Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

I feel like everybody always get caught up in the announcement. What matters is what DC actually does with this development, is it gimmick? Maybe but it all depends on the stories and effort DC is willing to put behind it.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm not so sure about that lol. I've often seen people over the years say they hate romance (hetero or otherwise) and prefer only action. The whole "so and so should not get engaged or married or have kids because it'll "ruin" the character" argument is quite a common one in the fandom.
    That seems more aimed at marrying the heroes off and making them "older," because of it. But some Spider-Man fans still want him to date several hot women, just not marry any of them. There are negative responses to romances, but straight romances without the threat of marriage don't seem to get as much pushback as married ones or queer ones that barely get off the ground.

Incredible Member

Real romantic relationships that are honest have long been a problem for both
    comics and other media presentations.

Couples that are together have romantic love, but also have spats, quarrel with
    one another. Often over ridiculous stupid things. It will be interesting to see if the
    Jon relationship will be a real one, or too perfect. The Kelly-Alex relationship on Supergirl
    would be an example of a relationship that never feels real.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Of course he's being replaced. Just because he's still around doesn't mean he's not still having his best known attributes and things that make him tick being taken from him for someone else. Secret ID, Earth, Metropolis, powers, that's all Jon's now. Well not secret ID, they're not giving Jon one of those, but it was still taken away from Kal. Superman is aging, losing his powers, and being cast as the old guard. Yes he still has Action, but its telling a story of his decline and moving onto something "new".
    Utterly ludicrous no one is replacing the original Superman he’s very much around still. You sound like that character in the Simpsons who used to say won’t anyone think of the children any kind of change was proposed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    If one of the Trinity came out (and Diana has been low key bi for awhile anyways) you’d hear even more cries of “don’t change an established character, create a new one”
    So they have Jon, who’s young without much romantic history, come out and people complain anyways.
    I’d argue the two highest profile non-straight DC characters are Harley & Ivy.
    Last edited by Top Hat; 10-19-2021 at 09:31 AM.

Astonishing Member

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    I'm sorry but comparing Jon Kent as the Superman's analogue for Miles Morales is just laughable and exagerating too much and its not the same thing.

I'm fine with the Bi Jon while getting attention for new readers but realistically would still not improve sales if doesn't perform well and this news feels more than your usual "Came out character for PR reasons and media buzz" and since Comic Books is and always be a niche genre.

Jon Kent WILL still bei De-Aged in some form in the future (which my instincts and guts still believe it will happen) and Current Jon would still exist in another form or shape just to balance both sides of the Jon fans without alienating one another as a safe bet. They wouldn't erase his sexuality but they could keep it as queer coded pre-teens still exist.
    I keep see people going on about de-aging him and I say no thanks. I have no interest in reading about kid characters.

Not reading all these pages here, but....

I'm glad Jon is coming out. I'm glad for his fans, the LBGT+ community at large...and the fact that certain political voices are in an uproar over it is, far as I'm concerned, proof that this is the right move. When "those" politicians start whining, you know you're doing something right. I totally support this.

But I also find that I really don't care. Is that insensitive of me? Jon is bi. And I just don't think it's a big deal. I mean, we obviously need more representation like this, and Jon is as close as DC has gotten to making a major character LBGT. It matters, I'm sure it's a big deal for our LBGT+ friends, and I'm absolutely not saying this isn't important.

But it would have mattered a whole lot more ten years ago. Twenty. It would've been groundbreaking and a major line in the sand back then but I look at this today and all I see is a gimmick. I'm sure Taylor and other creators believe in this story and their hearts are behind it (as it should be) but it very much feels like for DC at large, this is just them riding the "trend wave" yknow? We should support this of course, but it feels....kinda artificial?

I dunno. I'm glad DC is branching out and being more inclusive and I support the sh*t out of that, but I also kind of hate the fact that stuff like this is still so rare, so uncommon among the major characters, that it's a headline that'll catch the attention of major news outlets. Being LBGT+ just.....it needs to be more normalized than this. Maybe the reaction to this announcement has just really highlighted, for me, how far we have yet to go.

In any case, my doldrum aside, I *am* happy for everyone. This is a big win for us. I just wish we were in a world where Jon Kent being bi wasn't seen as such a big deal, if that makes sense?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Lol of course Dean wants to weigh in.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    Real romantic relationships that are honest have long been a problem for both
    comics and other media presentations.

Couples that are together have romantic love, but also have spats, quarrel with
    one another. Often over ridiculous stupid things. It will be interesting to see if the
    Jon relationship will be a real one, or too perfect. The Kelly-Alex relationship on Supergirl
    would be an example of a relationship that never feels real.
    Relationships are complex and should be portrayed as complex. I haven't been watching Supergirl since the move to CW.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I'm not so sure about that lol. I've often seen people over the years say they hate romance (hetero or otherwise) and prefer only action. The whole "so and so should not get engaged or married or have kids because it'll "ruin" the character" argument is quite a common one in the fandom.
    What I heard is that romance is badly written and characters often randomly sleep with other charcters just for sake of it. Romance often gets cheap on comics.
    Also sometimes they are dropped so fast after tseries cancelled or writers change.
    Last edited by Writerblog; 10-12-2021 at 01:24 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    "Superman: Son of Kal-El #9"

What happened?
    "Cable was right!"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    I keep see people going on about de-aging him and I say no thanks. I have no interest in reading about kid characters.
    Everybody has their own likes and preferences. You don't like kid characters. Fine, don't read them. But just because you don't like them doesn't mean other people don't or that they shouldn't exist.

I and many other people are firmly in the camp that want Jon to be de-aged, and I'm not in the mood to give up on that goal.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Everybody has their own likes and preferences. You don't like kid characters. Fine, don't read them. But just because you don't like them doesn't mean other people don't or that they shouldn't exist.

I and many other people are firmly in the camp that want Jon to be de-aged, and I'm not in the mood to give up on that goal.
    Very much agree. Most of the Families at DC have at least one or two kids there, kind of the point of Robin in the first place. So I'm with you on not giving up De aging Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    You have Kon, Mon El, Natasha Irons, John Henry, Clark, and Kara all as adults or young adults. Why can't Jon be young?

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Writerblog View Post
    Relationships are complex and should be portrayed as complex. I haven't been watching Supergirl since the move to CW.

What I heard is that romance is badly written and characters often randomly sleep with other charcters just for sake of it. Romance often gets cheap on comics.
    Also sometimes they are dropped so fast after tseries cancelled or writers change.
    And thats part of it too. Writer thinks they're hot, wants them to have sex, does it and it fizzles out fast after. Because most don't get a slow burn.