Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Was Kansas used deliberately by Siegel and Shuster or was it just a random state that they picked?
    Clark's "home town" was unnamed.Heck!might have been metropolis itself..Kents and els where pretty irrelevant to his stories..Superboy changed all that
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Was Kansas used deliberately by Siegel and Shuster or was it just a random state that they picked?
    Kansas was first used in Superman the movie and made Smallville’s official location in Post Crisis and Elliot S. Maggie’s Last Son of Krypton

But it’s interesting to know that Kansas morals and history would make sense for a Golden Age (and in a sense Early New 52 Superman or Superman Birthright) more than people realize or give credit for.

https://www.cbr.com/superboy-smallville-kansas-canon/
    Last edited by ironman2978; 10-18-2021 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    Kansas was first used in Superman the movie and made Smallville’s official location in Post Crisis and Elliot S. Maggie’s Last Son of Krypton

But it’s interesting to know that Kansas morals and history would make sense for a Golden Age (and in a sense Early New 52 Superman or Superman Birthright) more than people realize or give credit for.

https://www.cbr.com/superboy-smallville-kansas-canon/
    This. It's more about the irony of the comparison - it wasn't picked by anyone before S:TM. It's just an amazingly happy coincidence that it matches up so well.

But thank you for this link, btw! I knew most of this, but hadn't heard that Iowa was one of the places named!! Not bad, considering both Brandon Routh and George Reeves were born here (as was I).
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Arrow

I can't believe people are still talking about this and (to some degree) debating the issue. No offense but I've always viewed sexual orientation as akin to your natural hair color or favorite sandwich just something that is.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Censorship Sucks

When I got into comics, people use to come on message boards and debate the breaking of batman or if Bruce Wayne was really a murderer. Now they debate Superboy coming out as bisexual. 2021 is so boring.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    When I got into comics, people use to come on message boards and debate the breaking of batman or if Bruce Wayne was really a murderer. Now they debate Superboy coming out as bisexual. 2021 is so boring.
    It doesn't help that the last four major runs were about the breaking of Bruce Wayne.

Clark having a bi son is much newer ground to break.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I can't believe people are still talking about this and (to some degree) debating the issue. No offense but I've always viewed sexual orientation as akin to your natural hair color or favorite sandwich just something that is.
    And comics aren't drawn and written by people but grow out of the ground. The agency people are taking about is the marketing choices being made by DC poised as ethical ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    Major characters being queer is still groundbreaking.
    I hope someday fair diversity is so commonplace that it's no longer newsworthy. We're getting there, but we're not there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    ....The agency people are taking about is the marketing choices being made by DC poised as ethical ones.
    Companies are about making money, not ethics. Everything they do is calculated to benefit themselves. If anyone needs any further evidence of the truth of my statement see the recent revelations about Facebook. Whenever a large company cloaks itself in humanitarianism I admit I become highly suspicious because often a sleight of hand trick is taking place; focus on my left hand while my right hand picks your pocket.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-18-2021 at 08:07 PM.

Yes, companies are run by profit motive ..That also means they have to give into customer demand and market inorder to make that choice.Representation seems to do that.you don't need to see the company as humanitarian.Just the market..
    Regardless,taylor and co said it was their decision and not even the higher ups where immediately informed.Heck!i don't think even bendis knows.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yes, companies are run by profit motive ..That also means they have to give into customer demand and market inorder to make that choice.Representation seems to do that.you don't need to see the company as humanitarian.Just the market..
    Regardless,taylor and co said it was their decision and not even the higher ups where immediately informed.Heck!i don't think even bendis knows.
    One only guesses that that is true about representation. There has been some success cases in that over at Marvel but also fails. I wish there was a better accounting of this phenom that could quantify these assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    One only guesses that that is true about representation. There has been some success cases in that over at Marvel but also fails. I wish there was a better accounting of this phenom that could quantify these assumptions.
    I don't care.I am not into business side.I like stories.if the guys don't do market study and don't know their audience that's on them.Regardless,I wouldn't lose my mind if any superman in my story turns out to a giant pink elephant.

Frankly, I'm not sure I believe this last part especially considering the high-profile IP involved. It makes for a great story of "sticking it to the man to do the right thing" but I suspect it is simply that, a good story. I think this was a very calculated move by all levels involved from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Frankly, I'm not sure I believe this last part especially considering the high-profile IP involved. It makes for a great story of "sticking it to the man to do the right thing" but I suspect it is simply that, a good story. I think this was a very calculated move by all levels involved from the start.
    if this was pre planned grand scheme.Bendis would have been leaving clues and moments left,right and centre.Considering the guy comes of pretty blunt.Granted i am not that familiar with his writing.But,his jon had zero inkling of coming out.

if this was pre planned grand scheme.Bendis would have been leaving clues and moments left,right and centre.Considering the guy comes of pretty blunt.Granted i am not that familiar with his writing.But,his jon had zero inkling of coming out.
    Perhaps, but they did make Jon the new Superman which I argue could have been a big clue. The headline "Superman comes out as bisexual" has a much greater impact than "Superman's Son or Superboy comes out as bisexual", think about it.

Edit - Although I think the headline should have been "Superman comes out as gay" because, frankly, I don't ever see Jon dating women if this change is embraced by the audience. It is akin to how Wonder Woman is straight in actuality bisexual in name, the same goes for Catwoman. I do wonder how bisexual people feel about these lopsided portrayals of bisexual characters in comic books?
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-19-2021 at 12:53 PM.