Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Default Your top 10 Spider-Man villains

Who are your favorite Spider-Man villains and why these are mine.

10. Morlun: Probably a controversial choice but I like many others could not take my eyes of how much of an unstoppable force of death he was to Spider-Man when they had that fight in The Other storyline. It is actually in this case more appropriate then most times since Spider-Man was diagnosed with an untreatable syntom that as far as he knew would kill him. So despite people objecting to Morlun returning I think he was actually a very fitting menace in this Straszynski story purely from a thematic point of view. I also like how he seems to have multiple mouths on his palms when he decided to suck out Peter Parker life force, comes of like a nodd to Spider-Man 1994 were Morbius had mouth on his palms which as a fan of said series I appreciate. Also his grizzly death is one of the best villain deaths in comics, I mean we have gotten monster Spider-Man before but none of them have ever eaten a person before as far as I am aware of.

9. the Chamealon: Has the honor of being Spider-Mans first supervillain and if you take Kraven the Hunters first appearence into consideration then he is actually the instigator of the first supervillain team up in Spider-Mans history and him getting the ability to change appearence via a hologram during the bronze age only made him more awesome, I mean it got to be stressfull having to apply all that makeup and clothing everytime he has to change appearences. Finally as far as villainy and stuping low goes raping Mary Jane by disguising himself as Peter Parker has to be up there with some of the most heinous things Spider-Mans villains have ever done. So yeah this one takes the spot for not just being an effective thorn in Spider-Mans side but also the best excempel of dispicable villany in general.

8.Spencer Smythe: This guy actually has quite allot of character development for a supervillain. If anybody reads his first stories he actually is not that Sinister, sure he is trying to help Jameson capture Spider-Man but he is not trying to kill or injure anybody. Later on he becomes more a typical supervillain by using his mechanics to steal fortunes. My favorite version tho is the sad vengeafull Smythe blaming Jameson and Spider-Man for him having cancer after all the atomic energy driven robots he has been making ever since Peter Parker and Jameson got him to help the Bugle capture Spider-Man(If you are confused by that last part about Spider-Man getting Jameson to use the original Spiderslayer just look it up). Also despite what a remarkable villain he was he died and has never come back since, Miles Warren and Norman Osborne take notes.

7.the Lizard: Not the most effective villain infact I say that in the 1994 cartoon series and Amazing Spider-Man film he is far more affective, but it is still quite dramatict to have Spider-Man constantly having to punch one of his best friends in order to save him. I also don't think that his wife dying and him eventually eating his son at his most Lizard like ruined the character but only made him so much more tragic.

6.Senator Steward Ward: This character is in my opinion the ''taking over the world as another lifeform then human'' aspect of the Lizard done right in the comics. Senator Steward Ward also is a villain taking the form of a bacteria which is actually more menacing and fitting for a symbol of global domination then a Lizard. Also similar to Norman Osborne in the Fox Kids cartoon series he comes of as a minor crook who needs saving from bigger badder villains only to later become a much more dangerous supervillain himself, which I kinda like. Speaking of Norman Osborne this villain died a memorable death and did not come back and honestly he does not need to. He also royaly kicked Venoms ass.

5.Thousand: Is an enemy of Peter Parker even before he becomes Spider-Man, kills his own parents has a both a more sinister and effective way of disgusing himself then the Chameleon, knew of Spider-Mans identity from the very beginning, died and never came back. Also people always argue that do to the big Spider symbol on his chest Venom, Venom is a antiSpider-Man however giving that Thousand became a Supervillain do to the same Spider that gave Peter Parkers his powers initially I think he fits the bill better. What is not to love about this guy?

4.the Black Costume: Almost drained Spider-Man of adrenalin and made both Eddie Brock and Angelo into Supervillains not to mention gave the Scorpion one of his more memmorable upgrades. Also has a track record of causing more problems for it's hosts then good. Look up what happened to Angelo Fortuna and Anna Weying and I do not mind the addition originally from the 1994 cartoon series of driving it's host to kill and be more aggresive in general even if it is to the detrement of the ones wearing it. Although his spot on here might seem hypocritical given my stance on Norman Osborne and Miles Warren given that the black costume has come back to life 2 times now.

