Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    This dude is a clown, Jon can still do everything he described. His series only has like what 3 issues?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Who the hell is Dean Cain?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    You have Kon, Mon El, Natasha Irons, John Henry, Clark, and Kara all as adults or young adults. Why can't Jon be young?
    This. Aside from the literal TONS of teenage/young adult heroes we already have, there's already quite a few of them within the Superfamily. Jon had a nice thing going on by being one of the very few child heroes in DC. That's a really unique perspective as a superhero and they failed to capitalize on that. He had plenty of time to grow up, and I would have loved to see that growth (though I'd hate if he still wound up being the discount Clark that he is now) but instead they rushed it and now there's just....nothing all that special about him. He's just another head in the overcrowded clouds.

Seeing young heroes get to grow up and change over time is something Marvel's pretty damn awesome at doing (though...not perfect). Characters like Kitty Pryde, Jubilee, the Power Pack, and the Runaways are great examples. That's the kind of development I like seeing in comics.

Meanwhile DC hasn't been able to properly pull that off since Dick's generation. Hell, they won't even let Tim and his friends grow up, but they'll rush to the finish line with Jon and the characters in his circle (Yes, I have problems with Jackson being Aquaman so soon too. And I still hate that Yara's in her 20s, even if everything else about her is perfect)
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-12-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Not reading all these pages here, but....

I'm glad Jon is coming out. I'm glad for his fans, the LBGT+ community at large...and the fact that certain political voices are in an uproar over it is, far as I'm concerned, proof that this is the right move. When "those" politicians start whining, you know you're doing something right. I totally support this.

But I also find that I really don't care. Is that insensitive of me? Jon is bi. And I just don't think it's a big deal. I mean, we obviously need more representation like this, and Jon is as close as DC has gotten to making a major character LBGT. It matters, I'm sure it's a big deal for our LBGT+ friends, and I'm absolutely not saying this isn't important.

But it would have mattered a whole lot more ten years ago. Twenty. It would've been groundbreaking and a major line in the sand back then but I look at this today and all I see is a gimmick. I'm sure Taylor and other creators believe in this story and their hearts are behind it (as it should be) but it very much feels like for DC at large, this is just them riding the "trend wave" yknow? We should support this of course, but it feels....kinda artificial?

I dunno. I'm glad DC is branching out and being more inclusive and I support the sh*t out of that, but I also kind of hate the fact that stuff like this is still so rare, so uncommon among the major characters, that it's a headline that'll catch the attention of major news outlets. Being LBGT+ just.....it needs to be more normalized than this. Maybe the reaction to this announcement has just really highlighted, for me, how far we have yet to go.

In any case, my doldrum aside, I *am* happy for everyone. This is a big win for us. I just wish we were in a world where Jon Kent being bi wasn't seen as such a big deal, if that makes sense?
    I think this pretty much summarizes my thoughts.

A couple of years back I defended this sort of stuff on these boards (i.e during the comicsgate fiasco) but at this stage it just seems a little hollow to me.

With the Facebook stuff and the OAN revelation (i.e that they are owned by AT&T), it just seems that some folks are taking advantage of these culture wars. As a minority, a lot of this is becoming a little troubling to me.

Then again, more representation is always welcome in my book. I think I'm just getting old and cynical.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-12-2021 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I think this pretty much summarizes my thoughts.

A couple of years back I defended this sort of stuff on these boards (i.e during the comicsgate fiasco) but at this stage it just seems a little hollow to me.

With the Facebook stuff and the OAN revelation (i.e that they are owned by AT&T), it just seems that some folks are taking advantage of these culture wars. As a minority, a lot of this is becoming a little troubling to me.

Then again, more representation is always welcome in my book. I think I'm just getting old and cynical.
    At&T owned WB/DC for years. It's capitalism, if they can win money on both side they will do it
    AT&T still owns Majority of WB, I thought they would sell to discovery but no, it is just a merger with AT&T owning 70% of the company.
    So this new of the company owning OAN is baffling and revolting
    Last edited by Writerblog; 10-12-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

No one cares.
    Assassinate Putin!

And thats part of it too. Writer thinks they're hot, wants them to have sex, does it and it fizzles out fast after. Because most don't get a slow burn.
    So many books get canceled on 6 issues, it becomes really hard to do slow burn romances.

A lot of the public will be surprised whenever it is announced that Jon is on another planet now or in the 25th and a half century and the "real" Clark Kent Superman is back. Clark is just way too famous with the general public to make this stick. (...and Aunt May never will stay dead either...)

