Default Hey, where did Clark go to College? And, does he have any…

…living relatives on either Ma or Pa Kent’s side of the family?
    Speaking of, what was Ma Kent’s maiden name?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Speaking of, what was Ma Kent’s maiden name?
    Martha Clark.

College: Sometimes University of Metropolis, but personally I hate that and prefer Clark going to a college in Kansas.

No other living Kent relatives that we know of
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Depends on which version we're talking about. In some versions it's in Metropolis, in others it's a local college in Kansas. Or, in the case of things like Smallville, MOS, Earth One, and probably the Donner movie, no formal training whatsoever. In terms of relatives, it also depends on which version we're talking about. In Smallville Clark had a grandfather he never met until he was a teenager. In the 1950s he had an aunt. In some versions, a distant relative is used as an excuse for why they have Clark in the first place. I think the Donner version did that. Earth One did that. And, yes, Clark is Martha's maiden name.
    Assassinate Putin!

Oh cool, ty very much, guys!

Retired

Now? In current continuity? I haven't a clue. Whatever is in or out I have no idea with the present Superman. But back in the day during the classic years, there was a whole lot of stories about Clark's in-between years spent at Metropolis U. I researched all the stories I could find and posted a list on the "Super...All Planets" topic, not that long ago. I won't make you go there to find it (but it would be nice if you did); I'll just re-post it here for you.

Clark Kent's Super In-Between Years:
    (collect them all)

SUPERMAN 53 (July-August 1948)--1st story, "The Origin of Superman" by Bill Finger, Wayne Boring and Stan Kaye [brief recap]
    ACTION COMICS 158 (July 1951)--1st story, "The Kid from Krypton" by Edmond Hamilton, Boring and Kaye [brief recap]

SUPERMAN 97 (May 1955)--3rd story, "Superboy's Last Day In Smallville" by Jerry Coleman, Boring and Kaye
    SUPERMAN 125 (November 1958)--2nd story, "Clark Kent's College Days" by Coleman and Al Plastino
    SUPERMAN 129 (May 1959)--3rd story, "The Girl in Superman's Past" by Finger, Boring and Kaye
    SUPERMAN 146 (July 1961)--1st story, "The Story of Superman's Life" by Binder and Plastino
    SUPERMAN 161 (May 1963)--1st story, "The Last Days of Ma and Pa Kent" by Leo Dorfman and Plastino
    SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND, LOIS LANE 55 (February1964)--1st story, "Lois Lane's College Scoop" by Dorfman and Schaffenberger [in flashback, Raleigh College, no Clark]

ACTION COMICS 393 (October 1970)--2nd story, "The Day Superboy Became Superman" by Dorfman (as Geoff Browne), Andru and Esposito
    ACTION COMICS 403 (August 1971)--2nd story "The Man With the X-Ray Mind" by Dorfman (as Browne), Swan and Anderson
    ACTION COMICS 404 (September 1971)--4th story, "The Day They Killed Clark Kent" by Dorfman (as Browne), Swan and Anderson
    ACTION COMICS 408 (January 1972)--2nd story, "The Shocking Secret of Super-X" by Bates, Swan and Anderson
    ACTION COMICS 410 (March 1972)--2nd story, "Healing Hands from Beyond" by Bates, Calnan and Anderson
    ACTION COMICS 411 (April 1972)--2nd story, "The Girl Who Worshipped Clark Kent" by Bates, Calnan and Anderson [in flashback, Lorna Martin]
    THE AMAZING WORLD OF SUPERMAN [Metropolis Edition] (1973)--"The Origin of Superman" by Bridwell, Infantino, Swan and Anderson
    DC SUPER STARS 12 (February 1977)--1st story, "Don't Call Me Superboy" by Bates, Swan and Anderson
    ACTION COMICS 500 (October1979)--"The Life Story of Superman" by Pasko, Swan and Chiaramonte

