Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Post beyond

Mighty Member

Default Post beyond

What do you think will happen after Beyond?
    Peter becomes the main spider man? Or
    Ben remains as spider man, but is jobless and down on his luck?

Extraordinary Member

Spider-man's 60th aniversary
    ASM's 900th issue
    It's a 19 issue/part story
    Previous run spent 3+years fixing a lot of the mess created w/Spider-man

Peter is most definitely coming back.The question is whether Ben gets a spin off or if he dies.

BANNED

Mostly it'll be status-quo at the end of Spencer's run for the most part.

Ben Reilly will likely be shuffled out of ASM to the satellites but he'll be still around somewhere. Depending on whatever the incoming writer (who has definitely been hired and is already at work as we speak) has planned.

Obviously I don't want him to die. Would be cool to have back Sensational Spider-Man about Ben alongside Amazing Spider-Man with Peter.

Incredible Member

Personally, I don’t care for what happens with Amazing or Peter, but I am hoping that Ben gets a solo, relaunched Sensationsl Spider-Man, since Sensational was “his” launch title as Spider-Man back in the day. Hoping that with the combined launch of the Ben Reilly: Spider-Man mini in Janurary, a relaunch of a Spider-Man book, will thrust him back into his own solo, and reunite him with some if not all of his cast from his time in the costume.

I’m sure that with his time being “employed” with Beyond will resolve any legal issues regarding his legal status as alive/dead since a lot of people saw him die(get stabbed) and attended his memorial. So having him run into the ol Daily Grind cast would be cool at some point, even if it’s just the owner and her son, especially if Ben and Jenine relocate to another city/state, post Beyond.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Mostly it'll be status-quo at the end of Spencer's run for the most part.

Ben Reilly will likely be shuffled out of ASM to the satellites but he'll be still around somewhere. Depending on whatever the incoming writer (who has definitely been hired and is already at work as we speak) has planned.
    Yeah, any idea when they announce who's writing that.In around 3 months or something, right?

Ben might get a solo as well, Scarlet spider or something.

Peter will be the main Spider-Man again.

peter will be the main spiderman who is jobless and down on his luck. spiderman fans will complain about OMD as usual everything will be back to normal
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Any idea who is being courted for post-Beyond? Maybe they’ll just stick with Zeb Wells. He seems like a nice guy and a competent writer who is pretty passionate about Spidey and has proved his bonafides.

My guess is 6 issues before #900 will lead up to a confrontation with a classic foe, and then 900 will be that confrontation… nothing that memorable, but just a fun no-holds barred battle, kinda like #600 or #300 or #800. Maybe Electro will finally get that classic story he’s been waiting six decades for. Whatever it is, don’t expect any Earth shattering epics undoing OMD… that ship has sailed… and don’t expect any tear-jerkers like #400… comic death has zero impact nowadays. It’ll be some drag down fight with whoever has been built up in a year’s time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Any idea who is being courted for post-Beyond?
    "Being courted?". The next person(s) has already been hired and is plotting out the Post-Beyond issues as we speak. That's a guarantee.

Spencer was recruited near 10 months before Slott's final issue. The Beyond team per Nick Lowe's note at the end of Spencer's last issue has been at work since December 2020. If Beyond is only lasting for 6 months and 19 issues, then the next writing team have already been hired and are at work already.

Now whether the next writing team is one person or another writing team, doing a wholly different story, we don't know. But the fact is whoever they are they're going to be starting March 2021 and they're at work as we speak.

So basically ask yourself whose schedule is free around March 2021? Donny Cates is at work on Thor and Hulk and there's no way anybody can do another major ongoing alongside ASM twice-a-month so if Cates is on those titles longer than March 2021 (as it seems to be) then he's off the list. He's talked about not leaving the Earth without doing a run on ASM but he might have to wait longer. What about Al Ewing? He's on SWORD for another year it seems as per his recent interview but Guardians and Immortal Hulk are wrapping up, on the other hand he's starting VENOM with Ram V.?

Chip Zdarsky is ending his run on Daredevil with Devil's Reign so assuming he doesn't jump ship to DC maybe he's free?

On the other hand, Jonathan Hickman said that he was working on "the next big Marvel thing" after Inferno, and you have to ask what qualifies as "big Marvel thing" for the guy who's one of the few to do defining runs on Fantastic Four, Avengers, X-Men? Not saying it's likely but it's a possibility and Nick Lowe getting Hickman to write ASM into 900 and beyond will never let anyone live down that hype. Remember that before Hickman started work on HoX/PoX, Matthew Rosenberg and others were commissioned to do a stopgap X-Men run, so Spider-Man Beyond kind of falls into a pattern and Wells is of course a former crewman of Admiral Hickman's fleet.

On the other hand, maybe Marvel will give it to less well-known writers. After all Dan Slott wasn't Mr. Famous Name when he started on Spider-Man, neither was Roger Stern (Nick Spencer had a higher profile coming in by comparison). So maybe the less well known figures such as Christopher Cantwell could come in, or someone else either.

Maybe they’ll just stick with Zeb Wells. He seems like a nice guy and a competent writer who is pretty passionate about Spidey and has proved his bonafides.
    Wells is a guy with a lot of different interests. He's worked in animation as a voice actor and director (on Robot Chicken) and he was the showrunner of Super Mansion.

