Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Didnt The Chameleon sleep with the sister of Peter's cop roommate when he was disguised as Peter? I thought that was pretty damn low. I know she was about to throw Peter out of the apartment and he stood up and kissed her and they fell to the floor. I assume the way she acted towards him after that they had sex.
    Yeah, the writer (or editor) tried to retcon it by saying, "They just made out," but damage done.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, the writer (or editor) tried to retcon it by saying, "They just made out," but damage done.
    I mean, while that is better, is still a violation. No matter what he says.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I mean, while that is better, is still a violation. No matter what he says.
    Exactly. And then there was the original run of Superior Spider-Man with Otto in Peter's body, and what he got up to there with Mary Jane and Anna Maria.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeythemoderators View Post
    Just wondering why you put the Spiderslayers as one entity when they have more then one creator.
    A ranking from an old annual lists the Goblin brothers as Spider-Man's greatest enemy, because there was a max of one goblin at a time and they built on the legacy of Norman Osborn. It's an understandable approach.

It would be the same way that sci fi fans might list the Klingons or the Daleks or the Borg as their favorite antagonists.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

As for me...

10. Sandman- The power set is a fantastic visual, as seen by the likes of Ditko, Kirby, Kane, Andru, Bachalo and Pulido. Though I do like the idea that he's a blue-collar guy who isn't committed to villainy.

9. Harry Osborn/ Green Goblin- One of the best legacy villains in comics. Had a great arc.

8. The Kingpin- He's more of a Daredevil villain now, but he's still the best crime boss in comics.

7. Fusion- He had more reason than Eddie Brock to hate Spider-Man, and posed an interesting threat. He's been primed for a comeback for nearly twenty years.

6. Kraven the Hunter- He might be in the top ten without Kraven's last hunt, but that was enough to guarantee a spot. The hunter motif is excellent. His batting average in the Lee/ Ditko and Lee/ Romita days was solid.

5. Alien Costume/ Venom- It's a good evil mirror version of Spidey.

4. Norman Osborn/ Green Goblin- The archenemy for a reason.

3. Doctor Octopus- The villain you can do more with than any other.

2. The Lizard- I still love the power-set, the primal/ human dichotomy, and the idea that Curt Connors should not be hurt.

1. J. Jonah Jameson- The best supporting character in comics, and the guy who did more damage to Spider-Man than almost everyone else.

Honorable mentions: Chameleon, Vulture, Mysterio, Black Cat, Roderick Kingsley Hobgoblin
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    J. Jonah Jameson- The best supporting character in comics, and the guy who did more damage to Spider-Man than almost everyone else
    1) Jameson isn't a villain

2) He didn't do more damage to Spider-Man than anyone else, not by any stretch.

I mean aside from everything else, Jameson's sensationalism indirectly provided Peter a regular income as a photographer and helped him pay his way through college and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

2) He didn't do more damage to Spider-Man than anyone else, not by any stretch.

I mean aside from everything else, Jameson's sensationalism indirectly provided Peter a regular income as a photographer and helped him pay his way through college and beyond.
    He paid to crate The Scorpion, The Fly, and how many Spider Slayers? When he was mayor he funded those Spider Slayers that Goblin took over and attacked New York with. How many bodies does JJ have on him just by opening his check book to create bad guys? So he didnt just harm Spiderman. He has harmed a good many people.

It amazes he always gets a pass from people with the bad guys he created and the fake news he engaged in for years. And not just fake news on Spiderman. he called the whole Galactus battle with the Fantastic Four a Hoax.

When Doc Ock kidnapped Betty and took her to Coney Island to trap Spiderman Jameson did not tell the police because he was more concerned with getting pics and getting a story. The police may have trapped him there and Doc Ocks rampage through the city that endangered many people may not have happened.

Yes he has done some good. But that doesnt take away the bad he has done.

The dude is scum at best.
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-11-2021 at 07:05 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

He paid to crate The Scorpion, The Fly, and how many Spider Slayers?
    Between those three, what major damage did they do individually or collectively to Spider-Man? I mean Scorpion was a terrible person posing as a detective to start with, and the transformation allowed him to be more of a jerk than before. But even then he never did any major damage to Spider-Man.

The Fly is a joke. The Spider-Slayers are cool robots whose best stories (i.e. Pre-Slott) were fun adventure romps, including the one that led to Peter/MJ's marriage.

How many bodies does JJ have on him just by opening his check book to create bad guys?
    Well about the only character of note who got killed was Marla Madison, Jameson's second wife, at the hands of the Spider-Slayers, but Marla Madison was a former scientist who helped make those slayers so it's not like she was a total innocent. And her death is one of the few things Jameson never blames Spider-Man about.

It amazes he always gets a pass from people with the bad guys he created and the fake news he engaged in for years.
    Because the obvious intent with the character is a thing. Jameson was always created to be a comic figure, a little unrealistic but always entertaining.

