All-New Member

Default Critique my MCU order

This is the absolute best way to watch the Marvel Cinematic Universe

I’ve only watched it in this order the one time but it was fantastic.

Phase 1

Captain America

Iron Man 1

Iron Man 2

The Incredible Hulk

Thor

The Avengers

We start with Phase 1, the OG crew. Captain America is The First Avenger and so we start there. I prefer to keep Iron Man 1 and 2 together instead of breaking them up for Hulk. And we end with Thor and Avengers. Starting with Cap also adds way more depth to that shield cameo in Iron Man 2 and it feels more like progress.

Phase 2

Thor 2

Iron Man 3

Captain America 2

The Avengers 2

OG Crew Round 2. We start with Thor 2 because the only way for me to maintain interest in that movie is for it to continue momentum from Thor and Avengers and act as a sort of Thor/Loki trilogy. We don’t bring in Guardians yet because we’re keeping it light and simple.

Phase 3

Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Ant Man

Captain Marvel

This is the phase that opens the MCU to deeper science fiction and brand new faces. The last two phases we ended on Avengers movies so this phase will end on “The Avenger” movie. This particular set of films also shows us a few flashbacks to the past of the MCU, particularly Captain Marvel.

Phase 4

Captain America 3

Black Widow

Black Panther

Spider Man

Ant Man 2

This phase is all about Civil War and it’s repercussions. Placing Ant Man 2 here is questionable. However, Ant Man 2 is an obvious epilogue to Civil War and as such should be placed with the other epilogues. It may coincide with Infinity War on the timeline but thematically it belongs here. And I prefer to keep Ragnarok as the direct lead in to Infinity War.

Phase 5

Doctor Strange

Thor 3

Avengers 3

Avengers 4

Spider Man 2

We introduce ourselves to Doctor Strange who will cameo in Thor 3. Thor 3 leads directly into Infinity War and Spider Man 2 is a fitting epilogue to Endgame.

Shang-Chi and the Disney Plus shows would occur next IMO.

What do you think?

The best way to watch it is in order of release, just like Star Wars. No need to try and reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

i think Black Widow I'd also watch before Infinity War. When I watched it for first time it felt like I was watching a lost episode from a tv show. And yeah i might watch Captain Marvel before the first Guardians