Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Definitely Dick Grayson:

Also his team up with mystic characters like Dr Fate, Zatanna and the Phantom Stranger.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Definitely Dick Grayson:

Oooo, what issue is this? I'd love to read it. Dick Grayson is definitely my #2 in terms of favorite Superman team-ups next to Hal Jordan.

Superman and Swamp Thing easy

Supergirl and Green Lantern

There was a great Superman/Alan Scott team up in (I think) one of the Brave and the Bold issues. I think it was in JMS run but I can't find scans or issue numbers of it. Does anyone else know? It was pre-Nu52 with Scott asking Superman who his favorite JSA member was and Supes replies that it was Starman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Oooo, what issue is this? I'd love to read it. Dick Grayson is definitely my #2 in terms of favorite Superman team-ups next to Hal Jordan.
    Legends of the DC Universe #6.

Although its about impossible to happen, outside of fanfics, Future Trunks (Super version, being closer in age and experience) and Supes interacting would be interesting. Both are superheroes of their worlds, but whereas Superman tries to always avoid casualties is possible (among the villains, I mean), Future Trunks, while not blinded to, say the differences between past and future 17 and 18, never hesitated in wiping them out in his timeline (regular timeline, while certainly no fan, saw they weren't killers). Whereas with Supes, when faced with foes with similar goals (Zod and what not), killing is the very last method, and even then, reluctantly (like in Man of Steel, I grudgingly admit).

BANNED

Absolutely. I think Hal is just so utterly enamoured with Clark, which is ironically why Clark isn't closer friends with him. With the notable exceptions of Ma & Pa, the people closest to Clark tend to be real ball busters. Even Jimmy treats both Clark and Superman as a real person, rather than an icon.
    Yeah, I think it makes an interesting contrast to Johns' (initial at least) characterization of Hal and Bruce's dynamic where Hal doesn't buy into "I am the the night!" gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, I think it makes an interesting contrast to Johns' (initial at least) characterization of Hal and Bruce's dynamic where Hal doesn't buy into "I am the the night!" gimmick.
    Yup. Hal's a little too in love with the idea of Superman and completely rejects the idea of Batman.

Absolutely. I think Hal is just so utterly enamoured with Clark, which is ironically why Clark isn't closer friends with him. With the notable exceptions of Ma & Pa, the people closest to Clark tend to be real ball busters. Even Jimmy treats both Clark and Superman as a real person, rather than an icon.
    I always see it as the opposite. Hal treats Superman like an equal. Without all the pomp and posturing that a lot of people give the most powerful bastion of Hope and Justice the world knows. Most see him as royalty, others see him as a potential threat... But Hal just sees him as 'one of the guys'. Anything from playing pranks to watching a game with him is just fine with him...

Because when Push comes to shove, There isn't anything that Hal is really 'afraid of'. He knows in his heart that he could stop Superman if he had too so he's not as awestruck as most people are. They're all kind of in awe that today THEY get to team up with SUPERMAN!!! And Hal's more like Why shouldn't they team up? He's the Green Lantern of Earth and the whole Space Sector... He's saved as many worlds and civilizations as Kal does

And honestly it's one of my favorite team ups.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I always see it as the opposite. Hal treats Superman like an equal. Without all the pomp and posturing that a lot of people give the most powerful bastion of Hope and Justice the world knows. Most see him as royalty, others see him as a potential threat... But Hal just sees him as 'one of the guys'. Anything from playing pranks to watching a game with him is just fine with him...

Because when Push comes to shove, There isn't anything that Hal is really 'afraid of'. He knows in his heart that he could stop Superman if he had too so he's not as awestruck as most people are. They're all kind of in awe that today THEY get to team up with SUPERMAN!!! And Hal's more like Why shouldn't they team up? He's the Green Lantern of Earth and the whole Space Sector... He's saved as many worlds and civilizations as Kal does

And honestly it's one of my favorite team ups.
    I don't view Hal as being afraid of Superman at all, but rather too much in awe of him.

How do explain Clark's slight standoffishness with Hal? Clark doesn't strike me as someone who'd be put off by someone treating him as an equal.

I don't view Hal as being afraid of Superman at all, but rather too much in awe of him.

