Fantastic Member

Default Heroes of the Lance vs Vox Machina/The Mighty Nein

The iconic D&D adventuring party of the 80s vs the iconic D&D adventuring parties of the 2010s.

1. Heroes of the Lance vs Vox Machina
    2. Heroes of the Lance vs Mighty Nein

A. Standard Khazan Arena fight
    B. Dungeon Delve - each party has to clear out an identical dungeon. Points for fastest time, fewest casualties and most treasure acquired.
    C. They Just Sit and Talk

Well, for one thing, The Mighty Nein never got anywhere near Level 20. I think they capped out around Level 13 or so…?

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Well, for one thing, The Mighty Nein never got anywhere near Level 20. I think they capped out around Level 13 or so…?
    15 I believe.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    15 I believe.
    Yup, they "only" got to 15.

Vox Machina on the other hand are level 20.

And considering Scanlan knew Wish, that makes a big difference.

Although Caduceus’ track record of success with Divine Intervention is freakishly good.

Extraordinary Member

And considering Scanlan knew Wish, that makes a big difference.

Although Caduceus’ track record of success with Divine Intervention is freakishly good.
    I do believe that Scanlan lost the ability to cast Wish after using it to summon Vax to briefly appear and Percy and Vex's wedding, as per Matt's homebrew rules for Wish.

I'd have to double check it.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Yes, Scanlan cannot use Wish anymore.

But dude has more clutch Counterspells than anyone I’ve ever seen and such a high DC to clear against his spells (hand cone of clarity) he’s still an absolute beast.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

I honestly don’t know enough about the Heroes of the Lance to comment on them.

Mighty Member

The Heroes of the Lance include Raistlin Majere, who became a god. I don't know enough about the others to make any comment about the outcome of the rumble, but they need to have someone that can challenge a god (and not just any god, but a god of magic that can stand toe to toe against the head of the evil pantheon). The rest of them are pretty irrelevant given that, but they have a solid fighter in Caramon Majere, a decent ranger in Tanis Half-Elven, a Knight of Solomnia (yeah campaign specific classes) in Sturm Brightblade, another competent fighter in Flint Fireforge, a kender rogue, I suppose, in Tasslehof Burrfoot, a priestess with an artifact in Goldmoon, with another ranger in Riverwind (though perhaps more fitting as a barbarian or the savage specialty class), Laurana, who is more of a general and NPC than a charachter, but I guess you would call her another fighter, and if you want to stretch Tika Waylan who is a fighter/thief.
    Last edited by StupidMoniker; 10-08-2021 at 09:41 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by StupidMoniker View Post
    The Heroes of the Lance include Raistlin Majere, who became a god. I don't know enough about the others to make any comment about the outcome of the rumble, but they need to have someone that can challenge a god (and not just any god, but a god of magic that can stand toe to toe against the head of the evil pantheon). The rest of them are pretty irrelevant given that, but they have a solid fighter in Caramon Majere, a decent ranger in Tanis Half-Elven, a Knight of Solomnia (yeah campaign specific classes) in Sturm Brightblade, another competent fighter in Flint Fireforge, a kender rogue, I suppose, in Tasslehof Burrfoot, a priestess with an artifact in Goldmoon, with another ranger in Riverwind (though perhaps more fitting as a barbarian or the savage specialty class), Laurana, who is more of a general and NPC than a charachter, but I guess you would call her another fighter, and if you want to stretch Tika Waylan who is a fighter/thief.
    I should have specified, no Raistlin-as-a-god. In my head, I was thinking end of Chronicles/beginning of Legends (with the exception of characters who died, obviously)

Hmm, i would give it to the Vox Machina and Mighty Nein. Except for Raistlin i dont think any of the Heroes of the Lance went level 20, and he expliclty wasnt level 20 at the end of Chronicles because he had to manipulate Tanis into killing Lord Ariakas for him, the leader of the Armies if Takhisis. Ariakas was a level 20 mage AND a level 20 fighter iirc because he was Takhisis's DMPC. So yeah, not strong enough at that point imo.

What might be more fun is pitting the Nein and Vox teams against Raistlin at the height of his powers, at the end of Legends, but before he challenged Takhisis. IIRC, his magic still worked like regular wizard magic but he had all of Fistandantilus powers and few more besides. He would make a good challenge for a high level party, considering he beat the snot out of a whole layer of the Abyss on his own.

I just realised in the Standsrd Khazan match, you beat everyone with Mass Polymorph. Turn them all into a turtle, flip them onto their shells, count to ten. Boom.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I just realised in the Standsrd Khazan match, you beat everyone with Mass Polymorph. Turn them all into a turtle, flip them onto their shells, count to ten. Boom.
    Nice.

*Limit Dance*
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Considered a thread pitting the Heroes of the Lance against their parodies from Villains By Necessity. But those heroes were sadly lacking in feats.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate