Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
Putting aside any concerns about "Adam Strange would never act this way," think about it more abstractly.

This Strange Adventure storyline is very similar to the Manchurian Candidate (a very good book and movie). In both, a man comes home from war, is lauded for his actions during the war, but there are some tiny questions as to what actually occurred during the war. Both stories focus on an investigator trying to unravel the conspiracy, all the while the conspiracy is hitting close to home.

From that standpoint, Tom King has delivered a compelling story, with interesting character interactions, that happens to be set in the DC universe and features Adam Strange.

I will admit that I don't have any skin in the Adam Strange game, so I don't have any issue with this Black Label (non-canon) series going 'there' with Adam.
But, I am really surprised by how many Adam Strange fans there suddenly are. At least some of that is probably a strawman to hate on Tom King.

People's concern that even non-canon stories can influence future canon portrayals is certainly valid, but I think are overblown. Superman going evil is a regular non-canon story device, where there is never any 'concern' expressed of what that means for future canon Superman appearances. Granted it is not a perfect comparison, as A-list characters have more canon "good" appearances than non-canon "evil" appearances, compared to D-list characters, to wash away the non-canon stories. Thus, the fewer appearances by D-list characters results in an increased power for any one appearance to define them.

But, at the end of the day, it was a well written story, featuring a character that no one cared about (until Tom King featured him), that is officially non-canon.

Unrelated question lingering from the prior issues: The gap in the defense in Phoenix - Is the implication that the defense would have worked perfectly if the opponent wasn't told about the plan?
Every character has their fans. It's not like Booster Gold had no fans when Tom King wrote "The Gift." Just because they're not an a-lister or b-lister doesn't mean nobody cares about them.

Tp be honest I think trying to tell a specific kind of story with DC characters that involves ignoring their prior characterization or what they stand for is super problematic.