How do explain Clark's slight standoffishness with Hal? Clark doesn't strike me as someone who'd be put off by someone treating him as an equal.
    I haven't seen the standoffish issues. When I think of their teamups it's usually the old Action Comics Weekly, DC comics presents, and even pre (and a little post) Parrallax encounters. Superman never seemed to awkward or off during those encounters. But when Hal was in trouble, he'd program his ring to seek out Superman.

Hal just always seems 'comfortable' with everyone. Except Guy. And sometimes Batman. But the rest? Yeah, their equals and colleagues. He's as 'all powerful' a hero as they come. He's worked for the most ancient beings in the universe and read the book of Oa... Some of his best friends and colleagues are alien life forms... so yeah, the Kryptonian is just 'one of the guys'.

If anything, THAT may put Clark off a bit. Everyone he meets puts him on a pedestal, even Lois and Jimmy. He's always got such an image to maintain as Earth's #1 protector, and here's Hal who's fully capable and tapping him on the shoulder and saying "Hey Look, Asteroid heading right towards Earth... I'll get this one, you can have the next one." And fully back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    If anything, THAT may put Clark off a bit. Everyone he meets puts him on a pedestal, even Lois and Jimmy. He's always got such an image to maintain as Earth's #1 protector, and here's Hal who's fully capable and tapping him on the shoulder and saying "Hey Look, Asteroid heading right towards Earth... I'll get this one, you can have the next one." And fully back it up.
    Like I said, I don't think Clark is the kind of guy who'd be put off by someonenot putting him on a pedestal. The people closest to him don't. Jimmy just treats him as his pal. Lois is an absolute ball-buster with him. Same deal with Batman.

Yet those are the people closest to him.

Barry & Hal love Superman, yet neither of them are really in Clark's inner-circle. And I think that's because they can't help but put Superman on that pedestal, which keeps them at a distance.

This isn't to say that Superman isn't their buddy, but they aren't as tight with Superman the way he is with Batman or Wonder Woman.

I don't think anyone likes Ollie but Dinah and Hal though.

Like I said, I don't think Clark is the kind of guy who'd be put off by someonenot putting him on a pedestal. The people closest to him don't. Jimmy just treats him as his pal. Lois is an absolute ball-buster with him. Same deal with Batman.

Yet those are the people closest to him.
    They may be pals and she may 'bust balls'... but they also have unwavering faith that he's the greatest in the world. "Superman will Save us.... because y'know... He's SUPERMAN! It's what he does!" They may see him as a guy with faults like forgeting a birthday or being late for dinner or something... but they never show any doubt that at the end of the day maybe he WON'T save the world. He'll be too slow, He won't be strong enough. Even when he died they still couldn't believe that he didn't prevail.

Even those closest to him put him on that pedestal.

I think Clark is the type of guy who WANTS people to see him as just a normal guy from Kansas... but when it happens, he's not really sure how to react. It's just so unusual for him that he doesn't know what to do.

At his Heart Clark is constantly putting on an act for people. So many different masks. Superman is the pillar of Virtue and the assigned Leader of all of Earth's heroes... Clark is the mild mannered 'he can't possibly be SUPERMAN!!!' type. Sometimes clutzy sometimes quiet... With the Kents he's 'The Son'... With Lois he's the ideal man of her dreams... With Kal-el he's the alien son of a dead world...

None of that would matter to Hal. He sees through all the masks and they don't matter to him.

Barry & Hal love Superman, yet neither of them are really in Clark's inner-circle. And I think that's because they can't help but put Superman on that pedestal, which keeps them at a distance.

This isn't to say that Superman isn't their buddy, but they aren't as tight with Superman the way he is with Batman or Wonder Woman.

I don't think anyone likes Ollie but Dinah and Hal though.
    I think the real reason that they're not in the inner circle... is that they're too similar. They're the two most powerful people on earth and frankly there isn't enough conflict in the universe to routinely challenge them together. Same with Barry and Superman. They both have Superspeed, so frankly who needs Flash. Batman and Superman have enough contrast to make the stories interesting... (even though they really SHOULDN'T be..)

Totally agree about Ollie though

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    On balance, I'd have to say Batgirl. There was a nice chemistry between Barbara Gordon and Clark Kent.
    Yeah, back in the day I enjoyed them together as well.