SUPERMAN 359 (May 1981)--2nd story, "The Last Time I Saw Smallville" by Rozakis, Swan and Giella
    SUPERMAN 362 (August 1981)--2nd story, "Metropolis: Day 1" by Rozakis, Schaffenberger and Adkins
    SUPERMAN 365 (November1981)--2nd story, "Where, Oh Where Has Superboy Gone?" by Rozakis, Schaffenberger and Chiaramonte
    SUPERMAN 366 (December 1981)--2nd story, "Perry White's Superboy Scoop" by Rozakis, Schaffenberger and Chiaramonte
    SUPERMAN 370 (April 1982)--2nd story, "Super-Visions from Beyond" by Rozakis, Schaffenberger and McLaughlin
    SUPERMAN 374 (August 1982)--2nd story, "Pete Ross' Crowning Achievement" by Rozakis, Schaffenberger and Hunt

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES 300 (June 1983)--"The Future is Forever" by Levitz, Giffen, Schaffenberger [alternate timeline]
    THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY 51 (March 1984)--reprints: "The Last Time I Saw Smallville"; "Metropolis: Day 1" [first part]; "Where, Oh Where Has Superboy Gone?"; "Perry White's Superboy Scoop"; cover art by Frank Miller
    SUPERMAN: THE SECRET YEARS 1 (February 1985)--"Dreams and Schemes and Feeling Proud" by Rozakis, Swan and Schaffenberger; cover art by Miller
    SUPERMAN: THE SECRET YEARS 2 (March1985)--"Reach Out and Touch" by Rozakis, Swan and Schaffenberger; cover art by Miller
    SUPERMAN: THE SECRET YEARS 3 (April 1985)--"Terminus" by Rozakis, Swan and Schaffenberger; cover art by Miller
    SUPERMAN: THE SECRET YEARS 4 (May 1985)--"Beyond Terminus" by Rozakis, Swan and Schaffenberger; cover art by Miller
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 11-11-2021 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Now? In current continuity? I haven't a clue. Whatever is in or out I have no idea with the present Superman. But back in the day during the classic years, there was a whole lot of stories about Clark's in-between years spent at Metropolis U. I researched all the stories I could find and posted a list on the "Super...All Planets" topic, not that long ago. I won't make you go there to find it (but it would be nice if you did); I'll just re-post it here for you.

Clark Kent's Super In-Between Years:
    (collect them all)

SUPERMAN 53 (July-August 1948)--1st story, "The Origin of Superman" by Bill Finger, Wayne Boring and Stan Kaye [brief recap]
    ACTION COMICS 158 (July 1951)--1st story, "The Kid from Krypton" by Edmond Hamilton, Boring and Kaye [brief recap]

SUPERMAN 97 (May 1955)--3rd story, "Superboy's Last Day In Smallville" by Jerry Coleman, Boring and Kaye
    SUPERMAN 125 (November 1958)--2nd story, "Clark Kent's College Days" by Coleman and Al Plastino
    SUPERMAN 129 (May 1959)--3rd story, "The Girl in Superman's Past" by Finger, Boring and Kaye
    SUPERMAN 146 (July 1961)--1st story, "The Story of Superman's Life" by Binder and Plastino
    SUPERMAN 161 (May 1963)--1st story, "The Last Days of Ma and Pa Kent" by Leo Dorfman and Plastino
    SUPERMAN'S GIRL FRIEND, LOIS LANE 55 (February1964)--1st story, "Lois Lane's College Scoop" by Dorfman and Schaffenberger [in flashback, Raleigh College, no Clark]