So he doesn't come across as someone committed to a full-time writing two-issues a month gig on ASM where every issue has to come out on time. In a recent podcast interview he talked about how Spencer was a beast compared to him in being able to put out so many issues of ASM and writing so far ahead.

So if Wells continues it might be as part of a writing team where he doesn't have to write every issue of ASM across six months or more.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-10-2021 at 02:23 PM.

Astonishing Member

Chip Zdarsky is ending his run on Daredevil with Devil's Reign so assuming he doesn't jump ship to DC maybe he's free?
    Is he though? There were tweets or pictures that outlined Zdarsky's current Marvel plans the Devil's Reign was very much a middle breather and his Daredevil run was plotted to 50 issues. That could all change, of course (Spencer's run on ASM proved that). Nothing saying he couldn't take ASM on as well. But I figure Marvel want a writer to dedicate themselves to that book long term.

On the other hand, Jonathan Hickman said that he was working on "the next big Marvel thing" after Inferno, and you have to ask what qualifies as "big Marvel thing" for the guy who's one of the few to do defining runs on Fantastic Four, Avengers, X-Men? Not saying it's likely but it's a possibility and Nick Lowe getting Hickman to write ASM into 900 and beyond will never let anyone live down that hype. Remember that before Hickman started work on HoX/PoX, Matthew Rosenberg and others were commissioned to do a stopgap X-Men run, so Spider-Man Beyond kind of falls into a pattern and Wells is of course a former crewman of Admiral Hickman's fleet.
    Hickman on Amazing would definitely get eyes on it. I don't know, Spidey doesn't seem like the kind of title Hickman would gravitate towards (he prefers books with ensemble casts with grand landscapes/concepts to work with). Although, maybe Marvel offered it to him as a good will gesture for what happened over at the X-office? The opportunity to do a solo book and not have to coordinate a dozen other titles must seem alluring for someone like Hickman right now.

As for Cates? I don't seem him being on Hulk too long. Just a feeling I have.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Is he though? There were tweets or pictures that outlined Zdarsky's current Marvel plans the Devil's Reign was very much a middle breather and his Daredevil run was plotted to 50 issues. That could all change, of course (Spencer's run on ASM proved that). Nothing saying he couldn't take ASM on as well. But I figure Marvel want a writer to dedicate themselves to that book long term.
    Perhaps.

Hickman on Amazing would definitely get eyes on it. I don't know, Spidey doesn't seem like the kind of title Hickman would gravitate towards (he prefers books with ensemble casts with grand landscapes/concepts to work with). Although, maybe Marvel offered it to him as a good will gesture for what happened over at the X-office? The opportunity to do a solo book and not have to coordinate a dozen other titles must seem alluring for someone like Hickman right now.
    Hickman apparently said once that he would like to do more solo books but he keeps being offered team books. So maybe, he'd like to do a lateral move and show "this too I can do. This good am I" (in Yoda-speak befitting the master).

As for Cates? I don't seem him being on Hulk too long. Just a feeling I have.
    The question is if his dance card is freeing up by March 2021. If not, then I doubt it. They won't make a big deal of Cates following Ewing on Hulk if it's just going to be some four-five issue arc. His Thor run is still ongoing and not expected to hand over or end anytime soon either. Writing Thor and Hulk is ambitious but possible since both are monthlies and they have some leeway and possibility to accommodate delays. That's not the case with ASM.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-11-2021 at 05:39 AM.

The only way I can see Hickman writing Spider-Man is if he wants to take a "break" from his usual books and really show off how much he can change up his writing, because the type of stuff he usually writes just seems really off-base for what people expect from Spider-Man.

Astonishing Member

Perhaps.
    unnamed-22.jpg

That's the image Chip posted for his 21/22 comic projects. They could always accelerate the schedule if they wanted.

Hickman apparently said once that he would like to do more solo books but he keeps being offered team books. So maybe, he'd like to do a lateral move and show "this too I can do. This good am I" (in Yoda-speak befitting the master).
    He could. I mean, he is a writer regardless. So a solo book could be a nice change of pace. I do get the sense Marvel wish to keep him around and he has said he has been discussing further projects with them.

The question is if his dance card is freeing up by March 2021. If not, then I doubt it. They won't make a big deal of Cates following Ewing on Hulk if it's just going to be some four-five issue arc. His Thor run is still ongoing and not expected to hand over or end anytime soon either. Writing Thor and Hulk is ambitious but possible since both are monthlies and they have some leeway and possibility to accommodate delays. That's not the case with ASM.
    I think we will get 12 issues out of Cates for his Hulk run. Everything I read about it sounds like it's a set-up that can't be sustained across 24 - 36 issues. I could be way off base and am willing to be proven wrong.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The only way I can see Hickman writing Spider-Man is if he wants to take a "break" from his usual books and really show off how much he can change up his writing, because the type of stuff he usually writes just seems really off-base for what people expect from Spider-Man.
    Hickman likes science based concepts. What better than a mythology where most of the villains are based upon "science gone wrong?".

If Hickman was to be named the new writer, then I'd imagine Marvel might have offered it to him as a good will gesture for the other writers at the X-office cutting his plans short.