Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
I hear you - I'm not saying it would be easy, just that it would be far from impossible given the incalculable amount of resources that would be thrown at the problem. This isn't NASA spending years negotiating the very lowest bidder for a rocket, and building it for a few million. This is "We're going to spend hundreds of billions or trillions to make dozens or hundreds of rockets with the range required and deliver existing warheads and filler" (to provide mass to shift the trajectory).
But you gotta build all of those hundreds of rockets (including working them out almost from scratch, because we've never lofted stuff this big this far with this accuracy). And they need to be outfitted with precisely calibrated guidance packages that can maintain their calibration over likely a month of travel time or whatever. This isn't even considering this is going to be done without testing, because if you take even a short amount of time to pressure-test all of this stuff, too late, SCHTONK. Etc.

We have 1.3 years.

I feel it's kind of a 'maybe we win the lottery' situation.

Mileage, it may vary. ^_^