ACTION COMICS 393 (October 1970)--2nd story, "The Day Superboy Became Superman" by Dorfman (as Geoff Browne), Andru and Esposito
    ACTION COMICS 403 (August 1971)--2nd story "The Man With the X-Ray Mind" by Dorfman (as Browne), Swan and Anderson
    ACTION COMICS 404 (September 1971)--4th story, "The Day They Killed Clark Kent" by Dorfman (as Browne), Swan and Anderson
    ACTION COMICS 408 (January 1972)--2nd story, "The Shocking Secret of Super-X" by Bates, Swan and Anderson
    ACTION COMICS 410 (March 1972)--2nd story, "Healing Hands from Beyond" by Bates, Calnan and Anderson
    ACTION COMICS 411 (April 1972)--2nd story, "The Girl Who Worshipped Clark Kent" by Bates, Calnan and Anderson [in flashback, Lorna Martin]
    THE AMAZING WORLD OF SUPERMAN [Metropolis Edition] (1973)--"The Origin of Superman" by Bridwell, Infantino, Swan and Anderson
    DC SUPER STARS 12 (February 1977)--1st story, "Don't Call Me Superboy" by Bates, Swan and Anderson
    ACTION COMICS 500 (October1979)--"The Life Story of Superman" by Pasko, Swan and Chiaramonte

SUPERMAN 359 (May 1981)--2nd story, "The Last Time I Saw Smallville" by Rozakis, Swan and Giella
    SUPERMAN 362 (August 1981)--2nd story, "Metropolis: Day 1" by Rozakis, Schaffenberger and Adkins
    SUPERMAN 365 (November1981)--2nd story, "Where, Oh Where Has Superboy Gone?" by Rozakis, Schaffenberger and Chiaramonte
    SUPERMAN 366 (December 1981)--2nd story, "Perry White's Superboy Scoop" by Rozakis, Schaffenberger and Chiaramonte
    SUPERMAN 370 (April 1982)--2nd story, "Super-Visions from Beyond" by Rozakis, Schaffenberger and McLaughlin
    SUPERMAN 374 (August 1982)--2nd story, "Pete Ross' Crowning Achievement" by Rozakis, Schaffenberger and Hunt

LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES 300 (June 1983)--"The Future is Forever" by Levitz, Giffen, Schaffenberger [alternate timeline]
    THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY 51 (March 1984)--reprints: "The Last Time I Saw Smallville"; "Metropolis: Day 1" [first part]; "Where, Oh Where Has Superboy Gone?"; "Perry White's Superboy Scoop"; cover art by Frank Miller
    SUPERMAN: THE SECRET YEARS 1 (February 1985)--"Dreams and Schemes and Feeling Proud" by Rozakis, Swan and Schaffenberger; cover art by Miller
    SUPERMAN: THE SECRET YEARS 2 (March1985)--"Reach Out and Touch" by Rozakis, Swan and Schaffenberger; cover art by Miller
    SUPERMAN: THE SECRET YEARS 3 (April 1985)--"Terminus" by Rozakis, Swan and Schaffenberger; cover art by Miller
    SUPERMAN: THE SECRET YEARS 4 (May 1985)--"Beyond Terminus" by Rozakis, Swan and Schaffenberger; cover art by Miller
    Damn that’s awesome! Thank you.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Martha Clark.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Depends on which version we're talking about. In some versions it's in Metropolis, in others it's a local college in Kansas. Or, in the case of things like Smallville, MOS, Earth One, and probably the Donner movie, no formal training whatsoever. In terms of relatives, it also depends on which version we're talking about. In Smallville Clark had a grandfather he never met until he was a teenager. In the 1950s he had an aunt. In some versions, a distant relative is used as an excuse for why they have Clark in the first place. I think the Donner version did that. Earth One did that. And, yes, Clark is Martha's maiden name.
    Yeah, they also reference "Martha Clark Kent" in Superman the Movie, the scene where they find baby Kal in the wreckage.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 11-11-2021 at 06:17 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I prefer Birthright's notion of Clark collecting a variety of college credits from various places during his world travels, during which time he was already practicing journalism. That feels the most appropriate to me.

However, the Golden Age Clark never went to college and, in the Silver Age and Byrne reboot, Clark went to Metropolis University. In the Superboy TV show, he went to Shuster University in Florida.

Retired

As far as the relatives of Jonathan and Martha go, I've come across many in my reading, but I haven't been keeping track. Maybe that's another list I will have to make.

