Extraordinary Member

Default Batman '89 #3 Preview

Batman '89 #3 Preview
    Writer: Sam Hamm
    Artist: Joe Quinones

Mighty Member

Oh, now this sequence is downright cruel. Also, neat Superman easter egg.

Mighty Member

Thoughts on this issue:

spoilers:
    I continue to really like this version of Harvey Dent, especially as we're getting into his transformation. I really like that ""Big Man" Harvey will be his corrupting force and that they're exploring some quantum physics and alternate realities with how Harvey uses the coin. It's a cool angle for this version of Two-Face and it made his final scene in this issue chilling.

I don't think Batman and Catwoman's subplot is working for me. Without Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfeiffer's performances, their relationship is not as interesting. Plus, why does Bruce have to be reminded that Gotham has wealthy businessmen as crooks after the whole ordeal with Max Shreck? I think the comic should've focused on Two-Face and Robin, personally.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by GamerSlyRatchet; 10-14-2021 at 09:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member

The attempts to add realism and deal with real-world issues make this feel like it has nothing to do with the Burton films. Those were fantasies where good and evil were simple, a short, skinny man could kick people through walls and intimidate people with a stare, and an awkward secretary could become an Olympic gymnast by virtue of going crazy. On top of that, Batman talks so much more here and the dialogue is very different than the dialogue of the movies. It doesn't feel like the same world at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Thoughts on this issue:

spoilers:
    I continue to really like this version of Harvey Dent, especially as we're getting into his transformation. I really like that ""Big Man" Harvey will be his corrupting force and that they're exploring some quantum physics and alternate realities with how Harvey uses the coin. It's a cool angle for this version of Two-Face and it made his final scene in this issue chilling.

I don't think Batman and Catwoman's subplot is working for me. Without Michael Keaton and Michelle Pfeiffer's performances, their relationship is not as interesting. Plus, why does Bruce have to be reminded that Gotham has wealthy businessmen as crooks after the whole ordeal with Max Shreck? I think the comic should've focused on Two-Face and Robin, personally.
    end of spoilers
    Again, is it just me, does the scarred side of Harvey Dent look strangely like Rick Sanchez? Which is kind of fitting given the spoilers, I guess.

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    Another great issue, though this one seemed light on actual plot progression, beyond Harvey's psychological transformation into Two Face. I think this has to be one of the best, if not the best explanation for Two Face's psyche. They even managed to name-drop a crazy concept like the Multiverse in a fairly grounded explanation of how a traumatised and disturbed individual starts to rely on a coin-flip to accept or reject his reality in comparision to his dream life.

I never could have believed a line about a ''team of cosmetic surgeons in Switzerland'' could ever be used as a running gag

The issue was actually littered (pun intended!) with funny moments like this. Alfred and the cat being another memorable one!
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The attempts to add realism and deal with real-world issues make this feel like it has nothing to do with the Burton films. Those were fantasies where good and evil were simple, a short, skinny man could kick people through walls and intimidate people with a stare, and an awkward secretary could become an Olympic gymnast by virtue of going crazy. On top of that, Batman talks so much more here and the dialogue is very different than the dialogue of the movies. It doesn't feel like the same world at all.
    I kinda get what you mean. While this series does feel like a 2021 product, I can easily imagine it being set in 1992 as well (sadly, racial tensions arising from police brutality, vigilantism and gang activity have been around a long time). And I still feel the story and its tone is authentic to the Burtonverse. The veil of cynicism that hangs over Gotham, the idea that it's become a playground for 'freaks' to duke it out, Selina being pretty blase about talking to her shrink (implied to be Harleen Quinzel), Bruce as an eccentric reclusive billionaire who shuns the spotlight...it's difficult to put it in words, but all of it feels like it fits into the broad artistic and tonal context of the two Burton films.