Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Wouldn't there been a better synergy with Tim coming out if they had done that with Connor.
    They want it to be a bigger deal, and they clearly don't care about Connor, let's be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Well, that's business. Whoever says anything, but they value it more than representation, there is no need to assume otherwise.

Come on, there won't be any permanent replacement, it's not how it works for them. Just like there's no chance of Jace, Damian, Dick or Terry completely replacing Bruce, or Yara replacing Diana.
    It never works out, Clark still being Superman shows that DC doesnt has faith to fully substitute Clark as Superman.
    DC got cold feet with 5G for good reasons

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Wait? why is everyone surprised? isn't this what the book has been leading upto?
    I mean jay had like neon lit sign board saying "Main love interest" in the issues we had.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-11-2021 at 12:09 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

1990s attention grabbing stunts:
    - Superman is dead!
    - Superman is married!
    - Superman now has electric powers!
    - Superman is now TWO electric guys, one red and other blue!

2020s attention grabbing stunts:
    - Superman's kid is bi!

Yaw, can we go back to the 90s now?

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I posted this in another thread but I think it belongs here as well, my take -

Okay, I'm going to say something here that will likely offend people but I feel it needs to be said. I think Editorial made them both (Tim and Jon) bi so they can still date women if their relationships with men become "problematic" for marketing to Middle America down the road. Maybe I'm cynical, but I doubt representation for bisexual men was the driving force behind this choice.
    Good thinking, you're right. Character can also easily go back to hetero by just saying something like he was "trying to find himself" at the time, just some "youthful experimentation".

And if someone complains about him being bi instead of gay, they get out the "Bi erasure" card.

This way, no matter how the Culture War leans left or right, they can veer to the side they have to.

I'm so tired of this twitter pandering, militant crud. People who don't even really like comics. Militants are doing to DC and Marvel what was done to Star Wars. I bet they will do it next to Warhammer 40k. All cool franchises must bend to the Cause no matter what.

Incredible Member

I didn't care about comic book Jon Kent before he came out, nor do I now that he has come out.
    Similar to how I felt about Tim Drake. The thing is that this is a way to gather attention,
    by having peripheral characters come out.

I'm sensitive to how this will strike many people as increasing representation. I hope we
    can avoid all of those debates we had when Tim Drake came out. Everything has been said.
    Last edited by RobinGA; 10-11-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinGA View Post
    I didn't care about comic book Jon Kent before he came out, nor do I now that he has come out.
    Similar to how I felt about Tim Drake. The thing is that this is a way to gather attention,
    by having peripheral characters come out.

I'm sensitive to how this will strike many people as increasing representation. I hope we
    can avoid all of those debates we had when Tim Drake came out. Everything has been said.
    If one of the Trinity came out (and Diana has been low key bi for awhile anyways) you’d hear even more cries of “don’t change an established character, create a new one”
    So they have Jon, who’s young without much romantic history, come out and people complain anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I posted this in another thread but I think it belongs here as well, my take -

Okay, I'm going to say something here that will likely offend people but I feel it needs to be said. I think Editorial made them both (Tim and Jon) bi so they can still date women if their relationships with men become "problematic" for marketing to Middle America down the road. Maybe I'm cynical, but I doubt representation for bisexual men was the driving force behind this choice.
    "Let it never be mentioned again!" Yeah, I can see that happening, however, I still think they'll insist on the push.

I really couldn't care less. Never liked Jon. Could barely stand him as a kid, really think he's a waste of page as a teen. This won't do anything for me. I just think, with all the" have your cakes and eat them too" DC is attempting, they'll soon need a COIE kind of event to line up all their ducks again. Then they can decide from the get go who will be what.

Peace

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    Good thinking, you're right. Character can also easily go back to hetero by just saying something like he was "trying to find himself" at the time, just some "youthful experimentation".
    They could also just reveal that the guy died his hair with Pink Kryptonite

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    If one of the Trinity came out (and Diana has been low key bi for awhile anyways) you’d hear even more cries of “don’t change an established character, create a new one”
    So they have Jon, who’s young without much romantic history, come out and people complain anyways.
    Exactly this.

As for those complaining that this is just pandering or whatever by embracing diversity for financial gain: NEWSFLASH! Everything decision both of the big 2 make is for financial gain! This isn't any different.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Out of all the changes they've made with Jon in the past few years, this probably bothers me the least (even if I feel like they did Kathy a disservice once Bendis showed up) although like with Tim it just feels like something that's getting sensationalized.

Kind of makes me wonder if this would come up in Superman and Lois and whether they'd make Jordan or Jon bi (although I feel like won't come up).

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    1990s attention grabbing stunts:
    - Superman is dead!
    - Superman is married!
    - Superman now has electric powers!
    - Superman is now TWO electric guys, one red and other blue!

2020s attention grabbing stunts:
    - Superman's kid is bi!
    You know you could have all of that ...
    A dead married electric twin bi superman who is the son of the original superman...There you go..A recipe for success..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Niffleheim

Here I was still hoping and wishing for Jon to be de-aged back to the little dude that I was Initially introduced to lmao! That isn't going to happen now is it? lol! This is too sad. Good luck Jon.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    That didn't stopped outing Tim Drake, so this isn't the reason. The reason is that DC is not that brave and still want the big tree being big cashcows for them

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Out of all the changes they've made with Jon in the past few years, this probably bothers me the least (even if I feel like they did Kathy a disservice once Bendis showed up) although like with Tim it just feels like something that's getting sensationalized.

Kind of makes me wonder if this would come up in Superman and Lois and whether they'd make Jordan or Jon bi (although I feel like won't come up).
    "disservice once Bendis showed up" I can say this for his entire DC work.

CW has been very open about LGBT characters, but being Superman brand for general public who knows
    Last edited by Writerblog; 10-11-2021 at 12:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean does anyone really care after the up ageing.

Super Sons was a fun book, and pre teen heroes, was something DC didn't really had in their line up before, and might have been a great IP for younger readers, for whom DC doesn't really have much content in the main continuity. But of course you have to age him up because DC doesn't really have enough teen hero's they have no idea what to do with ...

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I mean does anyone really care after the up ageing.

Super Sons was a fun book, and pre teen heroes, was something DC didn't really had in their line up before, and might have been a great IP for younger readers, for whom DC doesn't really have much content in the main continuity. But of course you have to age him up because DC doesn't really have enough teen hero's they have no idea what to do with ...
    A lot of people actually