Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    I certainly think discussing things were happening at least with book editors, so I do believe most of the story and buy that Tynion did at least champion it with editorial. I also believe he is a big Tim and Steph fan and would have left their romance in tactic and had Tim come out to her differently than what we got here if he was driving the bus.

Regarding the powers/no powers thing. For me its about the chemistry between the characters and how well they tell the story. The issue that I'm trying to express here is that because Jay is getting powers and you can't hurt him, people who use the whole Women are kleenex angle with Lois can now point to Jay and will be like, see Jon can go full super in bed with him and not break Jay in bed.
    Yeah which is offensive for several reasons.

Man of steel/woman of Kleenex is connected to rape culture and that doesn’t really change if it’s two men. The idea that one can imagine an alien from the stars who can shoot fire from his eyes but people can’t imagine them being gentle during sex is problem at best and actively offensive at worst.

The implication becomes that the only way for sexual satisfaction is through traditional hard penetrative sex which is problematic on a lot of levels.

It’s always been a disgusting thing to say about Lois and Clark. Not just because it equates the value of their relationship and connection as being defined by the physical (when obviously while sex is a big part of their relationship it’s not the entire reason they are connected/attracted/with each other) and it’s just a plain ugly and misogynist view about sex. It takes a story about the impossible and instead of theorizing how his powers could bring her pleasure focuses solely on female bodily pain. It doesn’t take into consideration that maybe Clark loves being able to be there for her in that way especially given how much he loves her. Not to mention it implies there isn’t value in creativity sexually or in gentleness and restraint with a partner which, again, is problematic. It’s a terrible, misogynist “theory” that no one should be bringing up in any serious way.

So, yeah, I’m not thrilled to know that may become a Convo with Jon and Jay because there are also plenty of ways this theory becomes offensive when you are talking about two men. It still boils down sexual connection as being solely about penetration, it’s still heteronormative and it still enforces rape culture by implying that force and strength are absolute and implying there isn’t pleasure and satisfaction to be be found in gentleness, love and creativity.

Thanks I hate it!
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 10-15-2021 at 12:43 PM.