3.the Scorpion: In hinesight he is nothing special but before there was Thousand before there was Morlun or even Venom Scorpion was the big bad guy that seemed to hard for Spider-Man to ever be able to take down. A real power house the Scorpion at the time was presented as the biggest threat that Spider-Man had ever faced, the front cover of the issue even said ''How can Spider-Man defeat a villain who is stronger then he is?'' he was also kind of an antiSpider-Man given that he got his power from a arachnid. But all in hinsight with the exception of the story the Scorpion Takes a Bride which happen to be my favorite issue of Spider-Man ever and that one time were Garry Conway decided to make him a bit insane thinking he was stuck in his costume very little interesting has really been done with the character since his first appearence except that he has had some pretty neat looking outfits and tails through out the year.

2.Carnage: CARNAGE RULES! Nuff said.

1.Alistar Smythe: I prefer his Spiderslayers to those of Spencer Smythe from a purely astethic point of view, also unlike his father he can actually fight the Wall Crawler himself he can actually fight him in person. Actually why is Doctor Octopus considered a antiSpider-man for being a scientist like Peter Parker when this guy can shoot webs just like Spidey not to mention that there are tons of Spider-Man villains who are scientist, Mendel Strom, Norman Osborne, Miles Warren, Doctor Johnathan Ohnn the list goes on. Also Peter Parker himself has never actually defated this guy in person and brought him in despite having been able trash his robots I mean that's got to count for something I would think. Also unlike Carnage this guy seems not to have just been killed because the higher ups at Marvel hated him and should therefor unlike Carnage stay dead. I should probably mention that much like the Scorpion this guy has a habit of having alternative designs.

So who are yours. Don't be shy to say Norman Osborne if you like him I just don't see the appeal of a super powerfull guy who is mostly out of prison and mental hospitals and is all about hurting Parkers loved ones, yet knowing Spider-Mans true identity has not done so since he killed of Ben Reily and on top of that seems quite inconsistant depend on who is writing him.
    Last edited by Obeythemoderators; 10-10-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Astonishing Member

My number one pick remains consistent, but the others shift around.

1- Norman Osborn: yes, I agree with others. He’s too exposed nowadays. It cheapens him as a villain. And his current status as a nice guy purified of his evil and sins is so lame that I really hope it’s undone soon. But when he’s used sparingly, like once every 3 years or so, his stories carry real impact. He’s the killer of Gwen Stacy, the first person to unmask Peter, the mastermind of the Clone Saga, and someone so evil he liquored up a recovering alcoholic (Flash) against his will and put him behind the wheel of a truck facing Peter’s school… that’s sick. So I’ll always love Norman, even though I wish he’d disappear for half a decade.

2-Mysterio- illusions are fun, stories where Peter doubts his sanity are fun, stories in which Peter is living in a fake world and only discovers halfway through the story are fun.

3-Doctor Octopus- yes, like Norman, too much exposure in recent years, but a classic Doc Ock battle excites like nothing else.

4-Harry Osborn as Green Goblin- personal dynamics and the love for a friend, mixed with the bitterness of mental illness and the burden of an evil legacy makes for some compelling reading.

5-Electro- he hasn’t been in many classic stories unlike other Lee/Ditko villains, but I love his power-set and the fact he’s always trying to overcome his inferiority complex when facing Spidey.

6-Venom- again, over-exposed to the point he’s lost almost all impact nowadays, but the stories he was in during the (very) late 80s to the early 90s were classics. Who can forget him stalking a desperate Peter Parker on a deserted island?

7- Smythe and his Spider-Slayers are always a lot of fun.

8- Swarm. I love this goofy villain and think he’s totally underrated. A Nazi made out of killer bees… c’mon, what’s not to love?

