Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Favorite Hero To Team Up With Superman (Aside From Batman or Wonder Woman)

Who is your favorite hero, who isn't Batman, Wonder Woman, or anyone in the Superfamily, to be paired up with Superman?
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 10-09-2021 at 08:53 PM.

Probably Dick Grayson. Bruce is one of his best friends, but Clark actually has more in common with his son, who grew up before his eyes as well, so their dynamic usually just fun and sweet.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Definitely, my choice would be the SHAZAM!/Marvel Family (XD)

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

supermannightwing.jpg

this guy...

Outside of the Superfamily it’s this guy.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Same. Clark and Hal have such an interesting dynamic. Hal is generally so cocksure, but around Superman, he's so different. He absolutely wants to be Superman's best friend and Superman's not really as enthusiastic. It's not that Superman dislikes Hal, he no doubt has a lot of affection for him, but rather that Hal's so much more into their friendship than Clark is. It can be played for laughs, certainly, but I think there's something truthful there as well that a lot of people can relate to. We've all had some friend who's a lot more invested in our friendship than we are, or vice versa.

Gaiman did such a wonderful job of exploring the Clark/Hal friendship too, during a particularly low point in Hal's life. I always appreciated how Clark never lost faith in Hal during the whole Parallax period.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Same. Clark and Hal have such an interesting dynamic. Hal is generally so cocksure, but around Superman, he's so different. He absolutely wants to be Superman's best friend and Superman's not really as enthusiastic. It's not that Superman dislikes Hal, he no doubt has a lot of affection for him, but rather that Hal's so much more into their friendship than Clark is. It can be played for laughs, certainly, but I think there's something truthful there as well that a lot of people can relate to. We've all had some friend who's a lot more invested in our friendship than we are, or vice versa.

Gaiman did such a wonderful job of exploring the Clark/Hal friendship too, during a particularly low point in Hal's life. I always appreciated how Clark never lost faith in Hal during the whole Parallax period.
    That’s an interesting way of putting it, but yeah I would agree. Of the core four GLs I think John is probably the most popular with the other Leaguers and with Clark. Hal is too close to Ollie who is probably the second most… controversial Leaguer after Guy Gardner.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That’s an interesting way of putting it, but yeah I would agree. Of the core four GLs I think John is probably the most popular with the other Leaguers and with Clark. Hal is too close to Ollie who is probably the second most… controversial Leaguer after Guy Gardner.
    The League strikes me as a group with a lot of cliques. Superman & Batman have their own thing, then they have another with Wonder Woman, whereas Barry is tight with Hal, who's close with Dinah & Ollie, who Barry doesn't get along with. Hawkwoman, Hawkman & Atom are another little clique.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Just for fun, a fantastic issue from a fantastic series.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Retired

The League strikes me as a group with a lot of cliques. Superman & Batman have their own thing, then they have another with Wonder Woman, whereas Barry is tight with Hal, who's close with Dinah & Ollie, who Barry doesn't get along with. Hawkwoman, Hawkman & Atom are another little clique.
    What about poor Aquaman--is everyone laughing behind his back as he hits the showers?

I like to think the heroes that were created by the same people get along with each other. Green Arrow and Aquaman get along because they were co-created by Mort Weisinger. Dinah and Barry get long because they were co-created by Bob Kanigher and Carmine Infantino. Barry gets along with Hal because John Broome was a co-creator of both. And Hal gets along with Ray because Gil Kane created both their looks. While Atom and Hawkman hang out because Gardner Fox was their daddy. Supes prefers the company of the Spectre, because Jerry Siegel co-created both. Batman would rather hang out with Alan Scott and Ted Grant, owing to Bill Finger having co-created all three.

I like to think Hal is actually the biggest "fan" of Superman of the League members.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I like to think Hal is actually the biggest "fan" of Superman of the League members.
    Absolutely. I think Hal is just so utterly enamoured with Clark, which is ironically why Clark isn't closer friends with him. With the notable exceptions of Ma & Pa, the people closest to Clark tend to be real ball busters. Even Jimmy treats both Clark and Superman as a real person, rather than an icon.

Absolutely. I think Hal is just so utterly enamoured with Clark, which is ironically why Clark isn't closer friends with him. With the notable exceptions of Ma & Pa, the people closest to Clark tend to be real ball busters. Even Jimmy treats both Clark and Superman as a real person, rather than an icon.
    Yeah, I think it makes an interesting contrast to Johns' (initial at least) characterization of Hal and Bruce's dynamic where Hal doesn't buy into "I am the the night!" gimmick.

I always see it as the opposite. Hal treats Superman like an equal. Without all the pomp and posturing that a lot of people give the most powerful bastion of Hope and Justice the world knows. Most see him as royalty, others see him as a potential threat... But Hal just sees him as 'one of the guys'. Anything from playing pranks to watching a game with him is just fine with him...

Because when Push comes to shove, There isn't anything that Hal is really 'afraid of'. He knows in his heart that he could stop Superman if he had too so he's not as awestruck as most people are. They're all kind of in awe that today THEY get to team up with SUPERMAN!!! And Hal's more like Why shouldn't they team up? He's the Green Lantern of Earth and the whole Space Sector... He's saved as many worlds and civilizations as Kal does

And honestly it's one of my favorite team ups.