Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Pitch A Direction: Linda Danvers

For those who are fans/remember the Linda Danvers Supergirl, what direction would you pitch for her?

As the Earthborn Angel version of herself, Linda Danvers was always sort of the Superman Family's foot in the world of magic and the occult - an almost Vertigo-esque approach!

I'd bring that element back and make her the Super Family's representative on Shadowpact or Justice League Dark or whatever the main "magic" DC team is these days.

Ha! Maybe she could be "Flamebird," she is after all the only member of the Superman family to have a fire aesthetic. I know moving names around is contentious and there's probably a Batman character using that name right now, but I think Kara's taken back "Supergirl" pretty definitively, and it'd be hard to give Linda that title back. Just a stray thought!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Pick up where David left off. She’s a wanderer. I like the idea of “Flamebird” as her name. Make her the magic user of the group. Maybe give her the outfit from the end of the run, but change the white top to red. She is too good of a character to leave in limbo.

What would her relation to Kara be, if any?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For those who are fans/remember the Linda Danvers Supergirl, what direction would you pitch for her?
    North, Miss Tessmacher, North!

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    As the Earthborn Angel version of herself, Linda Danvers was always sort of the Superman Family's foot in the world of magic and the occult - an almost Vertigo-esque approach!

I'd bring that element back and make her the Super Family's representative on Shadowpact or Justice League Dark or whatever the main "magic" DC team is these days.

Ha! Maybe she could be "Flamebird," she is after all the only member of the Superman family to have a fire aesthetic. I know moving names around is contentious and there's probably a Batman character using that name right now, but I think Kara's taken back "Supergirl" pretty definitively, and it'd be hard to give Linda that title back. Just a stray thought!
    You won the thread. this is great.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post

I agree, she would be perfect in JLD.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Member of JL dark
    Flamebird
    Wearing the animated/and lowered powered comic white and blue outfit.

My favorite codename for her is Seraph. It has the angel connection, starts with an S and doesn't take Bette Kane's best codename.
    I'd have her as the Superfamily's supernatural expert and I'd love to see her appear regularly in either a mystic team or a Superfamily book (like Tynion's Tec run but for Superman).

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    My favorite codename for her is Seraph. It has the angel connection, starts with an S and doesn't take Bette Kane's best codename.
    I'd have her as the Superfamily's supernatural expert and I'd love to see her appear regularly in either a mystic team or a Superfamily book (like Tynion's Tec run but for Superman).
    That name is not bad at all

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This is retroactively restored as Kara's name that she uses on Earth. So my direction is back to where she started- as Linda Lee Danvers with the brown hair/wig who is secretly Supergirl.

Adekis and Factor pitch for Linda Danvers (I like the codename, 'Seraph') sounds an awesome take on the character. Superman does need a 'black sheep' of the Superman Family, someone who is not connected to the sci-fi/cosmic world and would serve as a doorway to Superman and family to supernatural stories.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

I'd have her not really have a set costume, but often wearing a version of the white top long-sleeve with that chevron over the back of her hand like the Matrix and first half of the PD run costume or short sleeves at times like the animated series. No cape; she's got the wings. Maybe even sometimes the Supergirl skirt in different colors and pants. But always the S shield. People could call her Earth Angel, but it's not really like her superhero name or anything that she goes by. She's just Linda.

I always wanted her to hang out and maybe even have a team that consisted of Jack Knight, Kyle Rayner, Blue Devil, Mirage, Faith, Aztek, Artemis, Jean-Paul Valley, Android Hourman, and Tomorrow Woman. Like they're superheroes and they can do cosmic stuff or supernatural or any other kinds of adventures, but they're very Gen X in attitude, that is - everyone forgets they exist and they like it that way. No drama, gets things done; they're just chill and not too flashy or super into costumes, though still represent their superhero status and ties.

You gotta have Buzz, Comet, Blithe and Linda's parents in a series for sure. A lot of what worked for PAD's series is he subverted a lot of "Super" expectations from Supergirl lore. That story's already been completed so no need to rehash, but Kara-Supergirl and Power Girl aren't really doing anything with old Supergirl lore so there's plenty of other elements to pull from that are wacky but would fit better with Linda than Kara and Karen.

No coming of age vibes. No self-discovery or fulling some destiny types of story arcs. Linda's passed that, but there should be a "where do I fit into this world" type of thing going for her, and by extension the aforementioned team above.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    This is retroactively restored as Kara's name that she uses on Earth. So my direction is back to where she started- as Linda Lee Danvers with the brown hair/wig who is secretly Supergirl.
    I meant as a separate character from Kara.

I love Linda and PAD's run on Supergirl.
    Lots of great ideas here.
    I would love for her to be Flamebird, but I wouldn't want to take it from Bette. Seraph suits her even better. Putting her in JLD is a brilliant idea.
    What we think about including her daughter with the Earth 1 Superman from the series finale? Maybe not in the beginning, but I feel like that's something that should be addressed down the road if her original history stands.