Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Frankly, I'm not sure I believe this last part especially considering the high-profile IP involved. It makes for a great story of "sticking it to the man to do the right thing" but I suspect it is simply that, a good story. I think this was a very calculated move by all levels involved from the start.
    if this was pre planned grand scheme.Bendis would have been leaving clues and moments left,right and centre.Considering the guy comes of pretty blunt.Granted i am not that familiar with his writing.But,his jon had zero inkling of coming out.
    "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty and injustice! And my sons, and their sons, shall follow me!"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    if this was pre planned grand scheme.Bendis would have been leaving clues and moments left,right and centre.Considering the guy comes of pretty blunt.Granted i am not that familiar with his writing.But,his jon had zero inkling of coming out.
    Perhaps, but they did make Jon the new Superman which I argue could have been a big clue. The headline "Superman comes out as bisexual" has a much greater impact than "Superman's Son or Superboy comes out as bisexual", think about it.

Edit - Although I think the headline should have been "Superman comes out as gay" because, frankly, I don't ever see Jon dating women if this change is embraced by the audience. It is akin to how Wonder Woman is straight in actuality bisexual in name, the same goes for Catwoman. I do wonder how bisexual people feel about these lopsided portrayals of bisexual characters in comic books?
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-19-2021 at 12:53 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Perhaps, but they did make Jon the new Superman which I argue could have been a big clue. The headline "Superman comes out as bisexual" has a much greater impact than "Superman's Son or Superboy comes out as bisexual", think about it.
    But,that's not how the headlines are being done,as far as i can see.They use at best "dc's new superman comes out as bisexual".superman's son is still being touted.Many here have said that itself had more heavy impact.It being superman's son that caused the "discussions".Heck!His book is "son of kal el".
    "I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, cruelty and injustice! And my sons, and their sons, shall follow me!"

Speaking of Bendis, I saw a tweet he posted noting that he had friends, colleagues, etc. congratulating him on Jon's outing. He played it off like, nah thats Taylor's thing guys, and it was just ill informed reactions but a conspiracy theorist may say otherwise.

But then again, he also said people were asking him how he ever got Marvel to go along with it, so there's that...
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 10-19-2021 at 09:09 AM.
    "There is nothing quite so perfect as the exact way in which comics combine the word and image." --Alan Moore
    "Before it was a Bomb, the Bomb was an Idea. Superman, however, was a Faster, Stronger, Better Idea." --Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't care.I am not into business side.I like stories.if the guys don't do market study and don't know their audience that's on them.Regardless,I wouldn't lose my mind if any superman in my story turns out to a giant pink elephant.
    Well that is part of it when something is so didactic that it breaks the story aspect to preach and lecture or even set a marker for a marketing demographic that leaves some (an unquantifiable amount) to wonder when the stories will be told.
    And if the whole wide world stops singing
    And all the stars go dark
    I'll turn a light on in my soul
    And keep the bluebird in my heart

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I don't see what valid reason there would be for Jon not to be bi.
    Neither do I but the world is a big place. I'll entertain the notion that a valid argument might be out there somewhere. We won't find it on Fox, but it's possible there's a argument that isn't just homophobia in a thin disguise.

If nothing else, I can appreciate the argument that all this attention on Jon's orientation is, while welcome, a decade too late to be truly cutting edge and is now just riding the trend, trying to be on the right side of history long after the right side was already recognized.

I'm much more interested in the idea of Jon tackling real, root problems than I am his orientation. I've seen the "hero comes out of the closet" story, and while we need more LBGT+ characters in Big 2 comics and I'll always support the effort (when it's done well), this is far from new. But Jon dealing with something like climate change? Haven't seen that very often.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm much more interested in the idea of Jon tackling real, root problems than I am his orientation. But Jon dealing with something like climate change? Haven't seen that very often.
    So am I, I'm more interested in the villains hes fighting, interesting villains who represent the problems can lead to good stories. If hes dealing with real issues maybe he'll deal with energy resources like nuclear power as in Nuclear Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    So am I, I'm more interested in the villains hes fighting, interesting villains who represent the problems can lead to good stories. If hes dealing with real issues maybe he'll deal with energy resources like nuclear power as in Nuclear Man?
    Same here, I couldn't care less about his sexual orientation. The one plus I will give Jon being bisexual (along with his activism) is it helps set him apart from daddy dearest which he has desperately needed up until this point.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    Well that is part of it when something is so didactic that it breaks the story aspect to preach and lecture or even set a marker for a marketing demographic that leaves some (an unquantifiable amount) to wonder when the stories will be told.
    dude!where have you been?Have you read a superman comic?The guy made a career out of lectures..He's metropolis's dad.Jon so far has had zero "I am your light and shining example,Thou shall follow me as thy savior" moments.He's just doing his thing.The only abruption was caused by the age up,which was done badly.It's not something that can't be fixed.