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Writerblog View Post
    So many books get canceled on 6 issues, it becomes really hard to do slow burn romances.
    And thats why they need to actually let these books have a chance longer than 6 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    This. Aside from the literal TONS of teenage/young adult heroes we already have, there's already quite a few of them within the Superfamily. Jon had a nice thing going on by being one of the very few child heroes in DC. That's a really unique perspective as a superhero and they failed to capitalize on that. He had plenty of time to grow up, and I would have loved to see that growth (though I'd hate if he still wound up being the discount Clark that he is now) but instead they rushed it and now there's just....nothing all that special about him. He's just another head in the overcrowded clouds.

Seeing young heroes get to grow up and change over time is something Marvel's pretty damn awesome at doing (though...not perfect). Characters like Kitty Pryde, Jubilee, the Power Pack, and the Runaways are great examples. That's the kind of development I like seeing in comics.

Meanwhile DC hasn't been able to properly pull that off since Dick's generation. Hell, they won't even let Tim and his friends grow up, but they'll rush to the finish line with Jon and the characters in his circle (Yes, I have problems with Jackson being Aquaman so soon too. And I still hate that Yara's in her 20s, even if everything else about her is perfect)
    This sums it up for me too. You want younger and newer readers, you need to hit the kids and let that character grow up with the readers. YJ before the Reboot was actually doing that better, we had them graduated and moving on, we have characters like Tim who grew up with a lot of 90s kids.

Younger kids need to have their own young heros.

This sums it up for me too. You want younger and newer readers, you need to hit the kids and let that character grow up with the readers. YJ before the Reboot was actually doing that better, we had them graduated and moving on, we have characters like Tim who grew up with a lot of 90s kids.

Younger kids need to have their own young heros.
    It is downright baffling how stagnated Tim's generation has become when the current comics point out that their old YJ and Titans runs still happened. Those are the guys I wanna see as adults right now. Not Jon. Of the four sons I have on my avatar right now, they picked the wrong damn one! Which is funny because Bart actually went through some VERY similar bullshit back in the day.
    Last edited by Blue22; 10-12-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    It is downright baffling how stagnated Tim's generation has become when the current comics point out that their old YJ and Titans runs still happened. Those are the guys I wanna see as adults right now. Not Jon. Of the four sons I have on my avatar right now, they picked the wrong damn one! Which is funny because Bart actually went through some VERY similar bullshit back in the day.
    Oh I remember that, and then they killed him to bring back Wally. Which upset Wally fans because of the whole, only one flash rule thing or some BS going on. Oh and yeah after he got aged up he was dating and sleeping with a colleague of his as a 20 year old college.

One thing to note too was that they rushed his relationship with that girl too and I think she had a hand in his death.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Lol of course Dean wants to weigh in.
    Fox & Friends is a joke. It must really tickle their pickle that they have their own private "Superman" on call to come own the libs whenever they ring the bell.

And the fact that Cain always admits he doesn't (and hasn't) read comics is hilarious to me; if someone admittedly didn't study the subject they've been called upon to discuss their comments are automatically invalid.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

I’m thrilled for the many fans who will feel seen by this news and I welcome this kind of representation in the book. I saw someone say today that it’s hard to understand the impact of having the child of two cultural icons like Clark Kent and Lois Lane have an openly queer child and I hope the impact is felt and that it’s handled with the utmost care.

That said, Tom Taylor’s interviews have been an absolute disaster today. Like just unreal disaster.

First off, Tom referring to Clark as a “white savior” and then implying Jon is not one. For starters, “white savior” is a very specific term that refers to a white character that is specifically employed in a condescending way against minorities. It does not just refer to any male character who is white. And it’s a truly horrible misuse of the term for a character like Superman who was created by Jews and is an allegory for the Jewish diaspora. Finally, Jon is also white. He’s still white. So strike one, Tom. Embarrassing. In his attempt to seem racially progressive, he made a super racially insensitive comment because Jon Kent is still white even if he’s queer.

Two, Taylor’s comments on Lois, in particular today, have been ragingly sexist and inappropriate.

As someone on Twitter said tonight, you can fight back against the homophobia that Jon will undoubtedly experience without engaging in misogynist revision about his literal mother. You do not score points for being sexist here and a straight white creator trying to look good propping up a queer relationship by insulting the Female icon of the franchise is A bad look.

