Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mindi View Post
    My two cents is that like all the other times they do this my mind comes to "was this necessary for his character?", I like comics with good stories and with a superhero book I would like action with it first and not it becoming a romance book and action second. I don't know if I sound like a ******* or not but that what i think and in a less than a year something will happen to start talking get some headlines, thinking they will get people to read the comic and fail because that is what comics do now.
    Romance often plays a part in good stories with drama in them.

The "I want action first, romance second" argument also never seems to come up when it's between a man and a woman. The goal posts tend to shift when it's a queer romance.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
    The Tim Drake reveal plus the Jon Kent decision screams nakedly of marketing scheme than something organic ("Look, there is a bisexual Batkid, and now you'll get a bisexual Superkid too. And since Jon Kent is now closer in age to Tim than Damian, you'll be able to ship a Batman/Superman romance").

It definitely is a good thing for representation, but I just wish that it wasn't so overtly marketing driven.
    Yeah, that was my first thought: "oh, they must be planning to pair him with Tim". Literally the first thought that popped into my head, and there's no way in hell that DC/WB isn't thinking it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Pretty sure they weren't this angry when he went from 10 to 17 overnight. I guess some changes are more important than others.
    Right? The crazy thing is, I have absolutely zero issue with Jon being bi, and 999% issue with the fact that he's skipped more years than we've seen him live - and all because lazy comics writers can't get over puberty and fail at writing kids so badly that most just refuse to do so. *That's* what I'll always be pissed about.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

The "I want action first, romance second" argument also never seems to come up when it's between a man and a woman. The goal posts tend to shift when it's a queer romance.
    That's generally true, but I've repeatedly heard the Post-Crisis comics talked about as "soap opera-style" in a decidedly derisive way, so I wouldn't say never, at least with Superman.

I don't mean to take away from your point because it's well-taken, I just had to be a nerd and point that out.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

It completely depends if they give Jon other options. For example Wiccan and Hulking have only been together. So when they tried to do some shifting with the pairing there was some blow back at the writer. Same can be said for any pairing thats long term. So if they push them as the One true pairing here, you might see that reaction to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    It completely depends if they give Jon other options. For example Wiccan and Hulking have only been together. So when they tried to do some shifting with the pairing there was some blow back at the writer. Same can be said for any pairing thats long term. So if they push them as the One true pairing here, you might see that reaction to it.
    As a die hard Billy & Teddy Fan I must say it's a lil different I had no problem with them seeing other people majority didn't the way it was done was through adultery because a man who's now dating Billy's twin brother forced himself on Teddy, & then told him to dump Billy it's all very messy.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    That's generally true, but I've repeatedly heard the Post-Crisis comics talked about as "soap opera-style" in a decidedly derisive way, so I wouldn't say never, at least with Superman.

I don't mean to take away from your point because it's well-taken, I just had to be a nerd and point that out.
    Oh no, that's a good point as well. See also the Love Square of the Damned over in X-Men (or just Rogue's "Ah cain't touch you Remy!!").

But at least those generally have the chance to wear thin, whereas sometimes this excuse is trotted out right out of the gate when a queer romance is just announced.

To be honest, the argument that i usually heard with straight pairings in my expirience is "this pairing is bland/underdevoloped and it wasn't needed for the story". With that said, i'm certain that there is a lot of homophia coming from those that criticize this idea.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Comic romances are very hard to establish these days especially longterm ones that are just so iconic that they always have to come back to one another eventually. Jon & Jay will never be like Clark & Lois, Dick & Babs/Kori, Cyclops & Jean, Peter & MJ, Wiccan & Hulkling, pairings like that are really hard to do for modern writers.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    I wouldn't mind if they give him more options. I've never been a fan of OTPs unless the characters are married (e.g. Clark and Lois).
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Comic romances are very hard to establish these days especially longterm ones that are just so iconic that they always have to come back to one another eventually. Jon & Jay will never be like Clark & Lois, Dick & Babs/Kori, Cyclops & Jean, Peter & MJ, Wiccan & Hulkling, pairings like that are really hard to do for modern writers.
    Especially considering most readers don't care for romance, there are little incentives to put effort into including them.

But considering Son of Kal focuses a lot on character relationships I'm expecting Tom to put effort into developing the romance.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

As a die hard Billy & Teddy Fan I must say it's a lil different I had no problem with them seeing other people majority didn't the way it was done was through adultery because a man who's now dating Billy's twin brother forced himself on Teddy, & then told him to dump Billy it's all very messy.
    I remember and I was ticked off by it too. But thats the thing Marvel read the reaction as, "Can't split them up," and now that they are married its double that issue because one has to die or go missing for a break up because divorce is messy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    To be honest, the argument that i usually heard with straight pairings in my expirience is "this pairing is bland/underdevoloped and it wasn't needed for the story". With that said, i'm certain that there is a lot of homophia coming from those that criticize this idea.
    Yup, all the time, or that the non powered person is not going to make it physically having relationships with the powered character.

Amazing Member

I think that modern writers don't know how to develop a good Comic romance everything seems too rushed ... In the past things were not so rushed , it took a while to build the romance but it was very good read it in the comics ,
    Last edited by Betinayen; 10-12-2021 at 10:52 AM.

I think you still can, but you have to work for it. Bruno and Kamala for example, and for a while Miles and Kamala are two I can think of. Tim and Steph or Kathy and Renée. Both are modern.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Especially considering most readers don't care for romance, there are little incentives to put effort into including them.

But considering Son of Kal focuses a lot on character relationships I'm expecting Tom to put effort into developing the romance.
    And this is the issue. Even if Tom puts a lot into it. If they are doing the "he's Magneto " with Jay it becomes a waste as you can't have Charles and Erik together as they can't see eye to eye for long periods of time.

Arrow

I'm not so sure about that lol. I've often seen people over the years say they hate romance (hetero or otherwise) and prefer only action. The whole "so and so should not get engaged or married or have kids because it'll "ruin" the character" argument is quite a common one in the fandom.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Oh no, that's a good point as well. See also the Love Square of the Damned over in X-Men (or just Rogue's "Ah cain't touch you Remy!!").

But at least those generally have the chance to wear thin, whereas sometimes this excuse is trotted out right out of the gate when a queer romance is just announced.
    Oh, big time. There's definitely a difference - it just seems that anything deemed as not masculine gets derision on some level, at least. But yeah, it's not on the same level at all.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com