Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Surprised the poster didn’t include Shriek. She’s probably the most prominent female villain (which definitely isn’t saying much as she’s B-list at best). Or the Spider-Queen who gave him that organic webbing in that dumb story. Menace is another one…

But no real female heavy-hitters.
    Sadly Shriek almost always falls into the pit of just being a Harley Quinn to Carnage Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    You are correct. Scarecrow first used his fear gas in Batman 189 in 1967. 2 years after Mr Fear used his in Daredevil 6 in 1965.
    Nice, thanks for the info.

Surprised the poster didn’t include Shriek. She’s probably the most prominent female villain (which definitely isn’t saying much as she’s B-list at best).
    Doesn't Shriek only show up when Carnage shows up? That would make her less noticeable even if she shows up more.

Or the Spider-Queen who gave him that organic webbing in that dumb story.
    If Spider-Queen is gonna be remembered for anything, it's gonna be Spider-Island, 'cause the original story she debutted in, yeah, only memorable for being dumb, which The Other did the same thing an year later, well, minus the "Peter gives birth to himself" part lol.

Menace is another one…
    Man, I had completely forgotten about Menace... Will we learn that Norman impregnating her was some Mysterio magic therapy too? .

Yeah, of that list Nyssane posted, the most noticeable ones are Calypso and Joystick for having something unusual, Calypso with the way she uses magic and forcing someone else to fight for her, Joystick 'cause the way she likes to make things more difficult for herself for the sake of a challenge, hell, even struggling to refuse a dare, is actually kinda funny, even then they're C-listers at best, and one of them is dead lol.

Man, I had completely forgotten about Menace... Will we learn that Norman impregnating her was some Mysterio magic therapy too? .
    Harry is the father not Norman, but i think that she slept with both of then. I don't blame you for not remembering, the biggest thing that i remember for Menace is that image of her pregnant lol. And the fact that she kissed Peter once to distract him.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Harry is the father not Norman, but i think that she slept with both of then.
    She must've had 'cause I'm pretty sure there's a scene with Norman kissing her stomach, so he must've thought the kid was his'.

Though I'm not sure if anyone else is nearby, 'cause if Harry was around, Norman could be doing that to piss him off lol.

I don't blame you for not remembering, the biggest thing that i remember for Menace is that image of her pregnant lol. And the fact that she kissed Peter once to distract him.
    Yeah, BND is kind of a blank to me lol.

1. Dr. Octopus: My first introduction to the "good" doctor was with the 90's Spider-Man animated series. From his visual (bowl haircut, black shades and of course the tentacles) to his voice (provided by the late Efrem Zimbalist Jr) to his antagonistic chemistry with Spider-Man, he immediately became my favorite. Once I started reading Spider-Man comics, it was further cemented that Otto was the one Spider-Man villain I looked forward to seeing clash with Spider-Man the most.

2. Kraven the Hunter: Before KLH, I was a fan of his. He's always had an aura of a bad ass considering his sole purpose is to not just play with fire but master it. I also enjoyed his camaraderie with Calypso.Of course I know I'm in the minority when it comes to Sergei coming back from the dead after KLH but it's mostly because every Kraven replacement they've had never came close to surpassing the original and Kraven is too significant to the Spider-Man rogues gallery to just disregard IMO.

3. Mysterio: Always loved the fact that with this guy it was always psychological warfare, trying to get inside Spider-Man's mind. Also his visual is one of the best because it fully embodies the any world of comics.

4. Norman Osborn aka the Green Goblin: Yeah, he's overused but you know you can also make the same case with other superhero archenemies like the Joker or Lex Luthor. But the fact of the matter is, he's needed. Every superhero needs that one villain that not only gets underneath their skin but also pushes their buttons to the point of them coming close to crossing a line they never thought of crossing and Norman does that for Spider-Man. Over the years, I've become more intrigued with the antics of Norman Osborn than the Green Goblin because he's much more effective in that role.

5. The Kingpin: Sure he's often regarded as a Daredevil villain these days but he haunted Spider-Man first and continues to do so till this day. It's not how big or strong he is that makes him a formidable adversary to Spider-man but how proficient he is at the business element of crime. I love how Spider-man doesn't have enough webbing in his cartilage to touch the Kingpin.

6. Carnage: Every superhero should have that pure chaotic villain that relishes in sadism and Cletus Kasady is that for Spider-Man. Also on a shallow note, in Carnage mode he looks really cool.

7. Hobgoblin: Always thought he had a lot of untapped potential. I get the mystery of who he was instigated a lot of hype but I always felt there was much more to him than just that. The fact that he was able to be a captivating remix of not just any Spider-Man villain but Spider-Man's greatest foe is pretty damn impressive. Also, the hooded ghoulish look is hell of a visual for a super villain.

8. Mr. Negative: I love the yin and yang concept with Martin Li and he looks very cool in Negative mode. I also like how the Inner Demons complements him as a united force of darkness. Speaking of darkness, Negative's connection to the Maggia to Cloak and Dagger have always piqued my interest.

9. Tombstone: He has a cool name along with an amazing look that fits the part of who he is and that's a horrific gangster. I like the connection he has with Robbie Robertson. Very underrated. The way Tombstone was in Spectacular Spider-Man animated series is the way he regularly should be from here on out.

10. The Shocker: There's just something endearing about this guy despite him being a villain. If he had been created at DC Comics, I could totally see him at home with the Rogues of Keystone City because at his core he's just a blue collared hustler. He's got that unique look that's Taylor made for comics.
    Last edited by Nero; 11-30-2021 at 12:39 PM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    She must've had 'cause I'm pretty sure there's a scene with Norman kissing her stomach, so he must've thought the kid was his'.

