Astonishing Member

Default Liefeld Killshot and artistic style

Was looking at previews of the upcoming Liefeld Cable/X-Force/Deadpool one shot. I have noticed that it is obviously still Liefeld but it is different. Is it more of a artistic change in style? It just seems less detailed than before. It really became apparent when looking at the covers of the special a majority are recent but one is obviously repurposed artwork from back in the day and for me the difference is obvious. Is this just a difference in inkers or just a young and hungry artist putting more effort into his work? Not attacking, I just really preferred his early work. He can draw any way he chooses. I was more curious if it is artistic change, or shows how different inkers change the look of the work.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Was looking at previews of the upcoming Liefeld Cable/X-Force/Deadpool one shot. I have noticed that it is obviously still Liefeld but it is different. Is it more of a artistic change in style? It just seems less detailed than before. It really became apparent when looking at the covers of the special a majority are recent but one is obviously repurposed artwork from back in the day and for me the difference is obvious. Is this just a difference in inkers or just a young and hungry artist putting more effort into his work? Not attacking, I just really preferred his early work. He can draw any way he chooses. I was more curious if it is artistic change, or shows how different inkers change the look of the work.
    His artwork in the early 90s wasn't terrible..it was on par for the times I guess...but it didn't take long for it to get bad..and declining ever since..just worse and worse over time..disproportionate bodies, lopsided faces..the weird hair, especially when it comes to women...almost nothing he draws looks like it's believably in motion..

His attention to detail is almost non-existent..

He did a cover with a lopsided faced Wolverine at the forefront..with a ridiculous, uneven amount of teeth between his canines..something like 9 teeth between them?

I've seen children draw Deadpool holding a gun better than this guy..it's like his art has steadily regressed the older he gets..like he's the comic art version of Benjamin Button..what he's doing now is like "not very good at art middle school kid drawing on his book cover" bad

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ColossusFan View Post
    His artwork in the early 90s wasn't terrible..it was on par for the times I guess...but it didn't take long for it to get bad..and declining ever since..just worse and worse over time..disproportionate bodies, lopsided faces..the weird hair, especially when it comes to women...almost nothing he draws looks like it's believably in motion..

His attention to detail is almost non-existent..

He did a cover with a lopsided faced Wolverine at the forefront..with a ridiculous, uneven amount of teeth between his canines..something like 9 teeth between them?

I've seen children draw Deadpool holding a gun better than this guy..it's like his art has steadily regressed the older he gets..like he's the comic art version of Benjamin Button..what he's doing now is like "not very good at art middle school kid drawing on his book cover" bad

This.
    As a pro artist with a few awards under my belt, I could write you a book on how awful his art is, but you summed it up much better and more concisely and with less profanity than I would have…

Incredible Member

Seeing Liefeld and artistic in the same sentence makes my eyes hurt.