Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post beyond

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Don't know if Hickman is the best choice for Spider-man. He is More high concept And i'd rather keep Spider-man on the low.
    I think Hickman would do well with someone like Cap or Iron Man, something which can him say what he wants to say And do something special.

My guess is that after beyond, we'll get the road to 900, And That'll set up the story for #1000 (much like 600 to 700).

I'm guessing Cates Could get it. Someone mentioned that his Hulk will probably only last 12 issues, i think they gave him Hulk to not only pass the time for Spider-man, but also to progress either his Thanos or his Ultimate story that he has been teasing for years.
    So the Cates verse will all be connected in some way (good job i'm an early adopter of his comics).

Al Ewing would be a choice i'd love to see as well just because I know we'll get something akin to the 70's.
    Here is how I see it. An established writer Hickman, Cates. Zdarsky etc will only end up on Amazing IF and this is a big IF: Quesada and editorial agree to keep their paws off of their stories. We have already seen what happened to Spencer’s finale ( and I have been tougher on Spencer more then most). Which is why I do not see it. I see a newbie or a Slott like company person instead.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    (Yes, I know, Grant Morrison, but I think that's about it.)
    I saw him talk about how Spider-Man is probably the "toughest character he can imagine writing" and was disappointed he didn't elaborate further.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Was Grant Morrison’s X-Men run really that great? Still haven’t read it, and I heard subsequent writers (or editors) ruined his new character Xorn with some dumb retcons.
    Morrison's run starts out very well, the first 25 issues of that are good. But it goes off the rails in the final two arcs.

It's a great example of a classic comics run where the build-up and lead-up is way better than the ultimate payoff, and there's a reason I've used it as a go-to comparison for Spencer.

A lot of Morrison's ideas have stuck around -- Emma Frost becoming an X-Man and anti-heroine has stuck and it's not likely to ever go away. Characters that Morrison created -- Quentin Quire, The Stepford Cuckoos, Fantomex, Cassandra Nova -- are still part of the X-Universe. The Genosha Genocide is this big defining event in comics lore.

It's basically considered the second greatest comics run in X-Men after Claremont (depending on how Hickman sticks the landing though, it might be #3 soon) and was a landmark and defining run for many comics writers of that time and others.

So yeah, I recommend reading it. Morrison and JMS were the first 616 ongoing titles of their respective titles that I followed.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Yeah, I don't know what went on between Morrison And Quesada, but it appears to have been ugly.
    Same. You know Quesada did an interview with Donny Cates' Podcast around the time of Absolute Carnage and he talked about going in person to meet Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, and GM to get these British Invasion masters who developed Vertigo to work for Marvel. He traveled to Northampton to meet Moore and Moore politely hosted him but told him that he's done with the Big Two. And he talks about getting Morrison to work with Marvel as a point of pride.

He didn't mention this story at all. So I am guessing he feels regret and shame, or I guess he's sanding off the rough edges. Quesada talks a bit about how EICs before him were arrogant and so on, so I am assuming that that's a bit of projection on his part.

A lot that Morrison did was retconned almost an issue later (revealing a fake out villain, bring back a character) to the point that readng Morrison's run with the X-Men universe makes it feel like a mess.
    I think some of those ideas, making Magneto unusuable, were bad and unworkable and would never have flied. It was GM's Sins' Past.

Most of Morrison's stuff - Emma Frost as X-Man, his characters (Quentin Quire, Stepford Cuckoos, Fantomex, Cassandra Nova), events (Genosha Genocide) - are canon.

BANNED

Amazing stays 3 issues a month with top artists starring an engaged Peter and MJ

Sensational stars Ben and his role as a different type of Spider-man, maybe on a team or based in LA or London.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Morrison's run starts out very well, the first 25 issues of that are good. But it goes off the rails in the final two arcs.
    I really love the Morrison run -- I think it's as era-defining as anything can be, and as you said Rev, so much of it has become often-used continuity even though some other parts are disliked and were wiped away immediately.

But! I just gotta say: Here Comes Tomorrow (aka the final arc of the run) is AWESOME! I thought it was an absolutely brilliant way to end the run and just a heck of a lot of fun. I especially liked how diverse the X-Men of that timeline were -- human, Sentinel, mutant, telepathic sperm whale, etc!!!

-Pav, who absolutely loved Mermax...
    Last edited by Pav; 10-13-2021 at 06:08 PM.
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    I saw him talk about how Spider-Man is probably the "toughest character he can imagine writing" and was disappointed he didn't elaborate further.
    I think he's said something to the effect that Spider-Man isn't archetypal enough.

I feel like Peter's world revolves around the kind of things that some writers want to skip to get the larger than life action beats. But historically readers have been more interested in Peter's day to day dealings with his supporting cast than who he's fighting.

