Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I like it when Superman teams up with mystical types, like Dr. Fate, the Spectre, Phantom Stranger and Etrigan. I'd put Fate at the top of the list.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Same. Clark and Hal have such an interesting dynamic. Hal is generally so cocksure, but around Superman, he's so different. He absolutely wants to be Superman's best friend and Superman's not really as enthusiastic. It's not that Superman dislikes Hal, he no doubt has a lot of affection for him, but rather that Hal's so much more into their friendship than Clark is. It can be played for laughs, certainly, but I think there's something truthful there as well that a lot of people can relate to. We've all had some friend who's a lot more invested in our friendship than we are, or vice versa.

Gaiman did such a wonderful job of exploring the Clark/Hal friendship too, during a particularly low point in Hal's life. I always appreciated how Clark never lost faith in Hal during the whole Parallax period.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Nightwing is the correct answer. Dick is the nephew few never had.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Same. Clark and Hal have such an interesting dynamic. Hal is generally so cocksure, but around Superman, he's so different. He absolutely wants to be Superman's best friend and Superman's not really as enthusiastic. It's not that Superman dislikes Hal, he no doubt has a lot of affection for him, but rather that Hal's so much more into their friendship than Clark is. It can be played for laughs, certainly, but I think there's something truthful there as well that a lot of people can relate to. We've all had some friend who's a lot more invested in our friendship than we are, or vice versa.

Gaiman did such a wonderful job of exploring the Clark/Hal friendship too, during a particularly low point in Hal's life. I always appreciated how Clark never lost faith in Hal during the whole Parallax period.
    That’s an interesting way of putting it, but yeah I would agree. Of the core four GLs I think John is probably the most popular with the other Leaguers and with Clark. Hal is too close to Ollie who is probably the second most… controversial Leaguer after Guy Gardner.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s an interesting way of putting it, but yeah I would agree. Of the core four GLs I think John is probably the most popular with the other Leaguers and with Clark. Hal is too close to Ollie who is probably the second most… controversial Leaguer after Guy Gardner.
    The League strikes me as a group with a lot of cliques. Superman & Batman have their own thing, then they have another with Wonder Woman, whereas Barry is tight with Hal, who's close with Dinah & Ollie, who Barry doesn't get along with. Hawkwoman, Hawkman & Atom are another little clique.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Just for fun, a fantastic issue from a fantastic series.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I like it when Superman teams up with mystical types, like Dr. Fate, the Spectre, Phantom Stranger and Etrigan. I'd put Fate at the top of the list.
    Agreed, I like the Doc Fate team ups. Not that it was an all-time classic or anything, but the Bendis issue when Clark and Khalid Fate had their heart to heart was pretty cool.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I like to think Hal is actually the biggest "fan" of Superman of the League members.

Retired

The League strikes me as a group with a lot of cliques. Superman & Batman have their own thing, then they have another with Wonder Woman, whereas Barry is tight with Hal, who's close with Dinah & Ollie, who Barry doesn't get along with. Hawkwoman, Hawkman & Atom are another little clique.
    What about poor Aquaman--is everyone laughing behind his back as he hits the showers?

I like to think the heroes that were created by the same people get along with each other. Green Arrow and Aquaman get along because they were co-created by Mort Weisinger. Dinah and Barry get long because they were co-created by Bob Kanigher and Carmine Infantino. Barry gets along with Hal because John Broome was a co-creator of both. And Hal gets along with Ray because Gil Kane created both their looks. While Atom and Hawkman hang out because Gardner Fox was their daddy. Supes prefers the company of the Spectre, because Jerry Siegel co-created both. Batman would rather hang out with Alan Scott and Ted Grant, owing to Bill Finger having co-created all three.

Incredible Member

I want to say these two though they technically are never teamed up together. You rarely see heroes team up with black heroes, even steel rarely shows up.

I like to think Hal is actually the biggest "fan" of Superman of the League members.
    Absolutely. I think Hal is just so utterly enamoured with Clark, which is ironically why Clark isn't closer friends with him. With the notable exceptions of Ma & Pa, the people closest to Clark tend to be real ball busters. Even Jimmy treats both Clark and Superman as a real person, rather than an icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    What about poor Aquaman--is everyone laughing behind his back as he hits the showers?
    Meltzer had Arthur and J'Onn as a pair, which felt off to me at the time. I think both of those two are loners.

If I had to match either of those two, I'd say J'Onn is closest to Batman due to their time in the JLI and Aquaman is closest to Diana, simply because they're the only two who understand the burdens of being royalty.

My choice, as we are including teams:

"Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Gaiman did such a wonderful job of exploring the Clark/Hal friendship too, during a particularly low point in Hal's life.
    Agreed. Good to know anyone can rely on Clark for a shoulder to lean on...

I always appreciated how Clark never lost faith in Hal during the whole Parallax period.
    Agreed. Clark's proven to be a strong individual when it comes to these sorts of things...

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Just for fun, a fantastic issue from a fantastic series.
    Indeed. Truly a modern-day classic (IMHO):

Well, since its not limited to DC;

Although short, and not exactly a team up, Jackie Estacado (The Darkness) came to Metropolis to rid the city of its burgeoning organized crime. Power wise, yes Jackie would give the Man of Steel a run for his money (The Darkness is a primordial entity after all), but he did help Clark in his own, if brutal, way.