9- Kaine, when he’s bad. Some great tales of Kaine stalking Ben and creating a mess for Peter too (although I like him even more as a reformed hero).

10- Chance- his stories are just so much fun… gambling on the outcome of a battle. Plus, his look is so unique and cool. I like he doesn’t really give a crap about either side, and is only in it for the fun and the money.

Villains I never want to see again: Morlun, Carnage, Lizard (how many times can Curt be allowed to turn into him and given yet another chance?), Kraven (loved KLH, but let him RIP), Morbius, any Dan Slott created villain, Kindred, Type-Face, Jackal, Hobgoblin (a great mystery in the 1980s, but the character has been in nothing memorable since), Puma, Shriek, Carrion.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post

1- Norman Osborn: yes, I agree with others. He’s too exposed nowadays. It cheapens him as a villain. And his current status as a nice guy purified of his evil and sins is so lame that I really hope it’s undone soon. But when he’s used sparingly, like once every 3 years or so, his stories carry real impact. He’s the killer of Gwen Stacy, the first person to unmask Peter, the mastermind of the Clone Saga, and someone so evil he liquored up a recovering alcoholic (Flash) against his will and put him behind the wheel of a truck facing Peter’s school… that’s sick. So I’ll always love Norman, even though I wish he’d disappear for half a decade.

2-Mysterio- illusions are fun, stories where Peter doubts his sanity are fun, stories in which Peter is living in a fake world and only discovers halfway through the story are fun.

3-Doctor Octopus- yes, like Norman, too much exposure in recent years, but a classic Doc Ock battle excites like nothing else.

4-Harry Osborn as Green Goblin- personal dynamics and the love for a friend, mixed with the bitterness of mental illness and the burden of an evil legacy makes for some compelling reading.

5-Electro- he hasn’t been in many classic stories unlike other Lee/Ditko villains, but I love his power-set and the fact he’s always trying to overcome his inferiority complex when facing Spidey.

6-Venom- again, over-exposed to the point he’s lost almost all impact nowadays, but the stories he was in during the (very) late 80s to the early 90s were classics. Who can forget him stalking a desperate Peter Parker on a deserted island?

8- Swarm. I love this goofy villain and think he’s totally underrated. A Nazi made out of killer bees… c’mon, what’s not to love?

9- Kaine, when he’s bad. Some great tales of Kaine stalking Ben and creating a mess for Peter too (although I like him even more as a reformed hero).

10- Chance- his stories are just so much fun… gambling on the outcome of a battle. Plus, his look is so unique and cool. I like he doesn’t really give a crap about either side, and is only in it for the fun and the money.

Villains I never want to see again: Morlun, Carnage, Lizard (how many times can Curt be allowed to turn into him and given yet another chance?), Kraven (loved KLH, but let him RIP), Morbius, any Dan Slott created villain, Kindred, Type-Face, Jackal, Hobgoblin (a great mystery in the 1980s, but the character has been in nothing memorable since), Puma, Shriek, Carrion.
    Your username is HypnoHustler, and Hypno-Hustler isn't anywhere in this list? Disappointing .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Your username is HypnoHustler, and Hypno-Hustler isn't anywhere in this list? Disappointing .
    Haha, I do think that’s a fun tale, but I just thought that username would be funny as a gag. If I knew I’d be posting so much, I would’ve picked something better.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post

Yeah, it seems most people are sick of the Jackal at this point myself included, although reviving people from the death is in fairness his gimmick.

I dont have a top 10. But I will post my favorites.

1. Doc Ock - Doc Ock will always be number 1 for me. The guy is just a great villain and he stole Spiderman's mind and body. That is something that could have been really traumatic for Spiderman but they didnt really write it like that when Peter got his mind back.

2. Vulture - Blackie Drago - I know he was not around long. Blink and you missed him. But I will loved this guy. Caused an accident to hurt the original Vulture got his wings and fought Spiderman. I still say he would have won if Kraven had not zapped him. but those two issues of Spiderman fighting him and Kraven, then the next time he showed up where he fought the original Vulture were classics to me

3. Vulture - Adrian Toomes. He was one of the first Spiderman villains I read and I enjoyed him so much. Loved the wings, loved the old man as a tough guy beating up on a much younger Spiderman. Every Story he was in I just loved.