People pick up a Spidey book and they want to know what Betty Brant or Robbie Robertson are up to these days.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I think he's said something to the effect that Spider-Man isn't archetypal enough.

I feel like Peter's world revolves around the kind of things that some writers want to skip to get the larger than life action beats. But historically readers have been more interested in Peter's day to day dealings with his supporting cast than who he's fighting.

People pick up a Spidey book and they want to know what Betty Brant or Robbie Robertson are up to these days.
    All this, although it's not about Betty or Robert(although I would love if Betty was in this more, specially in Beyond helping him w/ MJ) it's about Peter and his world through his POV.That's why Spider-man works best w/ Peter and writers who can write a decent/good Peter.

Default We're nearing the Endgame...I think.

Bumping this since I'm pretty sure sometime in January we're gonna learn a bit about what the new direction after Beyond is gonna be, especially considering we're gonna be getting April Solicitations.

If I had to guess, what's gonna happen during the End of Beyond and Afterwards:

Peter vs Ben in the cover is bait ala ASM 81 with Miles and Ben, they aren't trying to kill each other, they're fighting to either stop each other from going through Door Z, or one of them has been hijacked/possessed by Beyond. Leaning towards Ben but it could be Peter considering they said that we won't expect who we're rooting for. Either way, neither Peter or Ben will die, Ben will leave and go off into the sunset with Janine (if she doesn't die...), and potentially become the Scarlet Spider again or stay as Spider-Man The...Second? Third?
    Do they even count Ben as Spider-Man II? I don't know anymore, there's too many Spider-People nowadays, lmao. Anyways, regardless of where he goes, Kaine probably still won't come back unfortunately because I don't think they know what the hell to do with him anymore, and it's a bit fair considering the line between Ben and Kaine has gotten muddied ever since they brought Ben back.

Tangent-aside: As for Peter? What I Hope: I hope they keep MJ as the sole love-interest from now (even if I kinda doubt it), I hope they keep Randy around as Peter's main friend since Harry is kinda, uh, dead. They don't have to move in with each other again but keep him around at least for a while. Have Peter finish grad school and get his Doctorate so we can move on from all the Superior baggage (Maybe show that Otto has a soul and he clears Peter's name so that he no longer looks like a fraud).
    Afterwards, Peter's obviously gonna need a job (we can't have jobless hobo-Spider-Man...yet ), and that's gonna be a bit tough. I was hoping he'd go back to the Bugle, but considering in Beyond Queen Goblin is gonna "decimate" the building...yeah uh, I don't think we're gonna be seeing that. At least, not yet. Which leaves the question of what job they're gonna give him. I honestly have no idea, maybe one of y'all can enlighten me.

Lastly, the thing I'm expecting the most: New suit, because at this point it's a right-of-passage for Spider-Man writers, along with clones and referencing OMD for some god forsaken reason. Ugh.

But yeah, that's all I got. You guys got any ideas?

Fantastic Member

hearing some big spider news to drop this week could be a just a teaser though on what the new direction is post beyond/ figure we get the new writer starting in april or there a better than good chance there still one more bridge arc after beyond before the new writer takes over. Im really leaning to i think hickman having a run with bachalo, gleason schiti and silva as the artist rotation. Hope they keep the 3 issues a month format as a comic store that always 3 weeks out of the month with 75-100 subs of guarennteed income every month which is great

Astonishing Member

Peter will be front and center that's for sure.
    Hoping Ben makes it out alive and with some kind of presence in a title at least

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bishop66 View Post
    hearing some big spider news to drop this week could be a just a teaser though on what the new direction is post beyond/ figure we get the new writer starting in april or there a better than good chance there still one more bridge arc after beyond before the new writer takes over. Im really leaning to i think hickman having a run with bachalo, gleason schiti and silva as the artist rotation. Hope they keep the 3 issues a month format as a comic store that always 3 weeks out of the month with 75-100 subs of guarennteed income every month which is great
    Here's hoping it's moving on from Beyond and getting us into some really good stuff for Peter for his 60th

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Here's hoping it's moving on from Beyond and getting us into some really good stuff for Peter for his 60th
    That's Marvel intention, for sure. Execution of that will be the key, as always

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bishop66 View Post
    Where are you hearing that?

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Here's my stupid take: Have Peter and MJ engaged after the Beyond Arc and bring back Spider-Marriage around #900.

Just in a time for celebration of 60th Anniversary of Spider-Man.

The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

There's a page in the Kang-centered Timeless comic out today that shows possible futures or upcoming events. One of them is Ben in the Beyond suit that looks to be him swinging in front of the HOLLYWOOD sign in CA. So it's entirely possible that Peter resumes as Spidey in NY while Ben heads to the West Coast.