Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Default Is this a known thing among comic fans?

Hello,
    I'm new into comic collection.
    I don't know if this is usual in the comic industry about prices going up within a few months time after their release, but recently I've been noticing a sharp increase in price (of collected editions, that initially, at the time of their release) costed much less.

I mean the Omnibuses/TPBs/Collected Editions that released 6-8 months ago on Amazon, whose prices initially ranged from 20 to 50 dollars, now after 6-8 months their price actually ranges from 80 dollars to 135 dollars. Some even go as high as 200 dollars or more.
    ... And some of these brand new collected editions even become unavailable on Amazon, only to become available later (as used copies) from sellers with bad ratings.

Is this a known thing among comic fans? Does the price goes up all of a sudden just a few months after their release?

Yes.

Supply and demand. True for any collectible. Conversely, if there are too many printed(compared to demand), the price may go down, although this is much less common.

it always been a thing, depending on the demand (some books stayed in stock for years and years, other went OOP within a couple of months), but since the pandemic lots of books went out of print way faster than before and publishers were playing catch up with getting more stock.
    If you are really keen on getting specific editions I'd recommend preordering them (just make sure to be aware of Final cut off dates).

All-New Member

Thanks guys.

This is mostly seen on Omnibuses, rather than TPBs etc., I believe

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    This is mostly seen on Omnibuses, rather than TPBs etc., I believe
    Epics go out of print fast (and if I'm not mistaken they get reprints less frequently because of the slimmer profit margin) and some other chunkier trades (complete collections) do as well, depending on hype.