He was never intended to cause Peter any serious problem or be any kind of threat. And he never really caused actual problems for Peter compared to the really big villains.

It doesnt matter if he caused big problems for Peter. The question asked about favorite villains and Mets see JJ as a villian and his favorite one.

And yea one named character got killed by Scorpion. But there have been issues where people have talked about his body count. And When Gargon was Venpom didnt he kill people? he never would have been Venom to start with had JJ not paid for him to become the Scorpion.

I can see why people have JJ as a villain.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

I can see why people have JJ as a villain.
    Well it makes for a far simpler and far less complicated, and in my view, far less interesting story if you see the story that way. Jameson is one of the most original and unique supporting characters in fiction and you do him disservice if you look at him that way. Why not simply accept the unique niche he occupies and the greater moral lesson he exists to impart to readers. Seeing Jameson as a villain isn't anywhere close to the complicated emotional connection audiences have had with Jameson since the start.

If you want a deeper exploration of what I mean, then I wrote a long post putting my thoughts here. If you have the time, check it out:
    https://elvingsmusings.wordpress.com...ty-conscience/

Well it makes for a far simpler and far less complicated, and in my view, far less interesting story if you see the story that way. Jameson is one of the most original and unique supporting characters in fiction and you do him disservice if you look at him that way. Why not simply accept the unique niche he occupies and the greater moral lesson he exists to impart to readers. Seeing Jameson as a villain isn't anywhere close to the complicated emotional connection audiences have had with Jameson since the start.

If you want a deeper exploration of what I mean, then I wrote a long post putting my thoughts here. If you have the time, check it out:
    https://elvingsmusings.wordpress.com...ty-conscience/
    I can still enjoy his character and see him as a villain. His over the top hatred of Spider man in the 60s is a lot of fun. When his his mayor his laser focus on Spiderman to the point he wants the to attack Spiderman after he stops that dirty bomb from going off is crazy and just on point for who he is. I enjoy his character. I enjoy a lot of characters who have beep problems. It does not do him a disservice because people see him different then you do.

BANNED

It does not do him a disservice because people see him different then you do.
    Jameson is an iconic and beloved character and it is in fact highly controversial to call him a villain, and especially to put him #1, and then assert he ruined Spider-Man's life more than anyone. I would say such a claim is immensely hyperbolic to start with, a total exaggeration if we are being real, and an outright misrepresentation of the obvious intent with his function as character.

When you make a controversial decision, it's going to provoke a response and that can't be dismissed under the rhetoric of "because people see him different than you do". This isn't Controversial Spider-Man Opinions where such weird and wild takes are more than welcome.

At least that's the way I feel about it.

Jameson is an iconic and beloved character and it is in fact highly controversial to call him a villain, and especially to put him #1, and then assert he ruined Spider-Man's life more than anyone. I would say such a claim is immensely hyperbolic to start with, a total exaggeration if we are being real, and an outright misrepresentation of the obvious intent with his function as character.

When you make a controversial decision, it's going to provoke a response and that can't be dismissed under the rhetoric of "because people see him different than you do". This isn't Controversial Spider-Man Opinions where such weird and wild takes are more than welcome.

At least that's the way I feel about it.
    Ill agree that he did not do as much damage. And you dont see him as a villain. Thats great. Thats your right. It is the right of others to see him as a villain.

No one has the right to tell another how they can view a character. We can give our opinions. Yours is not more or less valid then mine because I dont agree. Mine is no more or less valid then yours because you dont agree. We can give our opinions if we agree great. If not thats fine as well.

That is how I feel about it.
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-11-2021 at 07:59 PM.

Astonishing Member

What’s a villain then?

Wanna take a wager on how many innocents have died due to his involvement in either the creation or financial backing of the Spider Slayers, the Scorpion and the Human Fly?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    What’s a villain then?
    As far as Spider-Man goes, not Jameson.

Wanna take a wager on how many innocents have died due to his involvement in either the creation or financial backing of the Spider Slayers, the Scorpion and the Human Fly?
    Wouldn't be near the number that died because Spider-Man brought the Symbiote to Earth after Secret Wars, leading to Venom and then Carnage. Or you know Gwen Stacy who died because Peter refused to turn Norman to the authorities despite multiple chances and indications that the dude was a time bomb waiting to go off.

For that matter, the Spider-Slayers was partially Peter's doing. Jameson was originally content to ignore Smythe but Peter because he needed money and thought the Slayers were a joke sweet-talked Jameson into backing them.

Jameson sponsoring characters who turned out to be villains doesn't make him villainous, it makes him blind, hypocritical, flawed and prone to decisions that backfire on him but not a bad guy. By that logic Peter's a bad guy, or you know Batman in Tower of Babel or War Games or any story where Batman's paranoia backfires.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 10-11-2021 at 08:18 PM.