Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member Kara Danvers's Avatar

Default DC’s New Superman, Jon Kent, Comes Out as Bisexual in Upcoming Comic

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/s...al-1235086193/

I don't like Jon as Superman but this makes it worth it for me.

I posted this in another thread but I think it belongs here as well, my take -

Okay, I'm going to say something here that will likely offend people but I feel it needs to be said. I think Editorial made them both (Tim and Jon) bi so they can still date women if their relationships with men become "problematic" for marketing to Middle America down the road. Maybe I'm cynical, but I doubt representation for bisexual men was the driving force behind this choice.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Okay, I'm going to say something here that will likely offend people but I feel it needs to be said. I think Editorial made them both (Tim and Jon) bi so they can still date women if their relationships with men become "problematic" for marketing to Middle America down the road. Maybe I'm cynical, but I doubt representation for bisexual men was the driving force behind this choice.
    That's a very, very slippery slope. I'm not saying it's not true, but if it is true and that fact gets out, the backlash would be almost as big as the backlash they were trying to avoid.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

BANNED

I literally thought of that.

It's kinda like diet gay. But I do understand bisexuality does have it's stigma But it's feels too tactical to be solely because of representation.

Either way congratulations to Jon for coming out?

Incredible Member

I'm still firmly against the age up and still want it undone. And I intend to keep personally boycotting the Superman books until it is. I don't either way about his sexuality. My only concern is how this might affect the prospects of him getting de-aged, and even then I don't really care whether it makes it more messy, because the age up was a bad idea and a mess of itself and needs to be undone. So I'm still firmly De-age Jon.

"Look guys, we're not REALLY creatively bankrupt and just copying Clark Kent because Jon's bi now and Clark wasn't!"

Its a patronizing move, if its anything at all. DC and Taylor are basically asking readers, of whom most are long-time and been around the block a time or two, to believe that the motivation for this is progressiveness and not a gimmick to give weight to a larger poorly conceived and implemented idea. You wanna give meaningful representation? Go ahead and write Diana in a real time same-sex relationship. I'll give credit for that, an actual addition to an already fully three-dimensional character and her lore and whom the move is inherently supported. This? Lipstick on a pig to justify the most moronic decision they've ever made in the Superman mythos by replacing the real deal.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-11-2021 at 11:44 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

They need a better artist on this comic.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    They need a better artist on this comic.
    Yes !! Please

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Lipstick on a pig to justify the most moronic decision they've ever made in the Superman mythos by replacing the real deal.
    No one is being replaced. Last I checked, Action Comics still has Clark as Superman in it.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Of course he's being replaced. Just because he's still around doesn't mean he's not still having his best known attributes and things that make him tick being taken from him for someone else. Secret ID, Earth, Metropolis, powers, that's all Jon's now. Well not secret ID, they're not giving Jon one of those, but it was still taken away from Kal. Superman is aging, losing his powers, and being cast as the old guard. Yes he still has Action, but its telling a story of his decline and moving onto something "new".
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-11-2021 at 11:51 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Well, that's business. Whoever says anything, but they value it more than representation, there is no need to assume otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Of course he's being replaced. Just because he's still around doesn't mean he's not still having his best known attributes and things that make him tick being taken from him for someone else. Earth, Metropolis, powers, that's all Jon's now. Superman is aging, losing his powers, and being cast as the old guard. Yes he still has Action, but its telling the story of his decline.
    Come on, there won't be any permanent replacement, it's not how it works for them. Just like there's no chance of Jace, Damian, Dick or Terry completely replacing Bruce, or Yara replacing Diana.
    Last edited by Morgoth; 10-11-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Amazing Member

I like Jon to be bisexual, but I'd prefer have his bisexuality explored rather than connect him up with someone as quickly as they're doing. let the boy have fun before connect him up with someone
    Last edited by Betinayen; 10-11-2021 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post

Come on, there won't be any permanent replacement, it's not how it works for them. Just like there's no chance of Jace, Damian, Dick or Terry completely replacing Bruce, or Yara replacing Diana.
    No there won't be, but that's just because the movement will fail. Its the attempt that's insulting, the waste of time. Even if they know its brief. And frankly I'm not sure of that right now. Everything suggests they want this to be long-term.

Extraordinary Member

Wouldn't there been a better synergy with Tim coming out if they had done that with Connor.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Haters are going to complain regardless of how it's handled but at least in this case they can't play the "YOU'RE RUINING MY CHILDHOOD!" card. He's only been around for five years.
    Assassinate Putin!