4. Mr Negitive - One of the newer villains. At least for me. I have been reading the Spiderman comics from OMD and on I am at 606 right now and Mr negitive has been a lot of fun for me to read. He is one of the reasons I enjoy the the newer stuff so much.

5. Kraven The Hunter - Another guy I really enjoy. His powers are not so great and I am sure that Spiderman had to be jobbed to make him any kind of a real threat. But I love the guy who has no real motivation other then to Hunt Spiderman just for the thrill of beating him. he wasnt trying to take over the world, or form a crime family. he just wanted to hunt and kill.

6. The Jackal - The man who had a huge role to play in The Clones. When I first saw him I thought he looked goofy but not as goofy as some of the other villains. I am one of the very few people that think The Clone Saga is a great story. So he will always have a high place for me

7. The Kingpin - I know he is known more for being a Daredevil villain but his first stories in Amazing Spiderman are classic.

I really dont like Anyone else enough to put them on a top 10 list. So here are my top villains.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont have a top 10. But I will post my favorites.

1. Doc Ock - Doc Ock will always be number 1 for me. The guy is just a great villain and he stole Spiderman's mind and body. That is something that could have been really traumatic for Spiderman but they didnt really write it like that when Peter got his mind back.

2. Vulture - Blackie Drago - I know he was not around long. Blink and you missed him. But I will loved this guy. Caused an accident to hurt the original Vulture got his wings and fought Spiderman. I still say he would have won if Kraven had not zapped him. but those two issues of Spiderman fighting him and Kraven, then the next time he showed up where he fought the original Vulture were classics to me

3. Vulture - Adrian Toomes. He was one of the first Spiderman villains I read and I enjoyed him so much. Loved the wings, loved the old man as a tough guy beating up on a much younger Spiderman. Every Story he was in I just loved.

4. Mr Negitive - One of the newer villains. At least for me. I have been reading the Spiderman comics from OMD and on I am at 606 right now and Mr negitive has been a lot of fun for me to read. He is one of the reasons I enjoy the the newer stuff so much.

5. Kraven The Hunter - Another guy I really enjoy. His powers are not so great and I am sure that Spiderman had to be jobbed to make him any kind of a real threat. But I love the guy who has no real motivation other then to Hunt Spiderman just for the thrill of beating him. he wasnt trying to take over the world, or form a crime family. he just wanted to hunt and kill.

6. The Jackal - The man who had a huge role to play in The Clones. When I first saw him I thought he looked goofy but not as goofy as some of the other villains. I am one of the very few people that think The Clone Saga is a great story. So he will always have a high place for me

7. The Kingpin - I know he is known more for being a Daredevil villain but his first stories in Amazing Spiderman are classic.

I really dont like Anyone else enough to put them on a top 10 list. So here are my top villains.
    When you say the Clone Saga was great are you referring to the original one or the one from the 90's?

Quote Originally Posted by Obeythemoderators View Post
    When you say the Clone Saga was great are you referring to the original one or the one from the 90's?
    Both. I love it all. I am a sucker for clones
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Both. I love it all. I am a sucker for clones
    So does that include the Clone Conspiracy as well?

So does that include the Clone Conspiracy as well?
    I have not read that yet. But I am very excited to read it. I am reading some more recent Amazing Spiderman. I just got done with issue 606 And I have also read Superior Spiderman as well as the 2014 run as well as Scarlett Spider with Khaine and the second Superior series that I didnt like much,. Not too many newer comics other then that. Some Ms Marvel that I loved and some Avengers that I was Meh on. Oh and some Karoka Xmen that I enjoyed

I bounce back and forth between eras too dang much.

Astonishing Member

Who are your favorite Spider-Man villains and why these are mine.