Among other offenses, Taylor felt the need to imply that Lois wasn’t “proactive” in the Superman franchise (a bold faced revision and lie), that she was “mainly a damsel.” (She was created as a hard nosed reporter in 1938 and denigrating her history as a damsel is insulting AF) and then going on to basically say that the relationship with Jay would be more “equal” because Jay will develop superpowers soon.

Look. It should not have to be explained here why it was completely inappropriate for Taylor to talk about Lois like this while trying to promote this. It is extremely toxic and disingenuous to imply as Taylor did that only physical similarities make people equal just as it’s extremely disingenuous to imply that it’s bad to be able to rely on a partner. Further, it’s homophobic to deny Jon/Jay the ability to lean on each other and/or rely on each other because it’s two men. Frankly, it would be more progressive to actually let Jon Save his male love interest rather than acting like that’s beneath them.
    Sexism and homophobia are linked in many ways and you don’t score points for one because you engage in the other. It’s actually not ok for him to take a giant dump all over Jon’s mother bc he’s trying to make Jay look great in comparison. That’s ugly. Lois Lane is an icon and she’s still a woman and these are men no matter their sexuality. That’s not ok. That’s not progressive and it’s ugly behavior coming from the guy who literally wrote Injustice.

So I’m all in for Jon Kent and I pray DC treats him with the care he deserves. But Tom Taylor’s misguided comments today are a red flag and this is the reason we say it’s suspicious when white straight men try to lead “progressive” movements like this. So I appreciate what he’s doing, I’m here for Jon and I look forward to a bisexual creator taking the reins going forward.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 10-12-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I’m thrilled for the many fans who will feel seen by this news and I welcome this kind of representation in the book. I saw someone say today that it’s hard to understand the impact of having the child of two cultural icons like Clark Kent and Lois Lane have an openly queer child and I hope the impact is felt and that it’s handled with the utmost care.

That said, Tom Taylor’s interviews have been an absolute disaster today. Like just unreal disaster.

First off, Tom referring to Clark as a “white savior” and then implying Jon is not one. For starters, “white savior” is a very specific term that refers to a white character that is specifically employed in a condescending way against minorities. It does not just refer to any male character who is white. And it’s a truly horrible misuse of the term for a character like Superman who was created by Jews and is an allegory for the Jewish diaspora. Finally, Jon is also white. He’s still white. So strike one, Tom. Embarrassing. In his attempt to seem racially progressive, he made a super racially insensitive comment because Jon Kent is still white even if he’s queer.

Two, Taylor’s comments on Lois, in particular today, have been ragingly sexist and inappropriate.

As someone on Twitter said tonight, you can fight back against the homophobia that Jon will undoubtedly experience without engaging in misogynist revision about his literal mother. You do not score points for being sexist here and a straight white creator trying to look good propping up a queer relationship by insulting the Female icon of the franchise is A bad look.

Among other offenses, Taylor felt the need to imply that Lois wasn’t “proactive” in the Superman franchise (a bold faced revision and lie), that she was “mainly a damsel.” (She was created as a hard nosed reporter in 1938 and denigrating her history as a damsel is insulting AF) and then going on to basically say that the relationship with Jay would be more “equal” because Jay will develop superpowers soon.

Look. It should not have to be explained here why it was completely inappropriate for Taylor to talk about Lois like this while trying to promote this. It is extremely toxic and disingenuous to imply as Taylor did that only physical similarities make people equal just as it’s extremely disingenuous to imply that it’s bad to be able to rely on a partner. Further, it’s homophobic to deny Jon/Jay the ability to lean on each other and/or rely on each other because it’s two men. Frankly, it would be more progressive to actually let Jon Save his male love interest rather than acting like that’s beneath them.
    Sexism and homophobia are linked in many ways and you don’t score points for one because you engage in the other. It’s actually not ok for him to take a giant dump all over Jon’s mother bc he’s trying to make Jay look great in comparison. That’s ugly. Lois Lane is an icon and she’s still a woman and these are men no matter their sexuality. That’s not ok. That’s not progressive and it’s ugly behavior coming from the guy who literally wrote Injustice.

So I’m all in for Jon Kent and I pray DC treats him with the care he deserves. But Tom Taylor’s misguided comments today are a red flag and this is the reason we say it’s suspicious when white straight men try to lead “progressive” movements like this. So I appreciate what he’s doing, I’m here for Jon and I look forward to a bisexual creator taking the reins going forward.
    I don't have words, "White savior" as if Jon wasn't White, this misogyny with Lois, I'm full of this ****
    Last edited by Betinayen; 10-12-2021 at 06:50 PM.