Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would it be hard to believe that someone so pure of heart can also be a pervert?

Esp. if the person actually used to be an upstanding average citizen who's known to be usually very sensible and looks young and innocent.

This... is going to be a hard one to gauge, as everyone has their own taboos and concepts of what "perversion" is.

As the old joke goes:

"What's the difference between kinky and perverted?"

Kinky is where you use a feather. Perverted is if you use the whole chicken."

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

Anyway, the expression you're asking, that totally exists is if someone can have a pure heart, but a dirty mind.

Sure, why not.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Since you used the term 'Used to Be', that can also imply a personality change due to a mental disorder, dementia, or emotional/psychological trauma.

Aside from that, I read a newspaper article about a women who described how her father, who used to be very liberal, started to listen to conservative talk radio which lead to a descent into right wing conspiracy theories.

You never know what might change a person.

As for being double sided, everyone has an angel and devil on their shoulders. Anyone who has never caught themselves thinking about something they normally wouldn't think about isn't human. The trick is controlling those thoughts and acting only on the ones that make you a decent member of society.

Also the concept of young and innocent isn't. Young children are usually the most innocent of our lot, yet they are also the ones most likely to say and do things that make adults blush, even if they do them without understanding why it is not good to do so. Usually by imitating what they see and/or hear.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Retired

Pervert doesn't have a strong meaning for me anymore, because it's been used to condemn people who are doing no harm and justify violence toward them.

If the chicken is already dead, where's the harm? If the chicken is alive, that's animal abuse and shouldn't be tolerated.

What is pure of heart and what is perversion. Perversion usually denotes some sexual taste that is not usual. But that idea comes from a sexually repressive mindset. If someone's sexual taste is with a consenting adult, I say we shouldn't pass judgment.
    A pure heart sounds a little too religious for me as well.

An example from Tyranny would help.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    What is pure of heart and what is perversion. Perversion usually denotes some sexual taste that is not usual. But that idea comes from a sexually repressive mindset. If someone's sexual taste is with a consenting adult, I say we shouldn't pass judgment.
    A pure heart sounds a little too religious for me as well.

An example from Tyranny would help.
    I think we can agree the chicken qualifies, at least.

*shakes fist at Gonzo from the Muppets*
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Does being pure of heart really mean one can't be a pervert? A basically good person who has really bizarre sexual fantasies and likes can be a damn nice person. Of course, if that perversion means doing something nasty or evil to someone else, that's a deal breaker. It also may come down to the basic question of "Is thinking about it a sin?"
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Does being pure of heart really mean one can't be a pervert? A basically good person who has really bizarre sexual fantasies and likes can be a damn nice person. Of course, if that perversion means doing something nasty or evil to someone else, that's a deal breaker. It also may come down to the basic question of "Is thinking about it a sin?"
    Is that like "committed adultery in my heart"?

We'll leave out the bit about aquatic killer rabbits . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Is that like "committed adultery in my heart"?

We'll leave out the bit about aquatic killer rabbits . . .
    Seriously, pretty much.

It reminds of the "the ill-made knight" by TH White.

It's about Lancelot and in that version of the character he's acting so good, so perfect, so chivalrously, precisely cause he knows that deep down he's a very bad person.

It's all a mask to hide his flaws.

So i think i would answer the OP's question by an another one. Was that someone really so pure of heart in the first place? Or was that just your perception of that person?

The problem with your premise is that no one is “pure of heart”.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    The problem with your premise is that no one is “pure of heart”.
    And perversion is in the eye of the beholder.

It's like blasphemy, which can't really exist. (if there are no Gods, how can they be offended?)

Perversion can only be against arbitrary community standards.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And perversion is in the eye of the beholder.

It's like blasphemy, which can't really exist. (if there are no Gods, how can they be offended?)

Perversion can only be against arbitrary community standards.
    Concepts like "pure of heart" and "perversion" do not have set definitions. They do depend heavily on community standards, which are themselves inexactly defined. We're dealing with behaviors and beliefs on one end of a bell curve and the general question of these concepts being mutually exclusive is one that can be discussed even if no conclusion can ever be reached.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrannoraptor View Post
    Esp. if the person actually used to be an upstanding average citizen who's known to be usually very sensible and looks young and innocent.
    The Facebook world is bursting at the seams with self-important, virtue signaling scolds that are in it just for the likes. Religious bible thumper's are the best when they fall from grace.