Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    NASA is finally at least beginning to address this kind of potential threat:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-da...etary-defense/
    Colour me curious to how that turns out.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Colour me curious to how that turns out.
    Me too. It'll go slowly until there's an actual threat. Then, money makes the world go 'round. Until something really big hits and stops all of that. :-)
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Me too. It'll go slowly until there's an actual threat. Then, money makes the world go 'round. Until something really big hits and stops all of that. :-)
    The important thing is that when it happens, Space Force is on the clock
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Technically the meteor didn't kill the dinosaurs anyway, still have birds.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    There's a comment to be made here about the current climate crisis which kind of undercuts this somewhat.
    Eh, already addressed, but I still feel like adding, "Actual, physical, nukable target that is absolutely gunning straight for my fleet of oil rigs, I can look right at it through a telescope" is a fair sight more tangible of a motivation than "Hmm, I might have to crank the AC up a bit more in my retirement home".

Although I don't doubt the sentiment, there's gunna be a lot of bullshittery probably gumming up the works one way or another.

Does make me wonder, if humanity gets slagged, if we'll see another sapient species rise up eventually, or if the timescales necessary for those odds to happen will go beyond the window life has left on the planet.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Eh, already addressed, but I still feel like adding, "Actual, physical, nukable target that is absolutely gunning straight for my fleet of oil rigs, I can look right at it through a telescope" is a fair sight more tangible of a motivation than "Hmm, I might have to crank the AC up a bit more in my retirement home".

Although I don't doubt the sentiment, there's gunna be a lot of bullshittery probably gumming up the works one way or another.

Does make me wonder, if humanity gets slagged, if we'll see another sapient species rise up eventually, or if the timescales necessary for those odds to happen will go beyond the window life has left on the planet.
    If there's one thing I've learnt from the various industries I've worked in, there is always someone trying to work an angle.

Americans would definitely do a better job with the pandemic if the virus was as big as a bear so they could easily shoot it.

The octopi are fairly intelligent and have some ability to manipulate objects with their tentacles. They might have potential. In terms of sheer durability, maybe cockroaches could survive long enough to evolve into sapience.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    If there's one thing I've learnt from the various industries I've worked in, there is always someone trying to work an angle.
    "You realize we have to literally SAVE THE WORLD here, right?"

"Yeah, but, like, if we do make it through this, a guy's still gotta make a buck, amirite?"

V:

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Americans would definitely do a better job with the pandemic if the virus was as big as a bear so they could easily shoot it.
    Exactly! That's exactly what I'm sayin'! :V

What we really need is Fantastic Voyage tech, so the military can just gun the virus down in patient's bodies! :B

The octopi are fairly intelligent and have some ability to manipulate objects with their tentacles. They might have potential. In terms of sheer durability, maybe cockroaches could survive long enough to evolve into sapience.
    Eh, I'm skeptical on the bugs, they've had since pre-land-dwelling to get their **** together. Octopi, possibly, but as I understand it, their significantly short life-spans coupled with most parents not surviving to see their offspring are two big hurdles they'll have to jump over.

Maybe if dolphins survive and start adapting thumbs and legs.

"You realize we have to literally SAVE THE WORLD here, right?"

"Yeah, but, like, if we do make it through this, a guy's still gotta make a buck, amirite?"

V:
    I just realized, people would probably say things like "Okay, but maybe we can make it so the meteor only devastates *part* of the world (not ours)?" xD
    -Stephen McCranie

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    I just realized, people would probably say things like "Okay, but maybe we can make it so the meteor only devastates *part* of the world (not ours)?" xD
    now you're thinking with portals [capitalism]

Eh, I'm skeptical on the bugs, they've had since pre-land-dwelling to get their **** together.
    I think realistically bugs are actually so successful they don't need to evolve to be smarter. They already are so populous and are a part of food chains that they may in fact be exactly where they need to be, so they have no pressures to become better.
    -Stephen McCranie

Octopuses have the problem of being water creatures. Meaning they can never invent fire. Without fire, there is really no push towards full human intelligence. I could easily see them being bottlenecked at just below human intelligence because of that. Basically reaching the point where they can invent spears and simple rock tools and that's about it.

Bugs simply can't get big enough because their ability to process oxygen is so limited.

More likely, it would be something with grasping forelimbs that replaces us, because grasping forelimbs synergises with intelligence so well. I could see squirrels following our path to intelligence. Some lizards might become velociraptor types, and then move on to being basically dino-humans.

The path to human intelligence required a lot of things happening in order. First we developed grasping forelimbs because we were climbers. Then we moved back out of the trees and became throwers who never got tired chasing things under the african sun. This proved to be so successful, and synergised with intelligence so well, that we eventually went from standard primates with a gimmick, to what we are now.

That's not necessarily the only path to full human intelligence, but it's the only path that's succeeded so far.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Octopuses have the problem of being water creatures. Meaning they can never invent fire. Without fire, there is really no push towards full human intelligence. I could easily see them being bottlenecked at just below human intelligence because of that. Basically reaching the point where they can invent spears and simple rock tools and that's about it.
    Bah, once they figure out how to turn their ink into a kid form, it's only a few thousand years until they are holding Ink sports in massive colosseums for the cheering pleasure of the crowds!
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

hmph Roach overlords don't need grasping forelimbs when they have superior telekinetic powers.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

https://youtu.be/9kW0eh9tNgs

Simpsons agrees with you, sharp