the guy who wrote that Xavier was married with Mystique...

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

To me, the story is only meaningful if it is about the real Jean Grey. The original story was that Jean became Phoenix and later Dark Phoenix.

Even with the retcon, a portion (in some telling, all but a spark, others just a spark) of Jean's memories/consciousness/soul was transferred/absorbed/borrowed/imbued/merged into the Phoenix. From the retcon perspective, the Jean Grey/Phoenix character was a new being resulting from a merger of elements (consciousness, power) from Jean Grey and the Force. In Inferno, what was borrowed from Jean was returned to her. It was never really true that the Force simply impersonated her. Marvel Girl, Phoenix, and Madelyne were more akin to Multiple Man and his Dupes in that they were all derived from the same source material and eventually recombines.

Last edited by PhoenixStudies; 12-10-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jorge17881 View Post
    Well, i say no, because is still Jean after all, she acepted all what the she did in that moment, when she lose the control. And i really glad that she did that though, because quite patetic say that is her, when is good but when you do something bad is the fault of the phoenix... like cyclops he kill charles but some of his fans say that "it was the phoenix not him".

As one of the Cyclops fans you've mentioned, I really only care about consistency. I wish Marvel cared about consistency as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jorge17881 View Post

And Xavier...

Fans often forget that Dark Phoenix's phoenix raptor was almost always Jean's pink psi-energy. It was as green Phoenix that she manifested the cosmic flame version of the phoenix raptor. Although even in the green costume, it was sometimes her pink psychic energy.

Pardon the back to back posts, but there is a limit to how many pics can be in a single post.

Xavier having put psychic blocks in Jean's childhood mind caused her to achieve her potential too quickly when she was on the shuttle. If her power levels had developed naturally, she would have been able to handle the rushes better. Of course, Mastermind and the Hellfire Club also manipulated and corrupted her mind, leading the the creation of Dark Phoenix.

The original explanation for the Phoenix was given in Uncanny 125 and it was just Jean's full potential as a psionic.