Though I'm not sure if anyone else is nearby, 'cause if Harry was around, Norman could be doing that to piss him off lol.
    First it was Harry's, then Menace revealed it was Norman's then, right at the end when Ock wanted to use the baby for... something (magic Goblin blood? idk), I think he proved it was Harry's (and didn't have magic Goblin blood). That's how I remember it, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Yeah, BND is kind of a blank to me lol.
    Same. Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Surprised the poster didn’t include Shriek. She’s probably the most prominent female villain (which definitely isn’t saying much as she’s B-list at best). Or the Spider-Queen who gave him that organic webbing in that dumb story. Menace is another one…

Poor Scorpia has never even received a proper origin, she just showed up to work one day in a scorpion costume!

Scream at least appears daily in the Universal Islands of Adventure Spider-man ride.

I always liked Princess Python, probably the first female supervilllain Spidey ever fought (?) but I guess there is only so much you can do when a character's super power is "owns a pet snake."

But yeah, no real "heavy hitters," closest we got are probably Shriek and Calypso from a storyline perspective, and maybe Kraven's wife and daughter?
    Last edited by Vegeta; 10-14-2021 at 02:29 PM.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Edit accidental post.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Spectacular Member

I think it's pretty obvious: J. Michael Straczynski and Joe Quesada are Spider-Man's greatest villains ever.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    First it was Harry's, then Menace revealed it was Norman's then, right at the end when Ock wanted to use the baby for... something (magic Goblin blood? idk), I think he proved it was Harry's (and didn't have magic Goblin blood). That's how I remember it, anyway.
    That sounds vaguely familiar lol.

Same. Lol.
    I like to call it "Bland New Day" 'cause of how forgettable it can be lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I always liked Princess Python, probably the first female supervilllain Spidey ever fought (?) but I guess there is only so much you can do when a character's super power is "owns a pet snake."
    Pretty sure she was the first one, yeah.

But yeah, no real "heavy hitters," closest we got are probably Shriek and Calypso from a storyline perspective, and maybe Kraven's wife and daughter?
    Sasha was behind Gauntlet and then made Grim Hunt happen, so yeah.

Ana, wouldn't say she counts as much since she was just doing what Sasha told in Grim Hunt, though she did get that Gonzales dude while thinking he was Spidey, but that story didn't have much besides telling the reader another Kravinov was around, but she didn't do much after Grim Hunt, only became a pain in Anya's ass, then Kaine's, then basically went to limbo until she had basically a cameo in Sinister War... At least she's still around I guess lol.

The lack of female villains in the Spiderman world is a let down. he never really did have anyone good. of those mentioned I enjoy menace the most. Thought the Beetle is fun they just dont do enough with her.

Princess Pyton was the first female villain he fought in issue 22. The next female he fought was not even a villain it was Medusa in issue 62, then another hero when he fought Black Widow in issue 86. So he had a very long long time without a female villain.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Fantastic Member

1. Hobgoblin - loved this character ever since i saw him in the 90s animated series, no ide why the used him over Norman but I'm glad they did cause he was awesome.
    2. Green Goblin
    3. Doctor Octopus
    4. Venom - shame we'll never see him as a main villain in spidey again, i'd love a web of shadows style story in the comics,
    5. Kingpin - I refuse to let Daredevil have him, he's always gonna be spideys bad guy, hell there's a good argument that he was THE arch-nemesis of the 70s
    6. Morlun - Best thing JMS did (except for putting Pete ad Mj back together) was bring in this guy and the other storyline, those power upgrades need brought back
    7. Lizard - I Miss crazy turn the world into lizards doc connors
    8. Morbius - another one being wasted down the anti-hero path like venom, let him embrace his vampiric side and go full angelus.
    9. Electro
    10. Carnage - needs to ditch Venom and all these stupid mini series and get back to being spideys bad guy

Mighty Member

1. Doc Ock - Hands down the best villain in the Spidey mythos, and it isn't even close. He's been overplayed recently with Superior, but is still fantastic.
    2. Harry Osborn as GG - Norman, for whatever reason, gets all the love. But Harry was better in every way. And Spec #200 is still the single best issue of a Spidey comic ever. Period.
    3. Vulture - He doesn't really have any signature stories (maybe Life Theft, but that isn't good). But I love this guy. Through his weird youth stealing phase and everything.
    4. Mysterio - Ol' Fishbowl head. Great gimmick, amazing look. Everything about Mysterio is cool except his role in Spencer's Kindred Saga nonsense.
    5. Mr. Negative - The best new villain of the last 20 years. True, his best showing is in the Insomniac PS4 game, but he's the one good thing to come out of BND in my opinion.
    6. Hobgoblin, specifically the Phil Urich version - There was a lot to hate about Slott's run. But if you ignore the way he had to warp Phil to put him in this role, I loved this Goblin. Cool tech, the Lunatic Laugh, and the anti-Peter dual identity. This is probably the most controversial pick on my list, but I'll stand by it. Shame Superior wasted him.
    7. White Rabbit - Because what's not to love? I would love to see a deeper dive into this character by a writer that gave a damn in the modern period.
    8. Cardiac - Anti-villain, maybe? But much more effective than somebody like Venom in the role.
    9. Kaine - more of Ben Reilly villain than a pure Spidey one, and I much prefer his post-Spider-Island developments. But Kaine had a cool gimmick, a great presence, and was well used by and large even when the Clone Saga got dragged out to hell and back again.
    10. Rhino - I'm a sucker for the archtype. Big, dumb, and unstoppable. Same reason I love the Juggernaut, only less red.

Extraordinary Member

I don't have a real order to them but my ten favourites would be:

Green Goblin (Norman)
    Dr. Octopus
    Carnage
    Scorpion
    Morlun (mainly when written by JMS)
    Alistaire Smythe
    Electro
    Shocker
    Lizard
    Rhino