Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah! Where's my Maxima epic?
    I'd read it .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd read it .
    I'll let you know when I write it. Only way either of us will see it.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

I'll let you know when I write it. Only way either of us will see it.
    You never know ....

You never know ....
    Maybe PKJ has plans, but let's stop mentioning characters we enjoy in this thread before King gets them in his crosshairs.
    May we never forget:

You never know ....
    The DC Next Dawn (and its Marvel counterpart - Age of Marvels) are great places to come up with solicitations and deal with a shared universe of CBR posters who have story and series ideas. There is always room for more. Tell them I sent you as I will get points for it.

It's not an actual story, but it's something.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The DC Next Dawn (and its Marvel counterpart - Age of Marvels) are great places to come up with solicitations and deal with a shared universe of CBR posters who have story and series ideas. There is always room for more. Tell them I sent you as I will get points for it.

It's not an actual story, but it's something.
    I just write awful stories for myself.

Back on topic. What are the odds this silver bullet makes an impact on Adam and Alanna going forward?
    May we never forget:

I just write awful stories for myself.

Back on topic. What are the odds this silver bullet makes an impact on Adam and Alanna going forward?
    I don't think a lot. The Richard Bruning mini was ignored.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

King himself dismissed that any of this would be carried over to the DCU in his recent Word Balloon interview. He said it's Black Label, so fans can ignore it if they want.

So, I guess it's only a matter of time before Adam & Alanna reappear again with their daughter as if none of this happened. And it seems very doubtful that Mr. Terrific will be gaining an adopted daughter anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    King himself dismissed that any of this would be carried over to the DCU in his recent Word Balloon interview. He said it's Black Label, so fans can ignore it if they want.

So, I guess it's only a matter of time before Adam & Alanna reappear again with their daughter as if none of this happened. And it seems very doubtful that Mr. Terrific will be gaining an adopted daughter anytime soon.
    Which is true of all Black Label books which is why I find it baffling that so many are so upset over this. Black Label books are essentially What If? books. It doesn't mean a BL story can't graduate to continuity as Killing Joke and others have, but it does mean it's not in canon unless there's a really good, agreed-upon reason to make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Which is true of all Black Label books which is why I find it baffling that so many are so upset over this. Black Label books are essentially What If? books. It doesn't mean a BL story can't graduate to continuity as Killing Joke and others have, but it does mean it's not in canon unless there's a really good, agreed-upon reason to make it so.
    Spending $50 and nearly 18 months for the big reveal to be "psych! He was an ******* the whole time!" is a good reason to be frustrated.

Moreover, a character they're more invested in (Michael Holt) is portrayed very well so they may insert it into continuity for him at the expense of everyone else
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-20-2021 at 02:08 PM.
    May we never forget:

Spending $50 and nearly 18 months for the big reveal to be "psych! He was an ******* the whole time!" is a good reason to be frustrated.

Moreover, a character they're more invested in (Michael Holt) is portrayed very well so they may insert it into continuity for him at the expense of everyone else
    I feel you on the money. (I bought every freaking issue of the last Nightwing run waiting for it to get better.) I just don't agree with those that are freaked out about character assassination in an entirely different continuity. I also disagree that the series ended as it began. The only way that happened was that an accusation was made in the first issue and it proved out to be true. Everything else was new from issue to issue. But you don't have to like it. I'll never tell anyone what to like. I just find the idea of character assassination to be a strange one, especially in an alt-continuity book.

@Board replied generously to a long post I'd made earlier in this thread, essentially arguing that these are children's characters and so they shouldn't be morally compromised. I failed to respond to that so I'll do that here in brief, though I acknowledge that there's a lot of grey area between his feelings on the subject and my own. My position in essence is that if these characters were still being written for children I wouldn't be reading them and I wonder how many posters here would be either. For better or worse, mainstream comics just aren't being made with children in mind and there's a new line entirely dedicated to young readers. It might not be the best thing for the industry that comics (all mainstream comics) are aimed at a more mature audience now, but it's certainly the best thing for me. Since I'm no longer a child, it's the only thing that allows me to continue enjoying them.

Also, regarding moral relativism I have a one word response. Batman.

I feel you on the money. (I bought every freaking issue of the last Nightwing run waiting for it to get better.) I just don't agree with those that are freaked out about character assassination in an entirely different continuity. I also disagree that the series ended as it began. The only way that happened was that an accusation was made in the first issue and it proved out to be true. Everything else was new from issue to issue. But you don't have to like it. I'll never tell anyone what to like. I just find the idea of character assassination to be a strange one, especially in an alt-continuity book.

@Board replied generously to a long post I'd made earlier in this thread, essentially arguing that these are children's characters and so they shouldn't be morally compromised. I failed to respond to that so I'll do that here in brief, though I acknowledge that there's a lot of grey area between his feelings on the subject and my own. My position in essence is that if these characters were still being written for children I wouldn't be reading them and I wonder how many posters here would be either. For better or worse, mainstream comics just aren't being made with children in mind and there's a new line entirely dedicated to young readers. It might not be the best thing for the industry that comics (all mainstream comics) are aimed at a more mature audience now, but it's certainly the best thing for me. Since I'm no longer a child, it's the only thing that allows me to continue enjoying them.

I don't really think not being written for children is a reason for writing something that seems out-of-character or missing the point of the character you're writing about.

Like I read adult Flash comics but I expect The Flash to still act like a hero and in-character.

Spectacular Member

I’m sorry but who was a major Adam Strange fan before this series? He’s been confined to obscurity for decades and now everyone’s upset over his treatment? If this series hadn’t happened we wouldn’t hear a word from Adam Strange fans here because he would have continued to be absent from the line and I’m sorry but I don’t believe he had serious fans since the 60s, and even then a handful at best.

I think this is more about the outsized King hate on this board than about the series or the character. I’m not going to tell anyone what to love or hate but for those that hate King’s writing so much I’d suggest they consider appreciating the fact that lately he’s mostly writing about obscure characters that never had a real following before. I can’t wait for the outrage over him ‘ruining’ The Human Target, lol.

This was a story about war. Soldiers always make terrible, morally compromised decisions during wars, many of those receive medals for it, and none of them return unchanged.

But mainly I just think it’s silly for readers that didn’t much care for the character before to be upset over his characterization. This series was literally the first time he’s been more than a D-list, two-dimensional also-ran.
    I love Adam Strange. I was so excited when they announced this book. He's a very interesting character. I'm very disappointed in the series.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Am I @Board?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Am I @Board?
    Yeah, maybe I wasn't paraphrasing you properly. I know you wrote a bit at least about doing things to children's characters and that struck me a little odd. I remember thinking 'they're not children's characters to me. I mean, they used to be but not anymore.'

Oh dang, and I misspelled Bored too. I hadn't realized that. Maybe I'm wrong about everything.

Sincerely, I love your posts and I loved the one I probably mangled too.