10. Morlun: Probably a controversial choice but I like many others could not take my eyes of how much of an unstoppable force of death he was to Spider-Man when they had that fight in The Other storyline. It is actually in this case more appropriate then most times since Spider-Man was diagnosed with an untreatable syntom that as far as he knew would kill him. So despite people objecting to Morlun returning I think he was actually a very fitting menace in this Straszynski story purely from a thematic point of view. I also like how he seems to have multiple mouths on his palms when he decided to suck out Peter Parker life force, comes of like a nodd to Spider-Man 1994 were Morbius had mouth on his palms which as a fan of said series I appreciate. Also his grizzly death is one of the best villain deaths in comics, I mean we have gotten monster Spider-Man before but none of them have ever eaten a person before as far as I am aware of.

9. the Chamealon: Has the honor of being Spider-Mans first supervillain and if you take Kraven the Hunters first appearence into consideration then he is actually the instigator of the first supervillain team up in Spider-Mans history and him getting the ability to change appearence via a hologram during the bronze age only made him more awesome, I mean it got to be stressfull having to apply all that makeup and clothing everytime he has to change appearences. Finally as far as villainy and stuping low goes raping Mary Jane by disguising himself as Peter Parker has to be up there with some of the most heinous things Spider-Mans villains have ever done. So yeah this one takes the spot for not just being an effective thorn in Spider-Mans side but also the best excempel of dispicable villany in general.

8.Spencer Smythe: This guy actually has quite allot of character development for a supervillain. If anybody reads his first stories he actually is not that Sinister, sure he is trying to help Jameson capture Spider-Man but he is not trying to kill or injure anybody. Later on he becomes more a typical supervillain by using his mechanics to steal fortunes. My favorite version tho is the sad vengeafull Smythe blaming Jameson and Spider-Man for him having cancer after all the atomic energy driven robots he has been making ever since Peter Parker and Jameson got him to help the Bugle capture Spider-Man(If you are confused by that last part about Spider-Man getting Jameson to use the original Spiderslayer just look it up). Also despite what a remarkable villain he was he died and has never come back since, Miles Warren and Norman Osborne take notes.

7.the Lizard: Not the most effective villain infact I say that in the 1994 cartoon series and Amazing Spider-Man film he is far more affective, but it is still quite dramatict to have Spider-Man constantly having to punch one of his best friends in order to save him. I also don't think that his wife dying and him eventually eating his son at his most Lizard like ruined the character but only made him so much more tragic.

6.Senator Steward Ward: This character is in my opinion the ''taking over the world as another lifeform then human'' aspect of the Lizard done right in the comics. Senator Steward Ward also is a villain taking the form of a bacteria which is actually more menacing and fitting for a symbol of global domination then a Lizard. Also similar to Norman Osborne in the Fox Kids cartoon series he comes of as a minor crook who needs saving from bigger badder villains only to later become a much more dangerous supervillain himself, which I kinda like. Speaking of Norman Osborne this villain died a memorable death and did not come back and honestly he does not need to. He also royaly kicked Venoms ass.

5.Thousand: Is an enemy of Peter Parker even before he becomes Spider-Man, kills his own parents has a both a more sinister and effective way of disgusing himself then the Chameleon, knew of Spider-Mans identity from the very beginning, died and never came back. Also people always argue that do to the big Spider symbol on his chest Venom, Venom is a antiSpider-Man however giving that Thousand became a Supervillain do to the same Spider that gave Peter Parkers his powers initially I think he fits the bill better. What is not to love about this guy?

4.the Black Costume: Almost drained Spider-Man of adrenalin and made both Eddie Brock and Angelo into Supervillains not to mention gave the Scorpion one of his more memmorable upgrades. Also has a track record of causing more problems for it's hosts then good. Look up what happened to Angelo Fortuna and Anna Weying and I do not mind the addition originally from the 1994 cartoon series of driving it's host to kill and be more aggresive in general even if it is to the detrement of the ones wearing it. Although his spot on here might seem hypocritical given my stance on Norman Osborne and Miles Warren given that the black costume has come back to life 2 times now.

