Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Off Panel interview with Jonathan Hickman

Off Panel #324: The Box with Jonathan Hickman
    In this week's episode of Off Panel, writer Jonathan Hickman returns to talk about what's been happening in his world as of late. Hickman discusses this time of change, excitement levels, evolving how he does things, the recent X-Men retreat, his position at Marvel, his Substack for Three Worlds, Three Moons, the origins of that project, the greatness of Mike Huddleston and Mike Del Mundo, community, where things are headed, the positives and learnings from the X-Men experience, where Inferno fits in everything, and more.

00:24 Hickman: Covid delayed Inferno relaunch for months. We have writers that have being in a room 6 - 9 months. Scripts were written but we won`t see these books till February or March.
    Starting in January the next 2 years they know exactly what they are doing month after month. Very, very tight.

20 minutes in and he reiterates how good he feels about how hes leaving the x office and how he was able to accomplish some great things while at the x-office

He talks about being able to listen to the plans the xoffice has in store and wishing he was able to work on them as well, he seems very satisfied about the direction the xoffice is taking the brand.
    Last edited by Diammandis; 10-11-2021 at 08:02 AM.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    20 minutes in and he reiterates how good he feels about how hes leaving the x office and how he was able to accomplish some great things while at the x-office

He talks about being able to listen to the plans the xoffice has in store and wishing he was able to work on them as well, he seems very satisfied about the direction the xoffice is taking the brand.
    Pity he wasn't able to accomplish a choerent story from start to finish instead of wasting all of our time with filler that never went anywhere.

Hickman told that X-Men line sells significantly better than average Marvel books digitally.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Hickman told that X-Men line sells significantly better than average Marvel books digitally.
    Seems to line up with the ComiXology sales.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

00:24 Hickman: Covid delayed Inferno relaunch for months. We have writers that have being in a room 6 - 9 months. Scripts were written but we won`t see these books till February or March.
    Starting in January the next 2 years they know exactly what they are doing month after month. Very, very tight.
    This is good to know.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    Pity he wasn't able to accomplish a choerent story from start to finish instead of wasting all of our time with filler that never went anywhere.
    amn

Yeah, damn shame

Lines up w/ what we see.Aside from Amazing Spider-man and Batman(DC) X-men sells on top.Other books seem to vary though

Doesn't surprise me at all the x-men sells well digitally.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I find this refreshing and encouraging, especially after everything Marvel did to marginalize the X-Books back in 2015 during the big Inhumans push.

It also bodes well for the franchise once they enter the MCU.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

BANNED

Is it me or... Hickman's run lasted so little? I was expecting to get him on the director's chair for at least 5 years. His run was a true revolution.
    Marvel is making another big error. They just hate the X-Men.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 10-11-2021 at 01:23 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Really good interview, kinda surprised that no one mentioned that he wanted to do a Shonin Jump style method for the X-Line.

He wanted cheap disposable mystery trade paperbacks that cost 9.99 and you wouldn't know the contents it could have been X-Men or X-Factor or something else in the X-Universe.

Man that would have upended the comics industry if Marvel had the balls to go for it.

I also love how much he loves his collaborators and how much he wants to take care of them.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 10-13-2021 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Is it me or... Hickman's run lasted so little? I was expecting to get him on the director's chair for at least 5 years. His run was a true revolution.
    Marvel is making another big error. They just hate the X-Men.
    It feels like really nothing happened besides huge setups for the future. A little frustrating. I'm expecting the art and writing quality to change in the next months really quick and the X-Men fall back into oblivion of the marvel universe...

I don't care how Hickman or the other writers/editors try to spin it, this is a downer and basically has ruined the great potential Hickman's run promised to begin with. I honestly would have preferred him to finish the story he intended to tell to begin with. It was his set up, his concepts. The other writers preferring to hang on to his coattails[even in his absence] just rubs me the wrong way. If they had such great ideas, they should have written them, top to bottom. The whole concept of Krakoa as a nation was clearly set up to fall. Whether its in 3 years or 10. It sucks that we'll get a watered down version instead, purely because Marvel[and the lesser writers] want to stretch this out for profit.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I don't care how Hickman or the other writers/editors try to spin it, this is a downer and basically has ruined the great potential Hickman's run promised to begin with. I honestly would have preferred him to finish the story he intended to tell to begin with. It was his set up, his concepts. The other writers preferring to hang on to his coattails[even in his absence] just rubs me the wrong way. If they had such great ideas, they should have written them, top to bottom. The whole concept of Krakoa as a nation was clearly set up to fall. Whether its in 3 years or 10. It sucks that we'll get a watered down version instead, purely because Marvel[and the lesser writers] want to stretch this out for profit.
    Spitting, the fact that in every interview they keep interview we are told how Hickman loves this and everything is going great just makes it worse.