Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    First time I hear about it to be honest.
    I'm not sure how accurate this is, but the three series all concern men coming back after fighting and differing reactions and results. There was also the "next series" blurb at the end of Mister Miracle. I have Babylon somewhere in a box and I MUST get and reread the three series after seeing SA 12 (which I haven't read or bought yet).
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I recall Sheriff of Babylon, Mister Miracle, and Strange Adventures as being a kind of trilogy planned by King. Is that still a thing?
    You might be thinking of Sheriff of Babylon, Omega Men, and The Vision. King said those were part of a thematic trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    You might be thinking of Sheriff of Babylon, Omega Men, and The Vision. King said those were part of a thematic trilogy.
    This is very much a possibility.

As a Mr. Terrific fan I loved this series. I want King to do a Terrific mini now, he’s such a good fit for Holt. For Adam Strange fans though… lmao. This is HiC-tier for Adam in terms of where it leaves him. Very curious about what this book’s long term impact is going to be.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    As a Mr. Terrific fan I loved this series. I want King to do a Terrific mini now, he’s such a good fit for Holt. For Adam Strange fans though… lmao. This is HiC-tier for Adam in terms of where it leaves him. Very curious about what this book’s long term impact is going to be.
    Just begs the question why this wasn't about Mr. Terrific solving a case and not turning Adam Strange into...well, what he ended up in this book.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just begs the question why this wasn't about Mr. Terrific solving a case and not turning Adam Strange into...well, what he ended up in this book.
    Well King says when he pitches stuff he doesn't use specific characters - he comes up with a plot, editorial suggests characters and he goes off to script...so someone in editorial hates Adam Strange or something.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Well King says when he pitches stuff he doesn't use specific characters - he comes up with a plot, editorial suggests characters and he goes off to script...so someone in editorial hates Adam Strange or something.
    Do you have a link to this anywhere? This sounds more like his description of Heroes in Crisis where editorial gave him a list of characters he could use since it was set up as a crossover event. I don’t think I’ve ever read that he does that with his other books, and I’m a little dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    When this was announced Terrifics book was still going, maybe they felt that it would cause some confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m sorry but who was a major Adam Strange fan before this series? He’s been confined to obscurity for decades and now everyone’s upset over his treatment? If this series hadn’t happened we wouldn’t hear a word from Adam Strange fans here because he would have continued to be absent from the line and I’m sorry but I don’t believe he had serious fans since the 60s, and even then a handful at best.

I think this is more about the outsized King hate on this board than about the series or the character. I’m not going to tell anyone what to love or hate but for those that hate King’s writing so much I’d suggest they consider appreciating the fact that lately he’s mostly writing about obscure characters that never had a real following before. I can’t wait for the outrage over him ‘ruining’ The Human Target, lol.

This was a story about war. Soldiers always make terrible, morally compromised decisions during wars, many of those receive medals for it, and none of them return unchanged.

But mainly I just think it’s silly for readers that didn’t much care for the character before to be upset over his characterization. This series was literally the first time he’s been more than a D-list, two-dimensional also-ran.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I’m sorry but who was a major Adam Strange fan before this series? He’s been confined to obscurity for decades and now everyone’s upset over his treatment? If this series hadn’t happened we wouldn’t hear a word from Adam Strange fans here because he would have continued to be absent from the line and I’m sorry but I don’t believe he had serious fans since the 60s, and even then a handful at best.

I think this is more about the outsized King hate on this board than about the series or the character. I’m not going to tell anyone what to love or hate but for those that hate King’s writing so much I’d suggest they consider appreciating the fact that lately he’s mostly writing about obscure characters that never had a real following before. I can’t wait for the outrage over him ‘ruining’ The Human Target, lol.

This was a story about war. Soldiers always make terrible, morally compromised decisions during wars, many of those receive medals for it, and none of them return unchanged.

But mainly I just think it’s silly for readers that didn’t much care for the character before to be upset over his characterization. This series was literally the first time he’s been more than a D-list, two-dimensional also-ran.
    I wouldn't call myself a major Adam Strange fan, but I like him. Like, other than putting him in the spotlight I just can't see how this story did him any favors or was true to the character beyond King using an established DC IP to deliver a story that I assume was heavily informed by his own experience as a spy.

I remember when Adam seemed to be getting a resurgence circa-New 52 with being in that Justice League United book and then the Death of Hawkman mini. Remember when Alanna was dark-skinned ?

This seems very odd to me. A story where the characters are introduced and then grow within the story is one thing. But a story idea proposed without specific characters in a medium which depends on recurring characters and (hopefully) some consistent characterization sounds like something where character choice would be a fairly early and thoughtfully considered point. It's one thing if King was knocking back a few with a buddy and asking for advice on what character checks off certain boxes to make the story relevant to them, but this sounds wrong. Now, IF King offered a story idea and wondered who was available to use, that's different, but gearing details and actions to the character is important.

Or King just wanted to have people go "WTF?" and at least talk about his series.

Heroes in Crisis is the only one I know of where King had a plot and asked for characters. Otherwise it’s the other way around, he’s offered a character and makes up a plot for them.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I don't even like King, but it's pretty disingenuous to suggest what happened on Heroes in Crisis applies to all his work.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Someone on /r/comicbooks spotted people wearing black canary and wildcat shirts in this issue, which is leading to speculation those characters may be part of Tom King's next DC limited series with Mitch since he also teased a adam strange book in the last issue of mister miracle.

Tom King on JSA maybe?