3.the Scorpion: In hinesight he is nothing special but before there was Thousand before there was Morlun or even Venom Scorpion was the big bad guy that seemed to hard for Spider-Man to ever be able to take down. A real power house the Scorpion at the time was presented as the biggest threat that Spider-Man had ever faced, the front cover of the issue even said ''How can Spider-Man defeat a villain who is stronger then he is?'' he was also kind of an antiSpider-Man given that he got his power from a arachnid. But all in hinsight with the exception of the story the Scorpion Takes a Bride which happen to be my favorite issue of Spider-Man ever and that one time were Garry Conway decided to make him a bit insane thinking he was stuck in his costume very little interesting has really been done with the character since his first appearence except that he has had some pretty neat looking outfits and tails through out the year.

2.Carnage: CARNAGE RULES! Nuff said.

1.Alistar Smythe: I prefer his Spiderslayers to those of Spencer Smythe from a purely astethic point of view, also unlike his father he can actually fight the Wall Crawler himself he can actually fight him in person. Actually why is Doctor Octopus considered a antiSpider-man for being a scientist like Peter Parker when this guy can shoot webs just like Spidey not to mention that there are tons of Spider-Man villains who are scientist, Mendel Strom, Norman Osborne, Miles Warren, Doctor Johnathan Ohnn the list goes on. Also Peter Parker himself has never actually defated this guy in person and brought him in despite having been able trash his robots I mean that's got to count for something I would think. Also unlike Carnage this guy seems not to have just been killed because the higher ups at Marvel hated him and should therefor unlike Carnage stay dead. I should probably mention that much like the Scorpion this guy has a habit of having alternative designs.

So who are yours. Don't be shy to say Norman Osborne if you like him I just don't see the appeal of a super powerfull guy who is mostly out of prison and mental hospitals and is all about hurting Parkers loved ones, yet knowing Spider-Mans true identity has not done so since he killed of Ben Reily and on top of that seems quite inconsistant depend on who is writing him.
    1:Otto. 1a: Norman. 2: Beck.3: Electro. 4: Lizard. 5: Carnage. 6: Kingsley. 7: Kraven. 8: Fisk: 9:Scorpion.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    1:Otto. 1a: Norman. 2: Beck.3: Electro. 4: Lizard. 5: Carnage. 6: Kingsley. 7: Kraven. 8: Fisk: 9:Scorpion.
    Beck? You mean Mysteriou as in Quentin Beck?

Astonishing Member

After what we saw at the end of Kindred's saga, do you think we should consider Mephisto as one of Spider-Man's enemies?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    After what we saw at the end of Kindred's saga, do you think we should consider Mephisto as one of Spider-Man's enemies?
    Much like Dr. Doom, Mephisto is everyone's enemy.

My top 10...

1. Dr. Octopus
    2. Venom
    3. Any and every Goblin
    4. Electro
    5. Carnage
    6. Mysterio
    7. Rhino
    8. Lizard
    9. Sandman
    10. Kingpin

BANNED

It's hard for me to divide favorites from those I think are greatest in terms of threat level or qualities of stories.

So here's my list:

1) The Green Goblin/Norman Osborn

2) Doctor Octopus

3) Kraven the Hunter

4) Mysterio

5) Venom (during David Michelinie's run)

6) The Vulture

7) The Sandman

8) The Rhino

9) Carnage

10) The Spider-Slayers

Spider-Man is odd because sometimes you have great stories with weak villains (like The First Clone Saga where Jackal sucks but the story is great) and villains with great designs who arguably never had a single great story yet (Electro, Chameleon, Lizard, The Scorpion). One off villains like Morlun who were great in their original story but not enough of a follow-up. Kingpin who became a big villain outside Spider-Man but only scored about two great stories with him as a villain (Back in Black, Spider-Man no more albeit in a minor vein).

Then you have Venom who is one of his greatest villains but he became anti-hero early on.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-10-2021 at 04:12 PM.