In Michael L. Fleisher's Superman Encyclopedia, a.k.a. THE GREAT SUPERMAN BOOK--in addition to the already mentioned Aunt Minerva Kent, in ACTION COMICS 160 (September 1951)--there are several other Kents, either as contemporaries or ancestors. And then again in Bob Greenberger and Marty Pasko's THE ESSENTIAL SUPERMAN ENCYCLOPEDIA there are even more Kents. But Martha's side of the family are harder to track, because they either have no last name or not a last name like Clark--so that would involve more painstaking research.

In THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY 13 (January 1981), the Kents head to California to visit Martha's sister, Mary, and her husband, Fred--but no last name is given. In that story young Clark meets young Hal Jordan for the first time. In the Bible, Martha is the sister of Mary, so that might be why Mary is the sister of Martha--but Fred is a mystery. Poor Mary--her older sister looks so young, seems to have got even younger looking if anything--must make Mary feel self-conscious.

The Kents have also fostered or adopted other kids besides Clark--including Cory Renwald in THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERBOY 19 (July 1981). And many other youngsters they've taken care of over the years, like Bob Cobb (a.k.a. Lar Gand a.k.a. Mon-El), Matrix "Mae" Supergirl and Conner (Superboy) Kent.

Astonishing Member

I don't accept the versions that have Clark attending a college in Kansas. After all, how could one of his classmates in Kansas have been a mermaid?

My headcanon is that after graduating High School, Clark / Kal spends several years full-time with the Legion, staying off-world until about a year before he publicly debuts as Superman on our world.

Incredible Member

I grew up in the Silver Age where it was Metropolis University.

But that clearly is in doubtful continuity.

Would the Daily Planet really hire someone who had zero journalism experience?
    I doubt it to be honest. Clark would have to submit pieces somewhere over the years.

My own head canon is that Clark went to school at KU, attending on a scholarship.
    KU has an excellent school of journalism by the way.
    But some of Clark's work went national before he graduated. He did tour the world
    for a time, but that came after he graduated. Perry White was surprised when Clark
    showed up. But Clark reminded him that White had promised him a job when he was ready.

My head canon has Lois by contrast a girl who never went to university. She couldn't
    stand being around her father anymore by say age 14. She traveled extensively through the
    US and Canada (don't ask me how she got in, she just did. Would you say no to Lois Lane?).
    Along the way Lois freelanced, had numerous pieces published. She was sought out by Perry
    White who brought her to Metropolis. The whole Smallville joke Lois has done for years, also
    reflects that he was j-school, while she was not. When Perry assigned Clark to Lois, she thought
    of him as not only a hick from the sticks, but a hick fresh from journalism school, who lacked her
    street smarts. Of course, Clark proved that he was a good journalist, but that would take time.

Extraordinary Member

I also like BR's version where he simply accumulates the number of credits required to earn a degree from a bunch of different institutions while traveling the world and accumulating the clips (stories he's written) to land a job at the Daily Planet. I never liked the idea that he just stayed in Kansas without getting to know the world he vowed to protect before debuting in Metropolis. Conversely, I also don't like the idea of Clark going to college in Metropolis, either, as it makes his debut as Superman there less dramatic. Like, literally, my favorite part of any origin story is where he literally just gets off the bus at the Metropolis bus station and soaks in Metropolis for the first time.

I realize Miller's Superman Year One may be a bit controversial here, but his Clark joined the navy as a way to learn about the world and his powers, which I guess makes a sort of sense, too, and would help explain how he managed to pick up some fighting skills, but I'm still not so sure how I feel about that one.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Retired

Well, Smallville was close to Metropolis in pre-Crisis continuity, so it's not like he had far to go. And in my head, Metropolis University isn't in the City of Metropolis, it's outside on its own reserve of land. In the In-Between years, Bob Rozakis makes the point that at first nobody knows where Superboy is going to end up, after he leaves Smallville. It's Perry White who gets to break the story that Superboy is the official hero of Metropolis. Around then, Clark decides to take the Superman name.